PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning licence folders

barondriver
13th Dec 2006, 10:40
Does anyone know an easy way to clean the black ink carp out of the little green folders you put your licence and medical into.

I tried a search but a million responses came up.
If there is a thread out there does any1 know the link?

Cheers :ok:

Ron & Edna Johns
13th Dec 2006, 11:57
Ah yes, world's best practice licence folder, isn't it?

Kleenex, methylated spirits and a ruler. Put a bit of meths on the Kleenex. Jam it in the sleeve, jam it down, rub up and down whilst squeezing it from outside on either side of the sleeve. I sometimes stick a ruler in to ram the Kleenex down into the nooks and crannies, and to drag it up and down the insides while squeezing..... I hope this description isn't causing anyone to become aroused....? :\

Chuck a bit of water on another Kleenex to get rid of the residual meths, as I hate to think what effect it would otherwise have on your brand new licence/medical.

Repeat for the other bloody pages affected.

Sniff the remaining meths and swear yet again at good ol' CASA..... :ugh:

Zhaadum
13th Dec 2006, 13:30
**** that! I reckon cleaning will take too long, plus you will possibly have to do it each year when you receive your new licence if you have any renewals of ratings like IR etc.

I am told that the plasticiser in the ink on the pages reacts with the plastic wallet.

First buy a new clean licence holder.

Put a piece of tracing paper between each new page of your licence and the plastic pocket. I cut a piece big enough to fold in half (A5?) and put each page between it.

No more sticky licence pages and you can still read everything on your licence through the tracing paper, albiet slightly "softend" in its appearance.

Cheers!

Z.:ok:

the wizard of auz
13th Dec 2006, 14:58
**** all of that. Just stuff the new license in the pocket and be done with it. Who ever reads them?. In the fourteen years I've had a license, no one has ever asked to see it and if you really really need to see it, pull it out of the pocket and have a look. Over rated, over priced and hardly worth the paper it was printed on. :eek:

Di_Vosh
13th Dec 2006, 15:45
Skylines sells a green folder that looks "just like the real thing". Only difference is that the ink doesn't stick :ok:

DIVOSH!

Howard Hughes
13th Dec 2006, 18:21
**** all of that. Just stuff the new license in the pocket and be done with it. Who ever reads them?. In the fourteen years I've had a license, no one has ever asked to see it and if you really really need to see it, pull it out of the pocket and have a look. Over rated, over priced and hardly worth the paper it was printed on. :eek:
I think Wiz has the right idea!:ok:

Apparently you can now get a leather (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/store/html.asp?/bookweb/details.cgi?ITEMNO=LICHOLD) licence holder...:hmm:

an3_bolt
13th Dec 2006, 19:45
Eucalyptus oil.

1. Place a little bit on a tissue and rub a dub dub on the inside of the sleeve until evil ink gone.
2. Dry with fresh new tissue.
3. If able - allow to dry for a little while - ie a piece of your 2 year old's lego jammed into the sleeve will keep it open to dry.
4. Face north and pay hommage to the god of eucalyptus

barondriver
14th Dec 2006, 03:42
Thanks guys.

I might go the old method on metho, tissues and ruler and rub away for an hour or so then do the tracing paper trick. Or still yet can I really be bothered with the piece of :mad: green folders CASA can't even get right. Maybe I will try not clean it for the next 30 years or so of licences and see if I can black the whole thing out. That way when I do get asked for my licence I can stick it up CASA for making such a :mad:ed folder. :E

4SPOOLED
14th Dec 2006, 07:38
hmmmm that leather job looks the goods, i remember when the green one was free! and CASA sent it to you with your PPL, now its $20 or something......user pays wins again!

4S

carro
14th Dec 2006, 07:52
Hey guys,

Not really a solution to inked sleeves... but I have heard of people ironing their licence when they get it so the ink doesnt stick to the plastic. May be an idea.

Adam

an3_bolt
14th Dec 2006, 09:46
Always better to fix the problem at the cause - ie the printers. Not going to happen anytime soon.:ugh:

But I can say my pages were so covered in black ink that I could not read anything. Even on a ramp check overseas they had to pull it out of the plastic covers.:}

The eucalyptus oil fix for all the plastic insides took less than 2 minutes...and a bit of drying time. I could not recommend it more highly - hence the second posting regarding same. If I can save someone the agro - I'm all for it.

Something about the force and chloromidians??

hungry_flygal
14th Dec 2006, 23:25
If you have some of that plastic cleaner that is available around the traps for cleaning windscreens, that works a treat - the advantage is that it doesn't leave a residual smell and thus far, has prevented the folder from lifting the ink off my new licence....

RENURPP
15th Dec 2006, 00:56
I find the washing machine on "hand wash" using cold pwer does the tricl!:hmm: