PDA

View Full Version : be Happy - to a Degree

ORAC
14th Dec 2006, 10:30
BBC: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6177719.stm) College to teach happiness degree :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

A London college is going to teach people how to be happy and contented as a study found that happier people live at least 10 years longer than others.

The course, Positive Psychology, starts in February 2007. It will teach how people can achieve career and personal goals by being positive. The degree aims to help people striving to achieve a work-life balance. Students will be given real-life situations as case studies and will be taught to meet the challenges with a positive outlook.

Dr Ilona Boniwell, a senior lecturer on the new course, said: "A happier person is better not only because happiness feels nice but also because a happier person is likely to live longer, up to nine years longer. A happier person is able to help much more people around them. A happier person is much more responsive to other people's needs," she said.

Anna O' Reilly, a student who signed up for the course, said: "It's changed me as an individual... I feel this is very empowering."

tony draper
14th Dec 2006, 11:08
Bah! tiz this lust to succeed the ambition to get on, to climb the greasy pole that causes all this unhappyness, being contented with what one has is the secret,to plot scheme and study just to scratch one's way one place up the pecking order just int worth the hassle.
:rolleyes:

VnV2178B
14th Dec 2006, 11:11
Eh?

The course STARTS next February, so how can a student who can't have done it yet find it 'empowering'? It might turn out a load of cobblers for all she knows.

Perhaps I should think about joining too cos I am nearly a miserable a s*d as Drapes when it comes to believing in 'empowering' things.

Grump, Grump, Grump...

VnV

edit: (I didn't read Drapes' contribution, honest! must have read his mind )

tony draper
14th Dec 2006, 11:22
One has come to the conclusion after many years of study that the secrets of attaining happiness and contentment is a good daily grump,better than all this feckin excercise and healthy eating for one's personel well being.
:rolleyes:

ORAC
14th Dec 2006, 12:22
The course STARTS next February, so how can a student who can't have done it yet find it 'empowering'? It might turn out a load of cobblers for all she knows

She´s just being positive, obviously getting into the right frame of mind for the course. Should do well.... :hmm:

VnV2178B
14th Dec 2006, 13:01
:confused:
I just replied and the server threw it away,

I meant to say, if she can get that enthusiastic before the course starts maybe she doesn't need it and should give up her place (we could club together and send Drapes :) ) or what on earth will she be like after three years of enpowerment?

I shouldn't knock anyone trying to put a little bit more happiness into the world though, we need all we can get. It's just that I have had to sit throught three hours of management-speak briefing and am feeling somewhat jaded.

Smile, things could get worse... :)

VnV

Wyler
14th Dec 2006, 13:02
I'm with Mr Draper. The world needs to stand still and catch it's breath. Too much rushing about and clamour for bits of paper. What's the point of having lots of money if you are never at home long enough to enjoy it.

The best things in life are simple: a walk with the dog, quenching ones thirst, satisfying a hunger or, my favourite, a damn good scratch. :E :ok:

frostbite
14th Dec 2006, 14:44
"The best things in life are simple"

The three best:-

A drink before

A smoke afterwards