PDA

View Full Version : North Sea Living

platinumpure
13th Dec 2006, 14:56
A few questions for the North Sea guys.

If you guys have to live offshore what are the living conditions like?

Are they the same as the Gulf of Mexico (i.e. no exercise facilities, sometimes 6 to a room with one shower, all complimented with one fat sweaty redneck watching you dress in the morning), or are they better?

Also do you guys have company living accommodations onshore? I don't know if this applies or not, as I'm not sure if you guys work equal time schedules.

Thanks for your time guys.

Geoffersincornwall
13th Dec 2006, 16:49
Our home every other two weeks was a 10 x 6 twin berth cabin that was occupied by just one guy. We had a TV a desk a chair and a cupboard. Washing and toilet facilities were down the passageway. It was relatively quiet and just about bearable but it was, by reputation, the oldest and the worst accommodation available in the UK sector.

I've lived offshore with a Bo 105 and a 365 and found the routine acceptable although the forties have a regime that drives you bonkers, overalls, safety hats, safety gloves, safety glasses and ear defenders every time you step outside your accommodation.

We had a pretty well equipped gym on the platforms I have experienced and the food was OK without being special, always plenty of it.

Hope that helps

G

:ok:

kissmysquirrel
13th Dec 2006, 18:21
Come on Geoffers, sounds like heaven. Where do I sign up? But seriously, are there still offshore positions these days with two weeks on/off living on the Southern North Sea rigs etc?

Geoffersincornwall
13th Dec 2006, 18:37
The forties guys all came ashore earlier this year when Apache said they were no longer needed (watch this space) but CHC do still have a 365 doing sterling work based in the Leman Field. I did spend a week there couple of years back but can't remember much about it other than the b****y long walk from the (drilling level) helideck to the accommodation.

G

:ok:

ukhelipilot22
13th Dec 2006, 19:29
I am interested to know what percentage of work as a pilot gets you back to base at the end of the day?
Are there many roles that require you to reside on the rig?

Hummingfrog
13th Dec 2006, 22:41
Hi Geoffers

Bet the long walk on the Leman did you a power of good!!

ukhelipilot22

Just about 100% of shore based N Sea pilots make it back to their warm beds at night. The nature of the job is taking one rig crew out and bring their opposite number back so no overnight stays unless you are doing a one off job such as flare replacement or winching to an unmanned buoy etc.

The majority of crew changes are also done Mon-Fri so there aren't as many crews on at the weekend

As Geoffers said there is only one UK based offshore a/c at the moment and they spend either 7days on 7 off or 14 on 14 off.

HF

Impress to inflate
14th Dec 2006, 06:53
Company rules with the company I work for say that we must have a single cabin. The rigs all have gyms, some very good, most with saunas and sunbeds. All have TV rooms and most have a cinema. The food for most is good to very good. This is true for the central and northern north sea. I get the impression that the sourthern sector is not as good.

ITI

P.S The noggy rigs are like the Hilton.

verticalhold
14th Dec 2006, 09:42
Indeed Mr Impress to Inflate the Noggy rigs are very comfy. Did a while based offshore in the Norwegian sector, We had a two man cabin each. Good food, great gym and rec facilities, a phone call home everyday and an office that was more like our own lounge. Other than having to do an hour or so in the seat a day it was like being on a cruise ship going nowhere. The crew had rest periods (laid down by the Norwegian government) when we couldn't be disturbed and at the end of two weeks we went home knowing that the company couldn't bother us until we were due back on duty.

Happy memories (especially of the extra allowances:ok: )

Impress to inflate
14th Dec 2006, 21:46
You can only do 14 days offshore and you must have equal time off. Most of my trips have been anything from 10 mins morning 10 mins evening and up to 2 hours morning and two hours evening with the odd beach run. All in all better than being on the beach day in day out, a nice break from the norm.