PDA

View Full Version : Extreme surfers' rescue snub sparks row

Telstar
14th Dec 2006, 14:16
Extreme surfers' rescue snub sparks row

14/12/2006 - 14:46:31

Hardcore surfers have been swept into a wave of controversy after incurring the wrath of the rescue services.

A small group of extreme surfers took a jet-ski off the west coast in search of a notorious 35-foot barrelling wave nicknamed Aileen.

But despite hitting difficulties the group rejected a rescue bid because the helicopter team refused to save their surfboards. The incident has now sparked an angry reprimand from officials.

The wave is named after the Aill na Searrach headland it breaks under at the foot of the towering Cliffs of Moher, among Europe’s highest coastlines.

Aileen is among a handful of world-renowned monster waves attracting a growing band of thrill-seekers.

But when three surfers reported to be in difficulty at the break on November 24 they refused to be airlifted by a search helicopter because it would not take their surfboards onboard.

A storm has since erupted within the rescue authorities.

The Irish Marine Search and Rescue Committee (IMSARC) called a meeting and took the unusual step of issuing a statement today about its deep concern at the incident.

It stated “in the strongest terms” that the behaviour of the surfers involved was “completely unacceptable” to the rescue agencies and to the maritime community.

Surfers placing themselves “in undue peril in the expectation that the rescue services will respond is totally unacceptable, reprehensible and dangerously irresponsible”, the statement said.

The pilot and crew of the helicopter managed “exceptional airmanship and courage” close to the cliff-face to lower a winch man on a 260-foot cable during the aborted mission.

But when the surfers declined to be rescued unless their boards were coming too, the helicopter had to retreat to its onshore base and allow local lifeboats to continue the dangerous operation.

Michael Kelly, chairman of the Irish Surfing Association (ISA), said it was an incident that was going to reoccur as the sport became increasingly popular in Ireland.

The body estimates that between 20,000 and 50,000 people surf in Ireland, based on a sliding scale of how frequently they are in the sea. Some are year-round surfers. Others may surf in the summer only.

He insisted part of the problem with safety measures lay with the refusal of the Department of the Marine to recognise surfboards as legitimate craft and bring the activity under its remit.

He urged talks among the department, the rescue services and surfers’ groups, including those representing the couple of dozen extreme big-wave surfers living in Ireland.

“It’s a very big subject. What if someone who knows very little about (surfing) calls out rescue services for somebody who is in trouble and they are not in trouble? We’ve had situations like that in the past,” he said.

“I would like a bit more of an investigation because this is a subject that is going to come more and more to the fore in the months and years to come. Perhaps now is the time to highlight the issue and how to deal with it.”

In the meantime, he stressed that the ISA advised all surfers to have the utmost respect for and do exactly as they are told by search-and-rescue authorities.

“Our advice is to unconditionally respect every instruction from the rescue services,” he said.

“We as an organisation have no right to tell anybody to do anything. We are not a licensing organisation. All we can do is advise.”

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWIDSNMHQLOJ

Sudden Stop
14th Dec 2006, 14:34
As someone who has on occasion taken a dip in the north atlantic I have no problem in saying that if they refuse to go - leave them to sort themselves out. If I was in trouble at sea, I would do anything to make it back alive and if that involved doing as I was told by someone who was risking his life to save mine, I would damn well do it.

What a bunch of clowns :ugh: If they were worried about the cost of replacing their boards, charging them for the aborted rescue will make them think twice.

Bladecrack
14th Dec 2006, 14:37
Saw a similar sory about a surfer in the states, refused rescue by the SAR heli unless he could bring his board! :rolleyes: Its a pretty selfish attitude considering the effort and risks crews are taking to save lives. If they refuse rescue then they take their chances.... I think anyone wasting valuable resources like that should get a bill for the SAR operation..... If they dont pay, then send them straight to the grey bar motel!! :E
BC.

London Mil
14th Dec 2006, 14:58
I would also send them a bill for all the wasted AVTUR.

NickLappos
14th Dec 2006, 15:05
Arrest for endangerment is not too small a penalty. 30 days in the hooscow for their foolish acts and endangerment of others 9the rescuees, lifeboat and helo) is quite warrented, imho.

brings up that old thread about ill-prepared record setters in tiny helos on the antarctic being considered heroic, doesn't it?

Where does bravery stop and foolish conduct begin?

SASless
14th Dec 2006, 15:08
A few questions spring to mind here....

Who called out the SAR boys? The surfers or someone else?

Did the Surfers "self rescue" after refusing the helicopter help?

Did the Surfers accept rescue by boat after refusing the helicopter?

Anyone recall the two old folks that got cut off by the rising tide....someone called out the SAR gang....the old folks refused the help....waited for the tide to recede then walked back to their car none the worse for their extended stay in the rain?

Perhaps a bit of research is needed before painting the surfers as you have.

If they called for help then refused it.....I will join the chorus...but not until all of the facts are known.

Just why would anyone consider a surf board something to be licensed, regulated, and fecked about by the authorities? Time to get yer heads out of yer butts on that demand!

Not a surfer...never have been....but have looked down the wire at folks in need.

Bravo73
14th Dec 2006, 15:23
brings up that old thread about ill-prepared record setters in tiny helos on the antarctic being considered heroic, doesn't it?

Where does bravery stop and foolish conduct begin?

Oooh, Nick. Watch what you say. := ;) I got a 'rap over the knuckles' recently for mentioning the very same event.... :O

Or are you talking about the other 'ill-prepared record setters in tiny helos' near the Antarctic??? :E

HillerBee
14th Dec 2006, 15:24
Extreme surfers' rescue snub sparks row
14/12/2006 - 14:46:31

He insisted part of the problem with safety measures lay with the refusal of the Department of the Marine to recognise surfboards as legitimate craft and bring the activity under its remit.

I don't see what that has to do with it. Or does that imply that the SAR have to take my boat in the helicopter as well?!??!?

Gordy
14th Dec 2006, 17:39
Seems that the broader issue has come up before. I do not know the facts, but in true Pprune fashion, these are the rumors I heard: Yachtsman crossing the Atlantic, needing to be rescued---If they are winched off under their own free will, then the insurance companies will claim they "abandoned" their craft and refuse to pay. I heard that winch-men would have to "incapacitate" the sailors to get them to leave.
I know when I flew in Hawaii that there were plenty of kayakers rescued from inaccessible beaches, leaving the kayaks behind. These were then fair game for anyone who could get.
I'm guessing the surfers do not have their boards insured in the first place, and those boards can be pretty expensive. I'm not a surfer either---just used to hang with a bunch of them.
My 02 cents

Telstar
16th Dec 2006, 11:42
From the Irish Times

Surfers to seek meeting with rescue service over fines row

Paul Cullen

Surfer representatives are to seek a meeting with the Irish Marine Search and Rescue Committee (IMSRC) over its threat to have penalties imposed on three surfers who refused assistance from the Coast Guard last month.

The surfers could face fines of up to €2,000 each and a Garda investigation as a result of the incident, in which they refused to be winched to safety in a Coast Guard helicopter.

Up to 40 people were involved in the rescue effort off the Cliffs of Moher on November 24th, which was sparked by a call to emergency services from an onshore observer who saw the surfers get into difficulty.

However, Tom Buckley, who runs a surf shop in Lahinch and witnessed the incident, said yesterday the rescue should never have taken place.

"I have the height of regard for the rescue services, but they should never have been called out. The men were having difficulties but these were not insurmountable."

The main problem they faced was to get their equipment, which included surfboards, a jet ski and photographic equipment, back to Doolin, he said. The men, who are Irish, were all accomplished surfers with years of experience, he added.

"You have to be on top of your game to be out on the waves where they were, at this time of the year."

The Irish Surfing Association's position was that the surfers should accept to be rescued if similar circumstances arose. However, those involved were not members of the association and never considered themselves to be in danger, Mr Buckley said.

The IMSRC had expressed concern that when the helicopter pilot went into position, the people who were in trouble declined assistance unless their surfboards could be taken on the helicopter. Eventually the surfers were rescued by the Doolin Coast Guard Unit boat and transferred to the Aran Islands lifeboat.

It said the provisions of the Maritime Safety Act were being examined with a view to action.

"During the course of the attempted helicopter rescue, the pilot and crew had displayed exceptional airmanship and courage in manoeuvring the aircraft into position to carry out the rescue. They were operating close up against the cliff face and succeeded in lowering the winch man on a 260ft cable to recover the surfers who had become stranded on rocks below.

"The committee expressed its deep concern in relation to this incident and wishes to state in the strongest terms that the behaviour of the surfers involved was completely unacceptable to the rescue agencies and to the maritime community that it represents.

The statement continued: "The actions of those who seek recreation on Irish waters and who then place themselves in undue peril in the expectation that the rescue services will respond is . . . dangerously irresponsible."

It added that the committee stressed "that the rescue services in Ireland never fail to give assistance to any person in distress at sea or elsewhere. Therefore, there is an obligation on the public . . . to respond to the reasonable requests made by the rescue units at the scene of any incident in an effort to save life."

Colonal Mustard
16th Dec 2006, 12:00
It`s Very Easy to resolve............ANYBODY in ANY sport,hobby or Sea based task who DOES NOT want to be airlifted should wear a particular colour wet/dry suit or jacket, E.g Flourescent Purple, this should indicate to rescuers from the air that the person only wants recovering if the board comes with them.

The person being rescued has had to decide at the point they put the suit on that they forgo any chance of being airlifted.....

This however must go hand in hand with a publicity campaign to enlighten boarders as to what the suit means.

16th Dec 2006, 12:52
Two points here from me - firstly the surfers claim to be at the top of their game to be able to surf the desired waves yet still end up stranded on the rocks. I suggest the top of the surfing game might be beyond their reach.

Secondly, maybe one of them would like to experience being winched whilst carrying a surfboard - the resultant rate of spin would soon make him change his mind, especially with a 260 foot ride to the top.

Surfboards are not that expensive and for a few quid can be adequately insured, including 3rd party liability in case you snot someone else with the end of your board in busy waters.

TheMonk
17th Dec 2006, 01:27
<<SNIPPED>>
If they were worried about the cost of replacing their boards, charging them for the aborted rescue will make them think twice.

I agree 100%:ok:

mini
17th Dec 2006, 01:55
SASless has stated my opinion on this issue,

Who called the helo?

I've been in a situation where a lifeboat was called to rescue me & two buddys, we had recognised our situation & were taking action when the Lifeboat appeared, someone onshore had decided we needed rescuing & had called the hotline. We explained our situation and made our own way to shore. The lifeboat returned to base without us.

Its not always black or white... lets have the full story.

PS never surfed in my life...

Thridle Op Des
17th Dec 2006, 08:50
As a once fanatical windsurfer operating out of the Canaries, I agree with the comments where we should see what the real situation is here. I have been speed sailing off the south coast in a force 5 cross offshore which has a higher element of risk than usual as you are being blown away from the coastline, however it is the only way to get reasonably flat water for the speed. An inshore lifeboat chased me for a kilometer or two to see if I was OK and once they were happy all was well they headed off to find a child on a lilo, they are all good lads and I'm a big fan. I was confident of my self rescue capability and I was dressed properly for the occasion also I was prepared to ditch the rig if it became too serious and use the board as a float.
In the Canaries there were no rescue facilities that would come out to pick up errant windsurfers. I rather think that these boys would have been out on Aileen even if there was no SAR - thats what they do, these days its a global search for the best conditions and part of the sport.
It's too easy to shoot from the hip here, the problems of having an arguement with the guy on the wire as to weather you really need rescuing in the heat of the moment are considerable. Where does the responsibility lie? Should people be rescued if they don't want to be? If there is a distinct call for help then obviously fair enough, but we are too ready to sink into the 'Nanny State' if people cannot take their own non-collateral risk assessments.

Regards

TOD

spinning
17th Dec 2006, 18:30
Let them drown....