PDA

View Full Version : Bird **** on Propellors.

Sunfish
12th Dec 2006, 20:56
I wish people would check for nests every time they fly, and look extra - especially hard when they find bird **** on propellers. All it takes is half a day for birds to take up residence.

The last guy to fly a certain aircraft was extremely lucky not to have a fire, but left myself and others the job of cleaning out what was left of a nest and cooked baby birds before I flew it.

I'm trying extra hard not to incinerate another aircraft:}

Squawk7700
12th Dec 2006, 21:22
Given that this is a rumour network, you are entitled to rumour the rego of the particular aircraft... no harm in that.

I recall a certain Archer at a Vic field that got a birds nest built in it practically every time it flew. They seem to like the right hand side on the oil cooler as it stays cool for quite some time after flight. I know of a Cherokee 6 in use that has some birds living in the wing at the moment. The owner leaves a control lock on at full aileron deflection and this enables the birds to get in the end of the wing.

There must be some great birdsnest stories out there. I recall flying next to a Cirrus that had a birds nest in it that caught on fire and when it arrived at the airshow on fire someone decided to call the fire brigade; as they taxiied to the display line the firetruck was blaring away behind them in chase. 'twas amusing stuff.

rmcdonal
12th Dec 2006, 23:18
Found a couple of twigs in the oil cooler on a Navajo one fine day. Unfortunately due to its position you can’t actually check it without removing the engine cowl. Was just getting ready for an afternoon run when the other pilot noticed a stick coming out of a hole in the bottom of the cowl.... Fortunately there was still enough airflow around the nest not to affect the oil temp in any noticeable way. :eek: :}

bushy
13th Dec 2006, 00:36
In Piper singles, birds sometimes build nests in the heater duct, and you get some interesting results when you turn on the heater.

Fatter Bastard
13th Dec 2006, 01:12
Catering would appreciate it if you could let them know next time this happens, what with all the cost cutting they could do with some extra supplies.

Jet_A_Knight
13th Dec 2006, 01:22
A bat tried to make a nest in the cowl of a C310 I was flying once in flight.:eek:

Unfortunately, he/she missed the inlet, and all I saw of him/her afterwards was some hair stuck in the cracked fairing, some blood, guts and an appalling smell.:yuk:

Biggles_in_Oz
13th Dec 2006, 01:24
I've had two episodes of birds building nests inside the air-inlet duct of a Piper.
Did a ground run without any noticable engine problems then discovered the nests when I took the cowl off to check the air filter.
The buggers were flying in via the open nose-wheel doors and it was impossible to see the nest without taking off the cowl.

Had a mouse die inside the cabin (pewwwww) after it ate my supply of ear-plugs.
Also had a mouse inside a flap once. Made some interesting scritching noises when moving the flaps during preflight.

The Messiah
13th Dec 2006, 02:00
Hence it is always a good idea with a two blade prop to leave it addressed in the vertical position.

kiwi_hockey_guy
13th Dec 2006, 02:43
Hence it is always a good idea with a two blade prop to leave it addressed in the vertical position.

I was told to leave the prop in a horizontal position, to prevent water running down the blades and into the CSU (if fitted) and also in the event of a nose gear failure (retractable) to prevent damage to the prop.....

Milt
13th Dec 2006, 03:52
Wasps also

Have foiled the endeavours of wasps trying to build their little castles in odd places.

Strange things want to get into pitots without covers and into fuel tank vents.

Then there was the snake trying to assist with control of the rudder bar of a float plane enroute Palm Beach to Rose Bay Sydney.

Be alert.

morno
13th Dec 2006, 03:56
Some fellow colleagues of mine at a previous company, were inspecting their 207 one morning, and after lowing the flaps, discovered a python in the flaps! Problem was, they couldn't get it out, and I think it was flown around for a couple of days with the snake dead in the flap, before maintenance could get the sucker out.

morno

Delta
13th Dec 2006, 04:07
i remember a DC3 that was grounded in KNX for some months ....well in the meantime a pair of mudlarks decided the shelter provided by the housing for the tailwheel was a good place for thair nest.....and by the amount of bird **** over the AC i asume the young probably learnt to fly by hoping from wing to tail ....

D