PDA

View Full Version : Am I too OLD?

ChocolatBabe
11th Dec 2006, 09:48
Hi everyone! I need honest opinions :\ . I want to be an FA with any UAE airlines but the only 'problem' is, I'm 30 and have no FA nor customer service experience :ugh:. Assuming I meet all the other criteria, am I still at a disadvantage because of my age and inexperience? Ive gone to a couple of interviews and got rejected, but one agent actually told me outright that I'm too old :sad: (even when I look 23, thats immaterial). She said:

if Im young, its doesnt matter if Im inexperienced, but
if Im 30 and above, they wont even consider me if Im inexperienced.

I don't mind brutal honesty, I just want to know so that I don't waste my time anymore over something I cant change, and finally call it quits :sad:.

ShesGreatintheGalley
11th Dec 2006, 10:49
i dont know what the UAE requirements are.. possibly stricter than others worldwide. If you were applying for any other airline i would say to read the post about the 85 year old United woman.. you are never too old to begin flying, we get new recruits in all the time that are you married, kids and want a change of career.
go for it! ;)

GalleyChick
11th Dec 2006, 11:32
When i started nearly 5 years ago in the airline I work with there were 2 people in my class that were 41 and 42 - both of them were ex-cops. There shouldn't be an age restriction especially at your age. You are still very young. There is a lady who I work with who would be nearly 65 this year, but she started young. She celebrated her 40th year as a flight attendant last year.

There is no harm in applying. Life experience counts for a lot also. We have very many young 18-19 year olds in our base who've come out of high school not long before (how much customer service experience would they have), I know I would choose a 30 year old over an 18 year old just out of high school with NO customer service experience.

Good luck. :ok:

DJTibby
11th Dec 2006, 13:57
who do you work for galleychick? Im 19 and haven't had a glimps in sidways, even after 8-9 interviews.

flytheplanemay
12th Dec 2006, 07:25
You are not too old for the airlines. Many people join Emirates in their 30s, though the average age of new crew would be mid 20s.

I think once upon a time they had an age restriction, but when I was there I knew people who were recruited in their 30s. Dont let age put you off at all.

Emirates philosophy is 'they choose people who like to be nice to other people, no matter who they are' or something similar.

Give it a go!

Goodluck!