PDA

View Full Version : Question for CityJet Pilots, preferably Contract Pilots

handypilot
13th Dec 2006, 16:22
I'm a Yank who has been offered good terms to fly for CityJet under a one year contract starting Feb 19th. I've been reading some of the negative things about CityJet, of which most have to do with the pay/terms. Before I sign the dotted line, I will know fully what I'm getting for the year...and It's pretty damn good!
My biggest fear is that after the first year, management comes to renew my contract, and offers lesser terms. Specifically, same pay, but no house or car for my family. I know they are in need of DECs badly now, but I'm afraid they may be giving favorable terms for the first year, to get us to come over. Then year two comes around, and they pull the carpet out from under me, and I'm stuck with no prospects and my family in a foreign country. This would suck!
So...my question is - What has the experience been of the CityJet contract pilots in this area? What typically happens to your contract after the first year? Are there any changes in the term?
Also, I DON'T WANT THIS TO BE AN 'AMERICANS PILOTS STEALING JOBS AND RUINING OUR LIVES' DEBATE! I've read the other threads and will seriously consider any possible impact on my IR/UK/EU pilot brethren. Please keep this thread on point. Thanks!:ok:

CamelhAir
13th Dec 2006, 17:46
Be aware that in order for your temporary JAA validation to be valid for more than a year, you will need to do all 14 JAA theoretical exams.
That's the JAA requirement anyway. Given the craven, spineless donkeys that work in the IAA though, who subvert the law to their own ends, who knows what the requirement would be in a years time.
While not au fait with cityjet management, the grapevine has it that they're from the ryanair school of truth, i.e. will tell you what you want to hear, but in fact are connsumate liars who will do what they please without regard to promises/contracts etc.
Expect supply and demand be the deciding factor. If you're surplus to requirements, expect a knife in the back.

louiswharf
13th Dec 2006, 19:25
expect a knife in the back.

They may take our morale, but they will never take our puns!!!!

handypilot
13th Dec 2006, 21:06
Be aware that in order for your temporary JAA validation to be valid for more than a year, you will need to do all 14 JAA theoretical exams.
I am aware of this! Because of my experience I can do home study and not a formal course...I know they're a bitch, but it will same me some $$$$$ and I can get a jump on it right now.

Thanks for the info.

Well...I just talked to a mate of mine over there right now, and he indicated that CityJet is going to pay for our JAA conversion classes. We are going to have to pay for it up front, and they will reimburse us. Looks like I will save much $$$$! :-)

Aramis
13th Dec 2006, 22:16
handypilot

excellent client to work for...no complains at all.
keep your nose clean and stay out of the bull****...
all the rest is crying crap.

good luck

captplaystation
15th Dec 2006, 18:04
handypilot, I would take a lot of care with the concept of being reimbursed. Ask yourself the question, "if they really, really intend to pay, what is to stop them paying in the first place?". My gut feeling knowing the Ryanair type of mentality that is alluded to here, is , if you pay up front, you can kiss goodbye to that money. I would be very surprised if it was other than that.