PDA

View Full Version : Flying pay entitlement change post JPA

Harpoon
13th Dec 2006, 13:50
I have just had it confirmed to me by JPAC that with the introduction of JPA, the criteria for higher rate of flying pay for NCA has had a one liner added which states:
"Must have completed 18 years service AND 9 years flying"
So that means that many ex-tradesmen like myself will now have to wait just a little longer for the extra cash.
I and my home Stn HR people had no idea the criteria had changed (9 years flying) and neither it seems did the JPAC staff as it has taken them 7 months to supply me with the great news that I don't yet qualify as the rules have changed.
Question: Was this change notified to NCA? I ask because not one NCA in my workplace was aware of the change.
I'm not too happy with the change. I work hard and just wish the MOD wouldn't keep moving the goal-posts.
If your NCA approaching 18 years service, I suggest you check the AP.
Regards.
Harpoon

Ginseng
13th Dec 2006, 17:21
JSP 754 Sect 6 Chap 17, Paras 06.1719 and 06.1720.

NCA Higher Rate SP(F) is paid after 18 years service and with a minimum of 9 years aircrew service. I assume this to mean 9 years from the start of entitlement to SP(F) Low Rate, which is now on completion of first OCU, I believe - prepared to be corrected on that last point.

Sorry

Regards

Ginseng

toddbabe
13th Dec 2006, 18:27
ginseng and harpoon I think and hope you are both wrong, I have looked into the elligibility of hr fp and it simply states 18 years total service and a mimimum of three years flying from award of brevet.
Have you actually seen in it print cos that is what I have read from the jsp.
That said I will be checking it very closely tommorow.

RotatingPart
13th Dec 2006, 19:03
Gents,

I brought up a similar point a few months ago regarding rates of pay for the Army. There was no real response from the masses which led me to believe that I had the wrong end of the stick. However, having spoken to a few people who were expecting to move up onto the next rate it would appear that they are currently experiencing a "computer software problem".

I suspect that we are all in a similiar position with regards to being informed of these changes, by which time we'll all be under the new rules and have no cause or basis for any redress. :D Best of luck,

RotatingPart :bored:

Ginseng
13th Dec 2006, 19:18
I don't think I'm wrong on the 9 years; the only variation may be dependant on date of entering into aircrew training, which affects when SP(F) low rate is first deemed to have come into issue - for those entering aircrew training after Apr 03, that is now deferred until completion of OCU/confirmation of brevet (can't quite remember the exact detail).

Regards

Ginseng

toddbabe
13th Dec 2006, 19:51
Yes you could be right about the Apr 03 thing, am glad that doesent affect me, am still pretty sure though that to qualify for high rate flying pay you just have to complete 18 years service and a minimum of three as aircrew.

Chinny Crewman
13th Dec 2006, 20:03
toddbabe I'm afraid you are going to be dissapointed mate it is now 18 years total service to include 9 years aircrew service (post brevet). I have seen this written down and had it confirmed by PMA. It used to be 3 years aircrew but the goal posts moved earlier this year and it applies to everyone whenever they re-mustered, that said those already in receipt will retain higher rate irrespective.

day1-week1
13th Dec 2006, 20:25
The AFPRB 2006 states that for higher rate you must complete 18 yrs reckconable service, the only stipulation for aircrew time (ie 3 yrs) is for middle rate. However I heard of the 9 yrs aircrew bit for higher rate somewhere before. If anything is the source document I would have thought it was the AFPRB, thats what I'm hanging my hat on!

Ginseng
13th Dec 2006, 20:39
The source document is JSP 754 - Tri-Service Regulations for Pay and Charges. The AFPRB makes recommendations, and is kept informed of MoD's policy intentions - it doesn't make the rules.

Regards

Ginseng

Harpoon
14th Dec 2006, 09:00
Alas I think Ginseng is correct. I have had a fruitless dig into the updated AP, however if anyone does get a positive outcome from this then please spread the word.
I guess the next fight will be when I claim for higher rate 9 years after receiving my brevet, and some admin type attempts to invoke the post Apr 03 rule and claims its 9 years from passing the OCU.
It beggars belief that they can treat people this way.

Regards
Harpoon

SidHolding
14th Dec 2006, 12:43
Yes, the rules have changed. I joined as NCA 9 1/2 years ago. I'm still on lower rate NCA flying pay as I took pilot cross-over. I'll move onto lower rate officer flying pay on completion of an OCU and stay on it for 4 years. The rules changed in 2003. It's just tough ****, deal with it.

toddbabe
14th Dec 2006, 18:15
Bugger and double bugger! :mad:
Had a good look on jsp 754 and found the offending rule myself today am gutted! can they do that to us? is it not a change of your contract as such?
Well I for one will never get my high rate of fp as I will be well past my 22 before I would have done 9 years as aircrew and there aint no way I will be doing a day longer than twenty two.