PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a pilot in Dubai, UAE

amowers
14th Dec 2006, 04:36
Hi everyone,

I am currently working as Cabin Crew for Emirates Airlines in Dubai and have a good friend of mine who is interested in becoming a pilot. He has concerned that he is already getting old, although he is only 23, and has not yet started any training whatsoever for that purpose.

First of all, are there any age limits on becoming a pilot?

Can anyone recommend a good flight school here in Dubai and give an idea of what he might expect?

Any other hints or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Left Wing
14th Dec 2006, 05:02
http://www.horizonuae.ae/introduction.php

jai6638
15th Dec 2006, 16:08
Emirates Aviation Services:

http://www.emiratesaviationservices.com/

ruserious
15th Dec 2006, 16:58
23 is definitely not too old, 33 is even possible

AI744
17th Dec 2006, 06:20
Fujairah and Al Ain have recently started their flying schools but dont just join Emirates Flying School with the hope of getting into EK after your CPL. That is an option reserved for the locals only. Anybody here able to shed some light on which is the better school out of the three.

jai6638
17th Dec 2006, 06:25
I cannot comment on Fujeirah and AlAin but the quality of instruction at Emirates Flying Services is excellant, in my opinion! Only problem is that flying out of Dubai Airport entails delays ( due to the busy airspace ) which wastes money!

Also, Dubai has Pipers while Fujeirah has diamonds..

AI744
17th Dec 2006, 07:12
And does EFS give a JAA certified license. The problem is EFS finishes off at a CPL whereas you can complete an ATPL with Fujairah and Al Ain.

inverter
17th Dec 2006, 10:14
:D hats off to you for encouraging your wagon-dragon pal to become a stick pusher! He thinks 23 is old, man oh man! what is he going to say and feel at 24? if you are a couple then please don't ever marry him cause at 40 he will need a wheelchair! (scary hey)
Here is what you should do, let your friend talk to a few guys within Ek. Tell him to ask around who have taken flying at a later stage in their lives, as a matter of fact in the late 30's or early 40's! and are now on left and right seats of big commercial jets. I personally have heard of a few aussies, kiwis and scotts plus a boy form the sub-continent, who have started or wanted to start just like your buddy.
Call these schools.
1. Umm Al-qwuain Aero Club +9716 7681447. (On the north 1hr drive from DXB)
2. Fujairah Aviation +9719 2224747. (East coast 2hrs drive from DXB)
The first one is under the process of getting their Commercial & Instrument syllabus approval, the second can take you all the way to Commercial, Instrument and Multi engine.
3. In Alin the school is called Horizon Avaition, I believe so, but they only give Rotor/ helicopter training.
PM me, if you need further info or inspirational directions for the friend.
Regards
INV:cool: