PDA

View Full Version : Litvenenko

G-CPTN
11th Dec 2006, 12:32
Couldn't sensibly put this in any of the existing threads:-
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/12/11/germany.kovtun.ap/index.html
Is the net closing? (The positive indications date from BEFORE Kovtun met Litvenenko - it requires careful reading to understand this.)

German authorities said Sunday they found traces of polonium-210 at a Hamburg apartment where Kovtun is believed to have spent the night before he left for London to meet Litvinenko. The substance was found on a couch where Kovtun is believed to have slept.
Tests on radioactive traces found in the passenger seat of the BMW car that picked up Kovtun from the Hamburg airport showed that "it is definitely polonium," police spokesman Andreas Schoepflin said Monday.
Radioactive traces also have been found on a document Kovtun brought to Hamburg immigration authorities; and at the home of Kovtun's ex-mother-in-law outside Hamburg -- again from before the November 1 meeting.

Whatever his role, at this point, "we have to assume that Mr. Kovtun already had this polonium-210 contamination on him when he came to Hamburg October 28 on a flight from Moscow," police investigator Thomas Menzel said on ARD television.

tony draper
11th Dec 2006, 12:50
As a means of silencing somebody I think Polonium will be filed in the "Do not use this method again folder"
A murder weapon that can be traced every inch of its journey from production to utilisation is a bit daft.
:cool:

Stoney X
11th Dec 2006, 12:58
One wonders if that's the point Mr D.

Darn conspiracy theories are everywhere these days......:cool:

VFE
11th Dec 2006, 17:36
Don't know if this has been discussed on other threads but I'll say it here....

Is it just me or do those Rushkie spy types have a rather romantic ideal of death through politics? I ask this because when "The strange circumstances which lead to....." Litvenenko, he's lurching on his death bed, the closing speech weren't half a dramatic literary landscape lambasting the Russia of old.

They glory in it a little don't they? Surely!

http://www.stranglers.net/vlad.html <-- Bang on! Litvenenko was Vladimir!! :oh:

Woulda been easier for them to go down the tracks of 'requesting' rehabilitation in a Siberian health resort as a result of stress in furthering the people's policies, no?

VFE.

http://www.stranglers.net/audio/vpearl.ram

Keef
11th Dec 2006, 22:53
What I can't fathom: if this stuff is so deadly toxic, why were these guys spreading it about as if it were snuff? Any self-respecting assassin would keep it in a carefully sealed container inside a carefully sealed container inside a carefully sealed container inside...

I think we're dealing with amateurs who'd heard this stuff is kinda nifty for irrevocably dooming your competition, but hadn't listened to the rest of the lesson before they nicked it and set off for Blighty.

How long before enterprising shops up Tottenham Court Road start selling Polonium 210 detectors (or cellphones with Po-210 sensors)?

ORAC
12th Dec 2006, 05:53
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2006/12/12/matt.gif

Capt.KAOS
12th Dec 2006, 08:44
Whatever happened to that stuff Thallium the Ruskies used in the past?

Taildragger67
12th Dec 2006, 15:14
Won't be long before someone sees Mr Litvinenko enjoying a soya latte in a Starbucks with Elvis...

Tricky Woo
12th Dec 2006, 15:39
Agree, Polonium seems a daft substance to use to off someone. Even if it's supposed to be as an example to others to toe the line.

Them renaissance Italians had the right idea: a quick garotting, and no one outside the circle's the wiser for it. Those inside the circle soon get to know, and see it for what it is: an example killing that they might want to take note of.

TW

G-CPTN
13th Dec 2006, 21:32
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/12/13/russia.spy.ap/index.html
A key witness in the radiation death of former Russian security agent Alexander Litvinenko claimed the poisoning took place earlier than is widely believed, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
Andrei Lugovoi, a security agent-turned-businessman who met with Litvinenko at a London hotel on November 1, the day Litvinenko suspected he was poisoned, said in an interview with the Moskovsky Komsomolets tabloid that he and Litvinenko were poisoned on October 16.
"Who told you that the contamination took place on November 1? It took place much earlier, on October 16," Lugovoi was quoted as saying by the paper. Lugovoi is himself undergoing radiation checks in a Moscow clinic.

allan907
14th Dec 2006, 00:29
Bit of a downer though once you realise that you've been afflicted with the stuff and there's NO WAY OUT - next stop the undertakers.

G-CPTN
23rd Jul 2007, 11:50
Russian officials are saying that Lugovoy was contaminated by Litvenenko and not as the UK have suggested . . . :ugh:

frostbite
23rd Jul 2007, 13:03
Wonder if the Russians considered the (non) outcome of the cash for honours fiasco when deciding their bloke wouldn't get a fair trial in UK?

ORAC
23rd Jul 2007, 13:06
Russian officials are saying that Lugovoy was contaminated by Litvenenko and not as the UK have suggested Has everyone but me got a time machine. :{

I mean, he had to get contaminated, then travel back in time and space to Moscow to catch the flight to the UK leaving contamination on board.....

tony draper
23rd Jul 2007, 13:11
Polonium cost about 4000 dollars per gram,don't think MI5 could afford that method these days.

G-CPTN
23rd Jul 2007, 13:12
he had to get contaminated, then travel back in time and space to Moscow to catch the flight to the UK leaving contamination on board.....
We know that, but, apparently the Russians see things 'differently'.
Maybe it lost something in the translation?

G-CPTN
8th Apr 2015, 16:21
Alexander Litvinenko 'may have killed himself', key suspect says - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32221581)

Sallyann1234
8th Apr 2015, 17:50
I think we're dealing with amateurs who'd heard this stuff is kinda nifty for irrevocably dooming your competition, but hadn't listened to the rest of the lesson before they nicked it and set off for Blighty.

I take the opposite conclusion Keef.
To start with this is not the sort of stuff they could pick up at the local branch of thugsRus. It's very rare and very expensive. There are far easier and cheaper ways of killing someone.
Secondly the State organisation who gave the orders and provided the stuff would have been sparing with the H&S warnings in order not to make them too cautious. They were probably told that it was harmless unless swallowed.

And of course since the whole purpose of the killing was to warn others not to copy the victim's 'disloyalty', Putin is very comfortable with the trail leading back to Moscow. He wanted it to be known that there is no escape for traitors. And it worked.