PDA

View Full Version : Training on days off?

helen-damnation
11th Dec 2006, 11:29
Scenario: :hmm:

Your company used to roster 2 days of groundschool before your 6 monthly base check.:ok:
Then it was reduced to 1 day. :(
Now they don't roster any days but give you a monitored on-line course of study to do, which you are exptected to do in your own time. :*

If you don't do it, they threaten to withdraw you from the line and stop your pay. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Your union rep would have knocked the door down but....
NO UNIONS ALLOWED :=

Discuss: Fair/Unfair, Legal/Illegal..... What to do? :confused:

Count von Altibar
11th Dec 2006, 11:50
A money saving exercise I'm afraid and it obviously works well for some airlines as it get us flying the line for another 2 days. I actually prefer the 'chalk and talk' as I find it more focussed and sociable allowing discussion between colleagues. Your right in that the union should be onto this as it requires the employee to have access to a computer and most don't like to splash the cash.

SkyCruiser
11th Dec 2006, 11:53
mate, that's nothing.

In my company, I have just changed types, they rosterd me 5 G days off to complete my CBT training for the 777 conversion, it gets them out of paying duty pay...Cheap sods.:= := := := := :=

helen-damnation
11th Dec 2006, 12:25
SkyCruiser

If I read your post correctly, then you got rostered for the time required to do the stuff.
In this situation, it can be min days off and still do it in your own time.:ugh:

We all know it's to save the man hours on the ground.

Although the company chose to ignore the benefits of shared experiences etc, there were relatively few vocal grumbles until they started threatening to ground people :sad:

I seem to remember credit for groundschool, simulator duty etc. That's all gone too!

Banzai Eagle
11th Dec 2006, 17:10
Most of your colleagues tend to whine when rostered for such duties - they prefer to do in own time.....

145qrh
11th Dec 2006, 17:42
Don't want to spoil the surprise, but he is talking about ??. The former award winning airline and National ,sorry International, nope,:confused: a carrier from the UAE...yeah,yeah whatever.

We are now no more productive, we do 900 hours a year, plus up to 5 sim supports a month, and get bolloked ( spell checker suggested bullied :) ) for not doing company stuff on days off. Now we all study (mostly) before sims, but we are now "required", and must have a specked up PC with high-speed Internet to use the bloody terrible training software..All totally cost neutral , a favourite Management euphemism for shafting the workforce.

Shame we don't work in a civilised country because no one can do **** all about it.You could of coarse go to the GCAA :O :O :O because we all know how impartial they are. I hear they are about to cave in to the 1000hr per year request....

Going back to the question. I don't like it, I am doing it, haven't finished it yet, and waiting for my threating e-mail:) . I will do it, but the day before is when it will be finished. I will also do anything I can to "help" myself when it comes to dealing with company.

Sorry for stepping on your thread H-D, but penny pinching in the name of progress gets me annoyed...

helen-damnation
11th Dec 2006, 17:42
BE
I hear your point and I'm trying to resist the company slagging scenario.
However, many did prefer the rostered groundschool for the passing of experiences and info.
I offered the thread for discussion, I have my own opinion :O

chinawladi
12th Dec 2006, 03:32
Lot’s of companies have their slaves work on days off, let alone have them pay for their training. But look at the irony here at this company:
They force you to perform a solitary confinement act at home, with a utterly poor online program, to enhance your CRM – meaning also teamwork :ugh: - skills.
When you do not perform according to their unilaterally dictated will, you are threatened to get grounded and have your pay withheld.
Now that’s perfect company CRM!:mad:
Congrats Mr. SA, you just shied away 19999 of the monthly 20000 applicants.:D

Smudger
16th Dec 2006, 18:26
Two days of groundschool before your base check? Luxury!!!! Get real!! Most of us are lucky to get min rest off route before you go in the box!! Don't make me larff!!

helen-damnation
18th Dec 2006, 05:14
Smudger

You need to read the original post again.

'The Company' now requires me to complete an online, monitored course in my own time and will withdraw me from the line if I don't complete it.

This is totally different from the, hopefully, professional keeping up to date that we do anyway.

I believe that a 'required course of training' should be rostered in duty days.

Happy Christmas and 'Keep Larffin' :ok:

unablereqnavperf
18th Dec 2006, 10:34
You guys all have the option of leaving why don't you? I left such an operator and am now very happy! Decision making is a key part of CRM use it!