PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the EK payrise Thread (Muttley's Mystery revealed)

Ramboflyer 1
14th Dec 2006, 05:08
I hope poor muttley isnt sitting in a jail cell for his leaked info.

Check 'Six'
14th Dec 2006, 05:50
Muttley!! What happened?

BigGeordie
14th Dec 2006, 06:22
Hope the payrise hasn't gone the same way as the thread:confused:

helen-damnation
14th Dec 2006, 14:36
Could you PM it in the meantime please?:ok:

my salami
14th Dec 2006, 14:44
Yes please!!Pm it to me also....:ok:

puff m'call
14th Dec 2006, 17:33
Nice one dude.....:D

That's at least ten beers each.....:ok:

NG_Kaptain
14th Dec 2006, 17:47
My company initiated a program called Holiday Pay where a substantial financial incentive was added to days defined as holidays. Was quite amusing, the pilots who used to complain about having to fly over Easter or Christmas were now b#!*&#ing that those horrible senior pilots were now getting all the holiday flights and that they now had to stay at home. Such irony :) . Worked fine for me,was junior, so I got to spend Christmas with my kids.

Wiley
15th Dec 2006, 04:40
OK, I'd better qualify my remarks to follow by reiterating that this is a rumour network... but I heard only yesterday that someone in 'the orifice' is discussing the possibility of a 13% pay rise come January. I know, I know.. it's May when such things usually happen, but why January may be explained either as:-
(a) confirmation that this is just another groundless rumour, or
(b) perhaps a realisation by someone "up there" that they really do need to do something to both stem the current alarming spate of resignations AND tempt a few more more appropriate recruits into the fold.

While I've got my head up here in the hypoxia-inducing upper levels of cloud cookoo land, I'll repeat another rumour I heard quite recently - that AAR has asked for a report giving the +'s and -'s of basings. (An optimist would buy shares in a removalist company if he believed that.)

And to repeat the comment that was lost when Mutley found the Delete key on the morning after, I really hope 'they' don't try pulling the same trick again that they did a year or two ago when everyone in EK/DNATA was granted a 5% pay rise - except the pilots, who got their 3% contractural annual increment and a 2% pay rise.

Somehow I don't think the pilot group will take another sleight of hand like that as quietly now as they did then.

fatbus
15th Dec 2006, 07:59
15 sounds more like 50 and 13 sounds like 30 when said at a party , but I thought I heard the fat lady warming up at the EK hanger the other day

Gillegan
15th Dec 2006, 10:08
Windup? Well, you got me.:O

Vorsicht
15th Dec 2006, 10:29
I challenge anyone to give one compelling commercial reason for the company to offer basings. I personally dont think there are any.

I will put a caveat on that. Basings in Western first world countries.

V

atiuta
15th Dec 2006, 11:00
Add up your individual cost of;

Accommodation
Utilities
Education
ALT's
Medical & Dental (commensurate reduction in medical staff requirements and insurance costs)
Visa
Percentage of savings due to staff retention prior to retirement age
Percentage of training costs saved as quality of applicants improve
...anything else (?)

less

tax in your domicile or whatever is required to make the salary adequate.

equals

Savings/Cost of basings.

Ramboflyer 1
15th Dec 2006, 12:29
Basings rule ,cause eventually everyone wants to go home to be with family, EK is losing too much experience that would have stayed for basings.
When your house is paid off and kids finished school a pay hit aint that bad for a lifestyle change.
Ask the Jetstar boys they are real happy................:ok:

Trashed Aviator
15th Dec 2006, 12:34
I agree, Emirates is training pilots for maybe a 7-10 year cycle, when with bases they could keep them for 20-30 years , with the projected growth it would make a lot of sense to keep crew longer.

Vorsicht
15th Dec 2006, 16:22
Yeah, so add em up.

Then take that salary to any Western first world country, adjust for tax and compare the result. It will be less than you are taking home now. So in effect emirates will at the very least have to fork out as much to base people, if not more

110000 Accom
360000 Salary
50000 Education (only for those with kids)
24000 Utilities
0 Medical (we all pay for that out of our salary each month)
0 Visa (Government owned company)
0 Training costs saved (training is per the GCAA requirements and wouldn't change much regardless of experience levels)
544000 dhs Total

Converted to British Pounds in my case 75000 before tax. I think you can earn around 100k with the low costs in UK.

Yes maybe i would go home for that salary, but that doesn't save the company any money. So as i said, give me a commercial reason for basings and i will stand corrected.

chinawladi
15th Dec 2006, 17:07
And even so ... any eventual basing would be for newbees only. You really think they'd let us return to a basing, wherever it might be, and try to attract new chaps for the sandpit?? Much easier and cheaper to get new candidates for nice basings.
So just forget about, if you're already here.

Wiley
15th Dec 2006, 17:26
My guess is that if - (and I admit that it's a very big "if") - they do offer basings, they'll offer them to senior pilots, some of whom might take it, despite the fact that they'll be losing free accommodation, free medical, a car to and from work AND then have to pay income tax in the country in which they are based.

But I'd be willing to bet a very large sum that EK won't offer any extra money to make up for these lost privileges. So, my guess again is that most people with more than one or two years to go to retirement or their planned resignation who are offered these basings will do their sums and see it would be a serious slug to the pocket and so, despite all the grumblings, (which they'll continue to do), most won't take it up.

This will leave the company able to offer the basings to new hires and able to say to current employees who complain: "we offered you a basing, but you wouldn't take it."

Absolutely no inside information on any of this; just my opinion.

Trashed Aviator
16th Dec 2006, 16:11
Well EK make a **** load of money with each aircraft they fly , so grounding them for not looking after pilots is a serious waste of money. The smart airlines will pay the cash and give basings ............

Check 'Six'
17th Dec 2006, 03:26
Basings will not work for one fundamental reason. Equipment type! Today 777 tomorrow airbus.

However, commuting rosters out of dubai would work well.

A payrise is more than overdue. Smartly followed by a commuting roster, probably in order of seniority. Which then means that the jumpseat has to part of this scenario. The number of days off to commute must be a minimum of 10 days in a row! Plus one must have the option of 10 at the end of the month, followed by 10 in the beginning of the next!

Check 'Six'

Trashed Aviator
17th Dec 2006, 05:57
Basings will work on the A380 and 747-800.
Commuting rosters a good idea, so would a temporary base for say 3 months of the year with leave backed on to both sides.
Its all so easy .............
Also what about month on month off and tickets home each month.
I dont want to be going flying at 3.00am every month when im in my late 50,s

L1011
17th Dec 2006, 06:29
Basings? Never as long as TC, Idle and the gang sing the songs.

Commute rosters? Maybe temporarily to overcome a crewing shortage. As soon as something changes, it will be withdrawn. In a 'cost-neutral' manner of course.

Payraise? As little as possible they can get away with.

If you have a job somewhere in the real world - leave. Sticking for things to change is dumb.