PDA

View Full Version : night and day and HK/USA

funkymonk
11th Dec 2006, 07:41
SO...

I'm wondering about what CX's flying really does to a persons sleeping habits? How much of your life are you being "turned upside down" so to speak concerning flying at night and time changes and so on. I'm at a small US regional and even flying through two time zones is noticable when I'm on the wrong side of the time line for a 6 am show time. :yuk:

Is it just something that isn't really that bad, or is it really that bad but everyone just deals with it? I guess what I'm really asking is how often are you fatigued?

Yes we all know how smart you are that 'if you're fatigued you shouldn't be flying.' This I know and it is 100% true. But the question is concerning how tough CX flying is on your sleeping habits not whether you should be flying fatigued or not.

Part two,

I'm a young pilot with roughly 2000+ hrs TT. About 1400 of it is sic in a regional jet. I'm hoping to get on with CX as a DESO. I've heard many ask but haven't heard a good answer; when should I expect a call?

Also my wife and I are looking forward to moving to Hong Kong for the three years (or so I've been told) and then we would like to return to the states,our family ,and hopfully be based out of SAN or LAX.

Am I dreaming? Does it work this way or will it be tough for me to get back to a US base after I've started up in HK? I really apprieciate your responses.

Funkymonk:ok:

spongebob_pilot
11th Dec 2006, 09:02
SO,

your flying for MESA....what's it like flying for a the worst airline in the US regional market?? You should probably try to stick around and upgrade into a 90 seat jet at 32 seat jet pay and build your PIC time prior to looking for another job, I mean isn't that the foundation of the MESA pilot group? Undercut other respectable airlines to get growth at substandard pay to upgrade quickly. As far as how long it could take to get a call from CX, I can only say that I wish you a call as soon as I can see the blue sky on a daily basis here in the fragrant harbour. Our payscales don't need any additional pressure from race to the bottom pilots.

cheers

I'mbatman
11th Dec 2006, 22:52
SO,

your flying for MESA....what's it like flying for a the worst airline in the US regional market?? You should probably try to stick around and upgrade into a 90 seat jet at 32 seat jet pay and build your PIC time prior to looking for another job, I mean isn't that the foundation of the MESA pilot group? Undercut other respectable airlines to get growth at substandard pay to upgrade quickly. As far as how long it could take to get a call from CX, I can only say that I wish you a call as soon as I can see the blue sky on a daily basis here in the fragrant harbour. Our payscales don't need any additional pressure from race to the bottom pilots.

cheers

How do you know he doesn't fly for Skywest or Horizon or Chautauqua or Comair or any other regional out there? SO....I am waiting on class as a DEFO and am hoping someone reponds to your post in a normal manner.

spongebob_pilot
12th Dec 2006, 01:01
How do you know he doesn't fly for Skywest or Horizon or Chautauqua or Comair or any other regional out there? SO....I am waiting on class as a DEFO and am hoping someone reponds to your post in a normal manner.

Well Batman, considering he has 2000 hours, 1400 jet, I assume that he's been working at a regional carrier for about 2 years. And given the fact that the carriers you mentioned didn't hire pilots with 600 hours, and the fact that ARIZONA is home, I think it was a pretty safe assumption. Oh yeah, I also got a PM!!!

here's one of the previous questions...

"""I know its best to search out an answer before starting a new post...........EXACTLY. But I either come up with no answer or I end up thinking I've really found some good info until I realize I'm reading a post from 2001.........funny that I've read the answers to all these question within the past year. Would a few of you mind telling me what you know on the follow?

How much is the pay for a DESO in US $?............exchange rates found by googling.....payrates already published on pprune

How long would I expect to be in HK if I started as an FO...............you can't start as an FO in HK

Where do I get the flying heavy jets book?...............somewhere.

How much time did people in your new hire class have?.............more than you

Lastly, I was wondering if someone would like to be a pal (like your other pals who work for free?)and let me ask them over the phone a few questions about their path to eventually being hired.........SORRY, not interested. Just looking for a few details and want to know how they are liking being a new DESO in HK.:confused: .............its nice in HK, where we currently don't have to deal with the MESA phenomenon.

Funymonk""""

....I don't know but I thought most of this information was readily available using the search function properly. I guess they must have degraded the function since I used it last!

As for your post Batman, I'm not sure what kind of response your waiting for considering the fact that if you are a DEFO, you will immediately be based in the states....but given your level of preparation for the interviews, I'm sure you are already aware of that and also the lifestyle that you can be expecting.

oh, and by the way, SAN doesn't mean much in the aviation world, maybe you were looking for identifier SFO (yet another reason he doesn't work for skywest-they have daily flights and a base there)

maybe batman himself is another mesa pilot flying in the northeast, except he's moving on.....he's already tackled the "get a job for no money and bring down contractual pay across the board in the american regional industry"........and now his sights are set on the international carriers.....just the type of pilot that CX management is looking for. Maybe when you get on board at CX, you can convince the pilot group that growth is more important than a paycheck/family, and to improve your resume and career, its ok to degrade the profession. Maybe your in the management fast track? Are you a Frank Lorenzo fan?

apologies to the rest of you reading the post. I just am not a very understanding person when it comes to these issues, and I'm sure anyone who has experience in the same markets would agree.

D.O.bydefault
14th Dec 2006, 16:12
spongebobpilot summed up US regional part 121 ops for the last 10 years

let me put it another way: working for dogfood until you wear four bars, and at some regionals 4 bars is not a livable wage.