PDA

View Full Version : CPL Subjects

whaet
11th Dec 2006, 22:11
Have a bit of spare time over the next year to (hopefully) get all my CPL subjects completed.
I am fairly time restricted due to other work commitments.
Do any subjects take more time to complete than others? - (I will have little pockets of time to study for these, some pockets being a week others being 2 maybe 3 weeks)
Also, if any ppruners have recently completed their subjects would they be willing to rank them perhaps in order of difficulty/time spent on each.

I am aware that a significant amount of work must be done to pass well in order to limit those KDRs.

Cheers, whaet

witwiw
11th Dec 2006, 22:15
performance and loading is probably the longest in terms of studying- a lot of method involved.
get it out of the way first, and leave things like Met, Human Factors and Law till the end, they can be studied in 2 weeks or less- its just remembering facts and where to find info.

UnderneathTheRadar
11th Dec 2006, 22:36
Wot he said.....

In order of ease (easy first):

Law
Gen Knowledge
Human Perf
Nav
Met
Aero
Planning

In order of time (quickest first):

Nav
Gen Knowledge
Law
Human Perf
Aero
Met
Planning

UTR

PS and anytime you have the slightest uncertaintly about anything, post here and multiengined is sure to reply for you....

whaet
11th Dec 2006, 23:37
Thanks for the replies guys..

Approximately how long should I give myself to do the performance exam?
Will work hard but unlikely I will be able to fit in more than 4 or 5 hours of work a day..

Aussie
12th Dec 2006, 02:26
I was in a rush when i did my CPL theory subjects, and i did them all other then Met in 2.5weeks (i did met earlier)

So if you put the effort in, it wont take you very long.

Aussie

witwiw
12th Dec 2006, 06:05
a full-time course takes about 8 weeks to study and sit each exam. this is working from 8-4 every day (lunch and a couple of short breaks included obviously); plus youve got study at home.

however, if you have 4 hours a day to study, you can probably do each individual subject in 2 to 3 weeks without a problem.

barondriver
12th Dec 2006, 08:51
ask multi_engined

he seems to be doing his CPL subjects atm

Di_Vosh
12th Dec 2006, 09:30
a full-time course takes about 8 weeks to study and sit each exam. this is working from 8-4 every day (lunch and a couple of short breaks included obviously); plus youve got study at home.

For CPL subjects? You're joking right? The full-time ATPL course is shorter than that!

Whaet, with the time that you've got available, 1 year to do them all should be no problem. I did all mine (while working full time in I.T) a few years back. From buying the first book to sitting the final exam was around 3 months total.

UTR has got it about right (my opinion)

Cheers,

DIVOSH!

witwiw
12th Dec 2006, 09:37
For CPL subjects? You're joking right? The full-time ATPL course is shorter than that!

not joking. check Tait's site... of course they do vary between theory providers.
7 subjects, 8 weeks.. thats just over 1 a 5-day class week, not a bad in my opinion.

Which course gets you ATPLs in less than 8 weeks? would have lvoed that.. 6 weeks with Nathan gives you 4 of the 7 subjects...

not to start anything obviously.. its just time frames ive come across, and seem rather comfortable if you have the time to spare.

Aussie
12th Dec 2006, 11:23
I agree with the DJ, sounds a little long... 3-4 weeks is plenty of time.

Aussie

havick
12th Dec 2006, 11:33
I bought the AFT Distance learning course, and smashed out 1 subject a week.

I guess it all depends on your study habits and whether you need to sit in a class to learn it (ie instead of procrastination and getting no work done).

rmcdonal
12th Dec 2006, 23:37
If you just sit down and do the work it should take less then a month to do them all. Only problem would be getting yourself a booking with ASL as the seats seem to go fairly quickly. Wouldn't even bother going on a course for the CPL theory, can be easily self studied. As the others said Performance and loading is the hardest, so do it first, everything else should be a breeze.:ok:

lk978
13th Dec 2006, 06:56
I did cpl subject while at school, just used the bob tait books didnt really read them fully but did all the practice exams they were pretty much the same as the real exams

Aussie
13th Dec 2006, 07:26
yeah i recommend bob tait too, his cpl air law is spot on!

Aussie

Di_Vosh
13th Dec 2006, 15:53
Sorry mate,

That's what I get for posting without checking the facts. :ugh:
You're right; the ATPL course at AFT is between 5 and 6 weeks for the 4 "Hard" subjects.

But I'd still suggest that if you're able to, do the CPL subjects self-study.

Cheers,

DIVOSH!