PDA

View Full Version : BA SSP T's & C's

goodwxpilot
13th Dec 2006, 10:33
BA SSP T's & C's....

Just wondering the thoughts of people who are aware of the BA SSP (self sponsored pilot) scheme.

For those who don't know, the SSP scheme is set-up by BA to take low houred guys straight from flying school. So you pay for your own training up to the type rating. BA then pay for the rating and do not bond you.

However, the ssp will go in on a "cadet" salary, starting off £14 - £15k lower than a direct entry pilot. Pay then goes up at a rate of 5k per year until year 5 when you rejoin the normal pay scale. So in year 2 your salary is £11k approx lower than year 2 DEP, year 3, £8k lower, year 4, £5k less and than equal on year 5.

So overall your losing a lot of money over the 5 years...

I can understand BA paying cadets less as they need to pay for their type rating and they have no experience. But after even 6 months on-line you have got good experience. What often then happens, is someone you trained with in flying school will pitch up at BA selection, get in, and earn £15k more than you, with the same experience and doing exactly the same job. Surely this isnt fair??

Is it even legal to pay two people so differently for exactly the same job? When both peeps have the same experience level?

Re-Heat
13th Dec 2006, 11:42
You are quite right that BA has not adjusted for the fact that they are no longer funding the sponsored training, however the salary recouped under the previous system was not 100% of total training costs - arguably, they are now much closer to costs incurred for that first type rating, even though "your mate" would be required by BA to undergo training to BA procedures in the sim upon him joining the company.

Type freeze is largely irrelevant, as it does not prevent you from bidding for other fleets prior to that point, or indeed from being moved due to operational requirements - it is simply a restraint on you being anywhere other than at the bottom of the list of people from whom the fleet changes are decided.

Seniority is also much of a muchness, as with so long to command, and without a DB scheme, there is little merit in staying at one company if a better offer arises elsewhere...

Human Factor
13th Dec 2006, 12:02
Londonmet,

The flying hour rate is now £10 and the TAFB £2.73

goodwxpilot
13th Dec 2006, 13:23
All good points...But do you think this salary reduction is fair?

flaps to 60
14th Dec 2006, 02:43
All good points...But do you think this salary reduction is fair?

Goodwxpilot

Think about what you have just asked.

This will be your FIRST job in aviation with no airline experience. I like many started with less than £20,000 in a T/P which was a lot less NICE than the 737/320 that the SSP's start on.

Dont forget that you are in a stable job with a stable roster and great career progression.

The reason im sure amongst many as to why BA pay the SSP's less is that they are taking a bigger risk with you than with someone with more experience.

You as a SSP are comming in with no more tha about 200 hrs as oppossed to the DEP's with 1500hrs and at "AT LEAST" least 500hrs Multi Crew experience.

Your time will come to earn the big bucks.

PaulW
14th Dec 2006, 11:11
The first thing that will spring to many pilots mind when reading this is "The greedy little B******" you have no idea how good you have it, maybe you should go instructing for a while or fly regional turbo props for only slightly more money than your loan repayments for a year and then come back and moan about your wages. Step aside and let someone else who appreciates what you've got a great deal more than you obviously do.

I appologise if this reads a little agressive but this sort of post angers me. There are a lot of wannabees working very hard to get their first job out there, and people like this who have had the good fortune to get an amazing job and opportunity unavailable to someone with their experience anywhere else in the world is moaning already. Get real.

flaps to 60
14th Dec 2006, 12:38
[QUOTE=

I can understand BA paying cadets less as they need to pay for their type rating and they have no experience. But after even 6 months on-line you have got good experience. What often then happens, is someone you trained with in flying school will pitch up at BA selection, get in, and earn £15k more than you, with the same experience and doing exactly the same job. Surely this isnt fair?? [/QUOTE]

GWP

Learn to Walk before you want to run a marathon.

You have answered your own question as BA cadets had your same experince and you are also recieving a trype rating and a JOC.

You comment about 6 months and you have good experience shows how inexperienced you really are.

Your going from a piston twin to one big muther of a jet that i guarantee will leave you behind back in bed hugging your pillow.

After 6 months you're still saying what the hell is going on. A year and your thinking just at the same rate the a/c is going and after 18 months your starting to feel comfortable (this is a really dangerous phase an will bite you). Two years and then you can call yourself relatively expereinced.

PaulW was probably a little harse but i understand where is comming from as we and others have earned our stripes and done things that entitle us to a DEP's salary.

Good luck and i hope you adjust your attitude as there are many captains out there just waiting to adjust it for you.

goodwxpilot
14th Dec 2006, 14:41
I knew this post could turn into me getting slagged off for being greedy. Id rather avoid that and be more objective.

I don't look at this job only within the airline industry..I look at it more holistically.

Basically, I have no spending money every month, drive a tin can for a car and can't get a mortgage.....My loan repayments are crippling.

Then I fly with Captains everyday earning 10 times what I do, but moan their asses off and in fact it is a lot of them who have directed me to find out whether Im on a bum deal or not... This simply isnt the lifestyle I was expecting with this airline, that's all.

flaps to 60
14th Dec 2006, 16:41
GWP

If you are motivated by money then you will be continually disappointed in this game.

If motivated by Flying then yes you are suffering now but you know that in a few years you will be earning decent money and you fly to earn it.

In every airline on this planet there are bitter captains who do nothing but bitch and moan and their reply to "well why dont you move on" is dont be stupid i cant afford to loose that much.

Go back to your flying school or any flying club or even the Balpa unemployment conference and tell some one your story and be prepaired for an intense stare at the very least.

When your worried about money look out of the window and find some solice in that.

it may be of some comfort to you to know that a few years ago (5 when i was instructing) i was driving a rust bucket couldnt afford the MOT's no mortgage and a wife that was very patient.

Now i have the ubiquitus fast car, luxury holidays, a mortage and some money in the bank.

You are in BA do you actually know that it means. It means probably alot more than you know.

Enjoy it and the money will come in time.

Once again good luck :ok: