PDA

View Full Version : It ain't half hot mum

HOGE
12th Dec 2006, 21:23
I have just watched a few episodes of the 1st series from 1973 on dvd.

A lot funnier than I remembered, (though I was only 7 when it started), and the thought occured to me that non-pc and humour sit together well.

How many sitcoms of the present day measure up to these sort of 70's shows?

BigEndBob
12th Dec 2006, 21:37
None....just watched one particular episode of Fawlty Towers...never realised how very non pc, probably wouldn't get shown these days on tv.

Duchess_Driver
12th Dec 2006, 22:12
The same with 'Love thy Neighbour' and 'Alf Garnett'. Cracking laughs, but not for mainstream TV nowadays...

Howard Hughes
12th Dec 2006, 22:31
As a kid, It ain't half hot mum was my favourite comedy show, even though I didn't get many of the jokes at the time..:ok:

M.Mouse
12th Dec 2006, 22:40
I agree that many programmes like the (now) cringeworthy 'Love Thy Neighbour' would not get aired I fail to see how Fawlty Towers falls into the same bracket.

I have all 12 episodes on tape and they still make me laugh even though I am probably word perfect. Truly superb comedy which marks John Cleese out as one of the great comedy writers/actors of the past 30 years, a fact he has proven in many other areas, not least his training films.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
12th Dec 2006, 23:51
I'm currently listening to Yes Minister on BBC7 and it's bloody brilliant :ok:

Krystal n chips
13th Dec 2006, 05:40
I'm currently listening to Yes Minister on BBC7 and it's bloody brilliant :ok:

The Beeb have always produced some excellent documentaries ;)

BigEndBob
13th Dec 2006, 07:12
Watch the episode of F.T. where the Major and Fawlty are discussing a cricket match at the reception! Unless it has been edited out of the mainstream DVD's.

Also recently watched some Benny Hill.
How did that become non PC.

Better than some of the poor material Kelly Monteith...remember him...finished off with.

After the AIDS scares in the 80's where language the general public could understand!, was used to discribe certain things, there became a general acceptance of profanities which found its way into tv comedy. Quality has been downhill ever since.
All the best comedy has not a single swear word in them.

At least B.H. didn't have to use swear words to get a laugh!

ORAC
13th Dec 2006, 07:17
IAHHM: "The British Empire, on who´s flag the sun never sets.....because every evening the clever dickies take it down and put it back up in the morning"..... :ok:

Krystal n chips
13th Dec 2006, 07:49
Also recently watched some Benny Hill.
How did that become non PC.

At least B.H. didn't have to use swear words to get a laugh!

I think Benny fell victim to the embryonic PC brigade---his sketches were deemed to be offensive to women---the irony being, if only these blinkered :mad: could have seen as much, was that Benny always lost out in his encounters with scantily clad ladies----as for "Till Death us do part"---the fact was, the programme took the ps out of the bigots in the form of Alf---not the reverse---this point being lost of course on the Sun reading thicko's who couldn't make this distinction :ugh:

In contrast, some of the current crop of "comics" :yuk: are a waste of space--period.

MyData
13th Dec 2006, 07:51
I fail to see how Fawlty Towers falls into the same bracket

By coincidental timing of this thread I happened to have my Complete FT scripts book out just yesterday for a peruse. One of the best investments of 7.95 ever.

Subjugation and humiliation of Manuel?

Manuel: Since coming here from Spain, leaving my mother...
Basil: Outside
Manuel: Que?
Basil: Outside. (he slams the door) Thank you. (returns to listen at the door to the lobby)
Manuel: (outside) Since coming here from Spain, leaving my mother, my five brothers and four sisters.
Basil: (opening Manuel's door again) Givt it to me... thank you. (he tears up the speech and shuts the door; Manuel hovers outside; Sybil enters).
<snip>
Manuel: Since coming...

Basil opens the door and hits Manuel. Manuel scurries into the lobby.

or

Basil goes to the kitchen and leads Manuel back to the desk.

Basil: (pointing to Sybil) This Basil's wife. (pointing to himself) This... Basil. This... smack on head. (demonstrates; Manuel slinks off)

And the Major's reference to cricket...

The Major: ...strange creatures, women.
Basil: Well, can't stand around all day...
The Major: I knew one once...striking-looking girl... tall, you know...father was a banker
Basil: Really.
The Major: Don't remember the name of the bank
Basil: Never mind
The Major: ...I must have been rather keen on her, because I took her to see ... India!
Basil: India?
The Major: At the Oval... fine match, marvellous finish...now, Surrey had to get thirty-three in about half and hour... she went off to powder her...powder her hands or something...women...er...never came back.
Basil: What a shame.
The Major: And the strange thing was... throughout the morning she kept referring to the Indians as n*****s. 'No no no,' I said, 'the n*****s are the West Indians. These people are w**s.' 'No, no', she said. 'All cricketers are n*****s.'
Basil: They do get awfully confused, don't they? They're not thinkers. I see it with Sybil every day.

cessna l plate
13th Dec 2006, 09:09
I will never grow tired of watching the one where the car breaks down, and Basil eventually gives it a "damn good thrashing" with a tree branch.

Pure genuis, when compared to the likes of Catherine Tate today (whoever told her she was funny) there is no comparison.

One of my all time favourite funny items from that era is Rowan Atkinson doing the teacher sketch at "The Secret Poicemans Ball" Absoloute genuis that one man stood on a stage with a clipboard can reduce an audience to laughing wrecks!

ShyTorque
13th Dec 2006, 11:14
I agree about the bad language and rudeness spoiling today's comedy. A profanity or rudeness is better only implied, then it can be funny.

An example, "The Two Ronnies" singing as two Hillbillies (Barker as "Fat Belly Jones"):
"Down in the barn where the lamplight flickers,
I lost my heart and she lost her.......parasol".

Or the "Carry On" films reference to a pet moggie, referred to by Barbara Windsor as: "Cooking Fat, or at least that's what I thinks he calls him...."

A clever comedian/comedienne can be a family entertainer and still get in all the rude jokes, because they are subtle enough to be completely unoffensive to certain members of the audience (especially children) because they will not be understood by them. There is no offensive language to cause embarrassment because it was only implied and never said.

Any rudeness is best conjured up in the head of the audience, that is a comedic skill. The late Bob Monkhouse was very good at this.

The likes of Christine Tate's so-called "comedy" is offensive as far as I'm concerned and does not entertain me at all, to the extent that it now gets switched off. The level of her talent is demeaned (or possibly adequately illiustrated) by the fact that almost every sentence contains a verbal profanity. A little old lady saying the "F" word might be funny once, in extremis, but that is all, no more. I no more want to listen to her foul language on TV than I would wish to in real life. It's embarrassingly unfunny. Compare her to the genius of writing and timing of Victoria Wood......no contest.

Billy Connolly, the same - although I can find him highly entertaining at his best, but painfully poor on those occasions (sadly more common of recent times) when almost every other word begins with "F".

But then, I'm from the Morecambe and Wise and Tommy Cooper era when comedians were simply not allowed to use bad language on TV. Their immense skill came from working around that limitation and they were all the funnier for it.

Serious stuff, this comedy! ;)

tony draper
13th Dec 2006, 11:27
Agree some of this way out in your face comedy that has appeared recently such as Titty Titty Bang Bang and that Tate show are absolute shite,comedy should have at least some modercum of wit behind it.
:cool:

frostbite
13th Dec 2006, 12:03
Also agree, I don't mind bad language or crudity if it fits into an essential part of humour, but too often now it is used as a substitute for any humour - and we are supposed to find that funny.

VnV2178B
13th Dec 2006, 12:27
Shy,
twasn't Barbara Windsor as far as I remember but a dark-haired girl playing the naieve in London, against a letcherous Terry Scott. I shall have to go away and google I suppose, unless any one else has a better recall.

And also I will add my support for those against Catherine Tate's 'comedy', I just switch it off too.

VnV...

G-CPTN
13th Dec 2006, 12:31
http://www.thespinningimage.co.uk/cultfilms/displaycultfilm.asp?reviewid=1051
Sid James, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey, Terry Scott, Jacki Piper, Joan Sims, Richard O'Callaghan, Imogen Hassall, Bernard Bresslaw

This movie has some great lines ("Why is the cat called Cooking Fat?" "Well that's what it SOUNDS like!"), some brilliant cameos from the minor actors (including Joan Hickson as the elderly Mrs Grubb) and once again polished performances from the stars, all backed by an excellent script by Talbot Rothwell. A worthy part of Britain's greatest comedy saga.

Imogen Hassall is the dark-haired one.