PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaagggghhhh!!! Bad driving.

Captain Smithy
14th Dec 2006, 14:38
I was just reading the "Supermarkets/Post Offices" thread, getting much amusement from it, and it got me thinking. Usually around this time of year, everyone seems to go haywire. Especially on the roads. It can get really crazy at times.

This year seems to have been the worst ever. My commute to work involves a 7 mile drive through Edinburgh city centre. It takes me around 25 minutes to get there... on the way home, due to traffic, it can take 35 minutes. Nothing particularly special about this route. But the driving standards over the past few weeks have really slipped into the gutter.

I have lost count of the number of people who have jumped red lights, blatant red lights, when the traffic coming the other way has started moving. I have lost count of the number of people who have pulled out of openings without looking, dangerously close to other traffic. The other week a taxi pulled out of an opening in front of me when I was 5 car lengths away - I was almost wearing my windscreen in my face. Also tailgating seems to have become a fad, as has lane-chopping at the last minute, undertaking etc. Sometimes commuting seems like watching animals battling each other for survival. And don't get me strated about cyclists - those who are stupid enough to go out cycling in the dark, in gale-force winds and heavy rain, without any lighting or safety equipment. None of this is out-of-the-ordinary, but it seems like everyone is doing it now, not just the normal few idiots. And I admit fully I am not a perfect driver - heck, nobody is - but I follow the highway code, I don't jump lights, I don't tailgate, I don't do stupid things to other road users. Just wondered what everyone's observations were on Britain's bad driving, sometimes I feel like I'm going to go mad. Grrrrrrrrr!:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Why can't everybody just drive properly? D'oh!

Anyway, rant over. Sorry to seem like such a torn-face... I just needed to let that out. Aaah, I feel much better!

Cheers

Smithy

cavortingcheetah
14th Dec 2006, 14:49
:hmm:

Down here in Britain the driving is really neither better nor worse than usual. Up there, north of the border in Scotland, perhaps the locals are gearing up for independence, a consummation devoutly to be wished!:p
Is absence to be penalised by a commensurate reduction in the tally of previous posts?

Captain Smithy
14th Dec 2006, 14:52
Heh heh heh! Well, I hope not, let's not get into the "independance" debate... :yuk: I'm totally against it and I'm sick of hearing about it, but that's for another forum:}

Captain Smithy
14th Dec 2006, 14:54
Is absence to be penalised by a commensurate reduction in the tally of previous posts?

Er... come again?:confused:

Grainger
14th Dec 2006, 14:56
Getting a bit ahead of yourself, aren't you cc ?

Last time I checked, Scotland was still part of Britain :ouch:

Smithy - sadly, all those things you mention are a natural consequence of today's speed camera culture. None of the examples of bad driving that you mentioned are deemed important as long as they can keep the numbers up with lots of camera tickets. Safe drivers lose their licences, but the tailgaters, aggressive drivers and those who plain don't know what the hell's going on around them are just left to cause mayhem for the rest of us.

cavortingcheetah
14th Dec 2006, 15:15
:hmm:

Scotland joined Britain in 1603.
Four hundred years is long enough for the continuance of a significant error of monarchial judgement.:{

Captain Smithy
14th Dec 2006, 15:23
Must be a nationalist thing.

CWL2YOW
14th Dec 2006, 16:37
Smithy - please don't move to Canada as you'll see this on a daily basis. This morning, for example, I saw a pick up truck driving half a car length behind a people carrier at about 100kmh. Cars diving into spaces just a few car lengths apart is not uncommon, cyclists coming the wrong way down one way streets, Crackberry addicts (ie Blackberry) typing away. And drivers wonder why there are so many accidents each day in Ottawa...