PDA

View Full Version : Olly Beak's link

Loose rivets
14th Dec 2006, 17:34
Just in case you don't go TRABBING, this gets seriously funny in the 'Letterse to the editor' page. Thanks to Olly for the link.

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/localnews/display.var.1039169.0.marksman_called_in_to_kill_kingstons_p igeons.php

tony draper
14th Dec 2006, 18:40
When one reads stuff like that one realises there is yet hope for this country,the feckers have not ground us completely down.:rolleyes:

green granite
14th Dec 2006, 18:46
Should ensure a lot of pigeon pies for the local schools then, good healthy meat, and helps recover some of the costs :ok:

green granite
14th Dec 2006, 21:18
Did you all enjoy the outing? :cool::E

tony draper
14th Dec 2006, 21:24
Cant say I have ever tasted Pigeon,shot a few in me time and the lad I used to shoot with's dad had a fondness for pigeon pie and used to get our bag, watched his mum making one once, struck me there did not seem to be a lot of meat on em,hardly worth the effort,anybody know what pigeon tastes like?
:rolleyes:

Lon More
14th Dec 2006, 21:27
pigeon = winged rat. Don't fancy rat pie either.
Cue for rat-catcher joke?

green granite
14th Dec 2006, 21:35
Braised pigeon breast is delicious, much better than chicken :ok:

tony draper
14th Dec 2006, 21:52
I'm always supprised Rabbit is not more popular among the health food nazi's, those who still eat meat that is, it is a white meat devoid of fat like chicken and has more flavour, which would not be difficult, to me chicken has been devoid of any taste for years, unless one smothers them in curry sauce or the like, nowt tastier than a rabbit pie wi leeks onions and slices of black pudding under a nice crust IMHO.
Years since I had Rabbit,last one I bought was not a great success,mainly because I had forgot how to cook the buggah that and it was chinese in origin,seems to me there should be no shortage of home grown wabbits in this green and pleasent land of ours.
:cool:

VnV2178B
15th Dec 2006, 09:12
Pigeon breast, casseroled, seemed to be the best way to eat the things. Roasted the bones just became too much of a nuisance to bother with. So rip off the good meaty bits, leave them overnight in a red wine and garlic marinade then slow cook in good stock.

Used to get them from a friend, who did the messy bits for me, he was a farmer's son-in-law and they had periodic culls to keep the flying rats down.
All went swimmingly until he shot a green parrot!

Finally he upped and went to Skye to keep sheep, should heve been cows really, as his name was Bull.

VnV

Standard Noise
15th Dec 2006, 09:24
Hope for this country!? Have you read those letters, they're all nuts....

"the flying wizards of satan"
"kill them with axes"
"hack the wings off......join them together to make one big wing......children could shelter under it at times of heavy rain..."
"Two come and visit me each day and tell me things. They told me not to discuss this with anyone...."
"I defecated on a pigeon once." ???

And my favourite, "Can I just say that this letter column is degenerating into a farce, a French one with bedroom doors opening and closing and men running round with their trousers round their ankles and women pottering about in high heels. And what's that got to do with pigeons? Nothing! That's right! NOTHING! NOTHING! NOTHING!"

Absolutely priceless.:ugh:

ORAC
15th Dec 2006, 10:14
Road Kill Café (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2504978.html): Fancy squirrel stew or roast fox? TV chef gets meals from tarmac to table

Will fresh badger burgers replace Turkey Twizzlers? A new series from Jamie Oliver will champion the culinary merits of roadkill.

In the BBC programme Road Kill Café, viewers are shown how to forage by the roadside for foxes, squirrels and chickens that have met a sticky end. Fergus Drennan, a food forager who supplies restaurants including The Ivy and Oliver’s Fifteen, demonstrates how to test animals for rigor mortis. If the death is recent, Drennan promises to create a tasty meal from tarmac to table within 24 hours of bumper impact.

The programme, created for BBC Three by Oliver’s Fresh One production company, aims to show that fresh fox, hedgehog and badger have a nutritional value that is greater than supermarket meats.

Drennan, 35, describes himself as a “vegetarian who eats roadkill” because “it has not been killed on your behalf”. He invited locals in Sandwich, Kent, to join him on a three-week foraging expedition. The programme concludes with a banquet of food found on beaches, in forest undergrowth and in roadside gutters.

The RSPCA warned the producers to stay on the right side of the law. A spokeswoman said: “We have welfare concerns over roadkill food. Participants may have to prove that an animal was already dead when they found it. Badgers and deer are protected under the law and it is an offence to possess any part of a badger.”

Drennan, who has been a forager for 15 years, argues that he is reviving skills learnt by our ancestors as they rose to the challenge of survival. He commends roadkill on his website, saying: “It is fresh, local, seasonal and nutritionally rich.”

The programme is accompanied by an appetite-threatening series in which diners follow a meal from farm and abattoir to their table. Each programme in Meat follows the life and death of one animal. An invited group witnesses the slaughter at a small abattoir of a different species each night.

Once the carcass has been prepared, a butcher explains the different cuts of meat. A chef then prepares a meal for the audience. The BBC said that the programme “demystifies the process of how food ends up on our plates”.....

VnV2178B
15th Dec 2006, 14:44
And another thing "he is reviving skills learnt by our ancestors" ?

What kind of road-kill did our hunter-gatherer forebears come across?

Was Ugg rolling his shiny new ban-dan-bladder-striddle* along a track one day when it got out of control and did for some poor mastodon that just happened to get in the way and he thought 'Aha, lunch? - all I need now is to invent fire, and pottery and cutlery and have a word with that nice Mr. Michelin, the Cro-Magnon critic about getting a listing.

VnV...

* Google it, add Peter Cook to be sure!
And, yes, I do know Drodbar invented it, but Ugg was on a test drive, d'y'see