PDA

View Full Version : Yes, another Wireless Networking problem

whiz
12th Dec 2006, 14:33
Hi All,

After much headscratching and a thorough search of previous wireless network threads I am still at a loss as to why I cant access my network.
The story so far...
New PC (PC1)running Windows XP Pro SP2, connected to the net via a Belkin Modem/Router (F5D7633-4) Old PC (PC2) running Windows XP Pro SP2 connected to the internet via a Belkin USB adaptor (F5D7051) Both PCs can surf the net and send/receive email. I have set up a network (I think) using the new PC as a server, both PCs are logging into the workgroup on start up. PC1 can see PC2 but cant access it. PC2 cant see PC1. Both PCs can ping each other through IP address and computer name so Im assuming they are able to communicate in some shape or form. I have checked the firewalls on both PCs and on the router, they should be able to communicate. I have also enabled TCP/IP, client for microsoft networks & file and printer sharing on both PCs. When I open the workgroup on PC1 I have 2 PC icons, I can open PC1 and see the shared files but PC2 tells me I dont have access and the network path doesnt exist :confused: I also did a regedit and looked for the RestrictAnonymous file but its value was already set to zero. One thing that puzzled me was that on installing the modem/router there were no drivers as such, just an instruction manual. Obviously as its working I assume that I havent missed anything out but it seems slightly odd that I dont have anything in the taskbar or desktop to say its installed
Any pointers from anyone a bit more savvy than I ?
Thanks in advance

Reading a different forum, I came up with this:
Does My Computer Support Automatic Wireless Network Configuration?
Not all Windows XP computers with Wi-Fi wireless support are capable of automatic wireless configuration. To verify your Windows XP computer supports this feature, you must access its Wireless Network Connection properties:
From the Start Menu, open Windows Control Panel.
Inside Control Panel, click the "Network Connections" option if it exists, otherwise first click "Network and Internet Connections" and then click "Network Connections."
Finally, right-click "Wireless Network Connection" and choose "Properties."
In the Wireless Network Connection properties window, do you see a "Wireless Networks" tab? If not, your Wi-Fi network adapter lacks so-called Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) support, and the built-in Windows XP automatic wireless configuration feature will remain unavailable to you. Replace your wireless network adapter if necessary to enable this feature.

I dont have a connection saying 'Wireless network connection' only 'Local Area Connection' have I missed something?

Saab Dastard
12th Dec 2006, 16:09
It isn't a wireless networking problem, as you can do network things over the connection.

It is a Windows Sharing and NTFS Security problem.

1) Set up shares on the PCs as required.

2) Ensure that you provide at least Read access at the share level.

3) Configure NTFS security permissions as required.

Now MAP a drive from 1 PC to the other - Tools\Map network drive. Choose a drive letter, enter the target share in the form \\PCname\sharename and select connect using a different name. Supply a valid username on the target system in the form PCname\username, and enter the password.

You should now make a connection.

SD

planecrazy.eu
12th Dec 2006, 17:11
If my memory serves me right there was a massive thread not so long back about this?

The end solution was either to map, as said below, or to enable the guest account and i think that was it?

I had the same problem, i just mapped the drive, pretty simple, plus you can add it to my computer which i like, can get to the share quicker.

whiz
13th Dec 2006, 14:08
HI All,

I have now enabled the guest accounts on both machines, to no avail :ugh:

Taking SD's points as they come

I have set up shares on both PCs

At least read access has been provided both ways

NTFS security permissions are set

The only thing I cant crack is the drive mapping, is this because the drives cant see each other ? If anyone has the time I'd appreciate noddy step by step drive mapping instructions :\

BOAC
13th Dec 2006, 15:59
Is this (http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.htm) any help?

whiz
13th Dec 2006, 17:22
That guide is exactly what I wanted, thanks BOAC, the only problem is I cant map from PC1 to PC2 because it tells me the path is invalid. :ugh:

Saab Dastard
13th Dec 2006, 19:37
Please read this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308007/) and this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/)

BOAC
13th Dec 2006, 20:10
Whiz - when you have done Saab's homework, if you are not 'sorted', why not post the exact text of the path you are trying to set up?

Before you start typing this in, go down to the 'Additional Options' panel below the window, and 'disable smilies in text'. This will mean that drive letters/colons will NOT appear like C:\home but as they should eg C colon backslash home etc.

whiz
14th Dec 2006, 10:19
Morning Gents,

Ok, we have a little progress this morning. One problem that I found was that the wireless zero configuration setting on PC2 was switching itself off on re-boot. It's still doing this and I'm having to start it manually so any info on how to get it to stay on would be appreciated.
Reading through SD's first article, when I get to the part at the end which tells me to start-run- type %SystemRoot%\nsw.log I get the following message
Network Setup Wizard Log
Attempting to set computer name
Old computer name is the same as new computer name - not setting.
Setting server description (comment): Radan Server
Attempting to set workgroup name
Workgroup name is the same as the old one - not setting.
Shared Printer: Epson Stylus COLOR 1520 ESC/P 2 (Copy 1)
Shared Printer: Epson Stylus COLOR 1520 ESC/P 2

This would imply that PC1 and PC2 are using the same names. I can assure you they are totally different. One thing that may be affecting it is the fact that PC2 used to be my main PC for running some CAD software, at this time PC2 was called Greig, that name has since been changed to DORSEND-1.My new PC is called GreigD so I'm wondering if somewhere in its memory its picking up on the old name? I have some comms software running from my CAD to machinery which uses the PC name as an ID so I dont want to change the name if i dont have to

Edited to add that I have disabled simple file sharing on both PCs and have allocated security settings to each file that I want to share. Things that are still bothering me:
I have no way of telling if I'm logged onto the network on PC1. When I select 'my network places' it doesnt display anything but if I right click my network places and then select explore I can see + Entire network which when clicked breaks down to + Microsoft Windows network which when clicked breaks down to +office99 which when clicked displays both the PCs on the workgroup. If I right click PC1 it displays some shared files, if I right click PC2 it tells me \\dorsend-1 (PC2) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

I have also done a Start-run-cmd-hostname on both PCs and the names are definitely different

whiz
15th Dec 2006, 09:15
Morning Gents,
Ok, I have renamed both PCs and re-run the network set up wizard. Both PCs are booting up into the same workgroup and the network can be seen on both PCs by right clicking 'my network places' When I explore the workgroup on my PC (PC1) I can see both PCs but when I try to open or explore PC2 Im still getting this error

\\PC2 is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.

Taking BOACs point from earlier about typing the path Im trying to map. Im trying to reach a file called 'word documents' on PC2. I go into Map Network Drive select 'z' as the drive and type \\PC2\Word Documents. When I hit finish it sits for a while before I see:

The network path \\PC2\Word Documents cannot be found.

Originally posted by Saab Dastard
Now MAP a drive from 1 PC to the other - Tools\Map network drive. Choose a drive letter, enter the target share in the form \\PCname\sharename and select connect using a different name. Supply a valid username on the target system in the form PCname\username, and enter the password.

You should now make a connection.

I have tried the above method with the following result:
I select z as the drive, I then type \\PC2\Word Documents
Select connect using a different username
I type
\\PC2\Guest ( there's no password required for this account)
I then select Finish

I then get the following error:

Windows cannot access \\PC2\Word Documents as \\PC2\guest due to the following error:
The specified user name is invalid

whiz
15th Dec 2006, 11:14
SD's second article has a link to firewalls .. guess what? thats what it was. I have disabled the firewalls on both PCs and the shares are all there :\ Im running connected to the internet and feel a little vulnerable like this although the hardware firewall of the router should be doing its job. Further on in the article it mentions selecting the ports you want to open to allow the PCs to network without having to actually disable the firewall completely. Where do I find which ports I need to open?

Saab Dastard
15th Dec 2006, 12:00
You shouldn't need to specify ports if you can simply add the IP addresses of the PCs on your local network. I.E. allow inbound & outbound traffic from/to the other PC on each of the firewalls.

SD

whiz
15th Dec 2006, 13:24
Hi SD,

Thanks for all your help, the articles were invaluable :D