PDA

View Full Version : Scotland, Noah & The Flood..

ORAC
14th Dec 2006, 07:06
Good thing St Swithin´s day is in July..... :uhoh:

The Times: (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,173-2502619,00.html) . . . but the rains still fall

Severe flood warnings were the order of the day in Scotland yesterday as more than 40 days of gales and rain showed little sign of letting up. The Scottish Environmental Protection Agency said that there was “serious danger to life and property” from the rivers Lyon and Tay in Perthshire, and the River Teith at Callander. There were also nine flood warnings and twenty-two flood watches in place elsewhere.

Scotland has suffered the wettest November on record, and there is more bad weather to come. Worst hit has been Glasgow, which has endured the highest levels of rainfall on record since the First World War. The city recorded 342mm of rain last month, double the expected average, while Scotland was drenched by 244mm of rain, significantly higher than the average 166mm November total.

Continuing torrential downpours have already delivered 141.5mm of rain this month, about 91 per cent of the total average for December. The outlook for this week continues to be poor for the West Coast and Central Belt, with up to 40mm of rain expected in some parts. The Highlands and the Northern Isles will be hit by 80mph gales.

A Met Office spokesman said: “It has rained every day in Scotland for more than 40 days and so far every day in December has brought wet weather. It’s not going to get any better.”

Grainger
14th Dec 2006, 09:41
Yup - it's like Venice here this morning. Roads closed, trains off, and fields turned into lakes.

Time to dust off my copy of The Kraken Wakes, I think...

Still, it's opened up a few more destinations for Lomond Seaplanes - ten out of ten for foresight, boys !

Howard Hughes
14th Dec 2006, 10:04
Perhaps you could 'pipe' a little our way....:}

One of the reservoirs in NSW only has 9% of capacity.:ooh:

tiggerific_69
14th Dec 2006, 10:12
St Swithins Day is my Birthday,and it doesnt often rain :ok:

tony draper
14th Dec 2006, 10:22
Well the sellers of water at exorbitant prices have been whinging about the lack of water in their reservoirs all summer,they at least should be happy,unless of course its the wrong kind of rain.
:hmm:

G-CPTN
14th Dec 2006, 10:28
I understand that Northumbrian Water have lodged a Planning Application to build a wall around Kielder Water to contain the extra rainfall. The alternative 'Low temperature storage solution' (plans to freeze the excess and stack it around the water's edge) has been abandoned due to Global Warming.