PDA

View Full Version : Approach climb performance.

Howard Hughes
11th Dec 2006, 07:20
I have just been reading CAO 20.7.2 and can't seem to find any reference to approach climb performance for aircraft below 5700kg. Are aircraft below 5700kg required to meet any approach climb requirements?

Also for landing charts on aircraft below 5700kg, do they take into consideration the use of reverse?

Cheers, HH.:ok:

Ratshit
11th Dec 2006, 07:59
Howard

I find my approaches work out better if I don't climb!

R:cool:

PS: Sorry mate, but you did leave yourself wide open.

Chimbu chuckles
11th Dec 2006, 08:06
HH answer to both is no:ok:

pakeha-boy
11th Dec 2006, 08:21
I believe the "real" Howard Huges had a drinking problem...maybe he,s still alive???...PB

Howard Hughes
11th Dec 2006, 08:40
Thanks Chuck, you are the Oracle!

PB. Hic...

Icarus2001
12th Dec 2006, 00:59
Are aircraft below 5700kg required to meet any approach climb requirements?

Well yes and no, CAO 20.7.4 requires a 3.2% gradient at not above 1.3 Vs for aircraft not above 5700kg for RPT (single engine), charter, aerial work and private operations.

Chimbu chuckles
12th Dec 2006, 01:45
The approach climb requirement is an assymetric missed approach performance requirement...like the landing climb requirement. The first is assumed to happen with approach flap and gear extended while the later is assumed to happen with landing flap and gear extended. It is a requirement designed to ensure the aircraft has the performance to climb on one engine while those are retracting.

As an example the F28 did not meet the Landing Climb requirements at Goroka and Mt Hagen landing flap 42 above a certain temperature, a WAT limit, so we had to land them flap 24 at those destinations in case we suffered an engine failure on approach and were subsequently unable to land...say a truck driving on the runway in the PNG case or not getting visual at the minima in more civilised climes. The aeroplane didn't have the performance to meet the requirements as the flaps retracted from 42->24 and the gear retracted...so we couldn't land at flap 42...at flap 24 and the high alt our touchdown speed often approached 170kts, which was the tyre limit speed...made the whole deal rather more sporting...and until we learned how to do it the odd fuse plug didn't stand up to the punishment leaving an aircraft stranded with one or more flat tyres:ok:

No aircraft certification process uses all available retarding forces for working out landing distances. As reverse is only really useful at high ground speeds and loses it's effectiveness as speed reduces it is the one that is generally ignored....they could of course choose to ignore the wheel brakes and just base the landing performance on reverse thrusters...but they don't.

The approach climb performance stuff applies to Transport category aircraft while the reverse thrust stuff applies to all aircraft, as far as I am aware, that have more than just wheel brakes for retardation on the ground. If you look at CAO 20.7.1b you will see the approach climb/landing climb requirements there in black and white...you don't see it in the performace criteria pertaining to aircraft < 5700kg.

VH-ABC
12th Dec 2006, 02:03
Chimbu,

Agree with your thoughts, but unless I have misread your post I believe landing climb requirements are with all engines operating, while approach climb requirements are with critical engine failed.

Cheers.

Chimbu chuckles
12th Dec 2006, 02:34
You're right...just checked and it is 3.2% on all engines for the landing case and 2.1% for the approach case OEI in two engined aeroplane. They made such a big deal about the approach assy case that I probably ended up melding the two concepts.

I think they way they looked at it in PX, and bare in mind this was first bought to the attention of the C&Ting department by an FO, was that you had an engine failure on the missed approach with the flaps travelling from 42-24 or some such. Too long ago to remember the nitty gritty.

Howard Hughes
12th Dec 2006, 02:59
Well yes and no, CAO 20.7.4 requires a 3.2% gradient at not above 1.3 Vs for aircraft not above 5700kg for RPT (single engine), charter, aerial work and private operations.
Hi Icarus,

I have been reading and re-reading 20.7.4, the figure you refer to is 'Landing Climb' which is all engines operating, what I am after is 'Approach Climb' which is critical engine out.

There is a definate requirement under 20.7.1b for aircraft above 5700, but can't find any requirement below, hence the question.

Jet_A_Knight
12th Dec 2006, 03:42
H.H - It's been a few years since I flew <5700kg, so bear with my faded memory (and the sheer joy of not operating in that category anymore!!)

The closest i believe you will get wrt to Ldg Climb performance for <5700kg a/c is what is written in CAO 20.7.4 'EN-ROUTE CLB PERFORMANCE'.

I believe the lack of requirement for actual LDG CLB performance has to do with the certification of that category of aircraft - in that OEI clb performance only had to be demonstrated - and it did not have to be a positive rate, either.

As CAO 20.7.2 refers to RPT, I make the assumption that the minimum operations would be the very least in accordance with CAO 20.7.4.

People like Gaunty have a lot more expertise and experience with this matter, so a search of his posts may clarify things.

Practically, as I mentioned earlier, it is prudent to raise the landing and IAP minima, creating an alternative 'Aircraft Landing Minima' in order to make the required obstacle clearance by raising the published minima to an altitude that will give you the required OEI obstacle clearance - or arrive at your aerodrome at a weight that will allow a rate of climb that will provide the 2.5% OEI obstacle clearance gradient in the missed approach..

How??

Quote from the excellent Chris Henry Command Instrument Rating Course (out of print now, I thnk)

For example:

Let's say that the published SE max ROC at MTOW is 90fpm at 90kts under ambient conditions, how would this affect the Aircraft Landing Minima for a Latrobe Valley VIC NDB?

1. Determine the difference between the minima and the miss approach altitude, in this case 3900 - 980 = 2920ft.

2. Detmine the ROC required to maintain obstacle clearance gradient. With a HWC of 10kts the GS in the climb would be 80kts. Multiply 80 x 2.5 = 200fpm which is the approximate minimum required rate of climb.

3. On the outside scale of your nav computer put 90 (the achievable ROC) against 200 (the required ROC) on the inside scale.

4. Against 2920 (clb requred) on the inside read 1314 on the outside scale. 1314 is the achievable climb. The shortfall is 1606ft.

5 ADD 1606ft to the published minima of 980'to determine a safe aircraft landing minima = 2586'.

In the event of an OEI approach (to the minima) you may have to divert to a field with better weather....

My apologies if i am telling you how to 'suck eggs'.

As always, i stand to be corrected.

djpil
12th Dec 2006, 04:55
Is CAO 101.4 what you're looking for?

gaunty
12th Dec 2006, 05:23
Always helps to go back to the source. Usually the FARs the Oz CAOs are usually a truncated or mishmash of them. The CAA and EADS are currently reviewing theirs and as is the wont of nations they will play technical one ups with each other as to whose is best and how they can trump the opposition manufacturers product to make theirs look better with a little regulatory buggery. Overall there is not much room for it if they want their product to be accepted in anothers airspace.

US FAR Certification standards, seeing as they are the big kids on the block. i.e. what the aircraft must be designed, powered and can demonstrate under a certain reasonable set of conditions, (not Astronaut/Test Pilot/Top Gun std).
For a/c => 5700kg Transport Category
§ 25.117 Climb: general.
Compliance with the requirements of §§25.119 and 25.121 must be shown at each weight, altitude, and ambient temperature within the operational limits established for the airplane and with the most unfavorable center of gravity for each configuration.

§ 25.119 Landing climb: All-engines-operating.
In the landing configuration, the steady gradient of climb may not be less than 3.2 percent, with—

(a) The engines at the power or thrust that is available eight seconds after initiation of movement of the power or thrust controls from the minimum flight idle to the go-around power or thrust setting; and

(b) A climb speed of not more than VREF.

[Doc. No. 5066, 29 FR 18291, Dec. 24, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 25–84, 60 FR 30749, June 9, 1995; Amdt. 25–108, 67 FR 70826, Nov. 26, 2002]

§ 25.121 Climb: One-engine-inoperative.
(a) Takeoff; landing gear extended. In the critical takeoff configuration existing along the flight path (between the points at which the airplane reaches VLOF and at which the landing gear is fully retracted) and in the configuration used in §25.111 but without ground effect, the steady gradient of climb must be positive for two-engine airplanes, and not less than 0.3 percent for three-engine airplanes or 0.5 percent for four-engine airplanes, at VLOF and with—

(1) The critical engine inoperative and the remaining engines at the power or thrust available when retraction of the landing gear is begun in accordance with §25.111 unless there is a more critical power operating condition existing later along the flight path but before the point at which the landing gear is fully retracted; and

(2) The weight equal to the weight existing when retraction of the landing gear is begun, determined under §25.111.

(b) Takeoff; landing gear retracted. In the takeoff configuration existing at the point of the flight path at which the landing gear is fully retracted, and in the configuration used in §25.111 but without ground effect, the steady gradient of climb may not be less than 2.4 percent for two-engine airplanes, 2.7 percent for three-engine airplanes, and 3.0 percent for four-engine airplanes, at V2 and with—

(1) The critical engine inoperative, the remaining engines at the takeoff power or thrust available at the time the landing gear is fully retracted, determined under §25.111, unless there is a more critical power operating condition existing later along the flight path but before the point where the airplane reaches a height of 400 feet above the takeoff surface; and

(2) The weight equal to the weight existing when the airplane's landing gear is fully retracted, determined under §25.111.

(c) Final takeoff. In the en route configuration at the end of the takeoff path determined in accordance with §25.111, the steady gradient of climb may not be less than 1.2 percent for two-engine airplanes, 1.5 percent for three-engine airplanes and 1.7 percent for four-engine airplanes, at VFTO and with

(1) The critical engine inoperative and the remaining engines at the available maximum continuous power or thrust; and

(2) The weight equal to the weight existing at the end of the takeoff path, determined under §25.111.

(d) Approach. In a configuration corresponding to the normal all-engines-operating procedure in which VSR for this configuration does not exceed 110 percent of the VSR for the related all-engines-operating landing configuration, the steady gradient of climb may not be less than 2.1 percent for two-engine airplanes, 2.4 percent for three-engine airplanes, and 2.7 percent for four engine airplanes, with

(1) The critical engine inoperative, the remaining engines at the go-around power or thrust setting;

(2) The maximum landing weight;

(3) A climb speed established in connection with normal landing procedures, but not more than 1.4 VSR; and

(4) Landing gear retracted.

[Doc. No. 5066, 29 FR 18291, Dec. 24, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 25–84, 60 FR 30749, June 9, 1995; Amdt. 25–108, 67 FR 70826, Nov. 26, 2002]

§ 25.123 En route flight paths.
(a) For the en route configuration, the flight paths prescribed in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section must be determined at each weight, altitude, and ambient temperature, within the operating limits established for the airplane. The variation of weight along the flight path, accounting for the progressive consumption of fuel and oil by the operating engines, may be included in the computation. The flight paths must be determined at any selected speed, with—

(1) The most unfavorable center of gravity;

(2) The critical engines inoperative;

(3) The remaining engines at the available maximum continuous power or thrust; and

(4) The means for controlling the engine-cooling air supply in the position that provides adequate cooling in the hot-day condition.

(b) The one-engine-inoperative net flight path data must represent the actual climb performance diminished by a gradient of climb of 1.1 percent for two-engine airplanes, 1.4 percent for three-engine airplanes, and 1.6 percent for four-engine airplanes.

(c) For three- or four-engine airplanes, the two-engine-inoperative net flight path data must represent the actual climb performance diminished by a gradient of climb of 0.3 percent for three-engine airplanes and 0.5 percent for four-engine airplanes.

Littlies <5700kg Normal, Utility, Commuter Category, yes that includes the turboprop King Airs and Conquests.

23.63 Climb: General.
(a) Compliance with the requirements of §§23.65, 23.66, 23.67, 23.69, and 23.77 must be shown—

(1) Out of ground effect; and

(2) At speeds that are not less than those at which compliance with the powerplant cooling requirements of §§23.1041 to 23.1047 has been demonstrated; and

(3) Unless otherwise specified, with one engine inoperative, at a bank angle not exceeding 5 degrees.

(b) For normal, utility, and acrobatic category reciprocating engine-powered airplanes of 6,000 pounds or less maximum weight, compliance must be shown with §23.65(a), §23.67(a), where appropriate, and §23.77(a) at maximum takeoff or landing weight, as appropriate, in a standard atmosphere.

(c) For normal, utility, and acrobatic category reciprocating engine-powered airplanes of more than 6,000 pounds maximum weight, and turbine engine-powered airplanes in the normal, utility, and acrobatic category, compliance must be shown at weights as a function of airport altitude and ambient temperature, within the operational limits established for takeoff and landing, respectively, with—

(1) Sections 23.65(b) and 23.67(b) (1) and (2), where appropriate, for takeoff, and

(2) Section 23.67(b)(2), where appropriate, and §23.77(b), for landing.

(d) For commuter category airplanes, compliance must be shown at weights as a function of airport altitude and ambient temperature within the operational limits established for takeoff and landing, respectively, with—

(1) Sections 23.67(c)(1), 23.67(c)(2), and 23.67(c)(3) for takeoff; and

(2) Sections 23.67(c)(3), 23.67(c)(4), and 23.77(c) for landing.

[Doc. No. 27807, 61 FR 5186, Feb. 9, 1996]

§ 23.65 Climb: All engines operating.
(a) Each normal, utility, and acrobatic category reciprocating engine-powered airplane of 6,000 pounds or less maximum weight must have a steady climb gradient at sea level of at least 8.3 percent for landplanes or 6.7 percet for seaplanes and amphibians with—

(1) Not more than maximum continuous power on each engine;

(2) The landing gear retracted;

(3) The wing flaps in the takeoff position(s); and

(4) A climb speed not less than the greater of 1.1 VMC and 1.2 VS1 for multiengine airplanes and not less than 1.2 VS1 for single—engine airplanes.

(b) Each normal, utility, and acrobatic category reciprocating engine-powered airplane of more than 6,000 pounds maximum weight and turbine engine-powered airplanes in the normal, utility, and acrobatic category must have a steady gradient of climb after takeoff of at least 4 percent with

(1) Take off power on each engine;

(2) The landing gear extended, except that if the landing gear can be retracted in not more than sven seconds, the test may be conducted with the gear retracted;

(3) The wing flaps in the takeoff position(s); and

(4) A climb speed as specified in §23.65(a)(4).

§ 23.66 Takeoff climb: One-engine inoperative.
For normal, utility, and acrobatic category reciprocating engine-powered airplanes of more than 6,000 pounds maximum weight, and turbine engine-powered airplanes in the normal, utility, and acrobatic category, the steady gradient of climb or descent must be determined at each weight, altitude, and ambient temperature within the operational limits established by the applicant with—

(a) The critical engine inoperative and its propeller in the position it rapidly and automatically assumes;

(b) The remaining engine(s) at takeoff power;

(c) The landing gear extended, except that if the landing gear can be retracted in not more than seven seconds, the test may be conducted with the gear retracted;

(d) The wing flaps in the takeoff position(s):

(e) The wings level; and

(f) A climb speed equal to that achieved at 50 feet in the demonstration of §23.53.

§ 23.67 Climb: One engine inoperative.
(a) For normal, utility, and acrobatic category reciprocating engine-powered airplanes of 6,000 pounds or less maximum weight, the following apply:

(1) Except for those airplanes that meet the requirements prescribed in §23.562(d), each airplane with a VSO of more than 61 knots must be able to maintain a steady climb gradient of at least 1.5 percent at a pressure altitude of 5,000 feet with the—

(i) Critical engine inoperative and its propeller in the minimum drag position;

(ii) Remaining engine(s) at not more than maximum continuous power;

(iii) Landing gear retracted;

(iv) Wing flaps retracted; and

(v) Climb speed not less than 1.2 VS1.

(2) For each airplane that meets the requirements prescribed in §23.562(d), or that has a VSO of 61 knots or less, the steady gradient of climb or descent at a pressure altitude of 5,000 feet must be determined with the—

(v) Climb speed not less than 1.2VS1.

(b) For normal, utility, and acrobatic category reciprocating engine-powered airplanes of more than 6,000 pounds maximum weight, and turbine engine-powered airplanes in the normal, utility, and acrobatic category—

(1) The steady gradient of climb at an altitude of 400 feet above the takeoff must be measurably positive with the—

(ii) Remaining engine(s) at takeoff power;

(iv) Wing flaps in the takeoff position(s); and

(v) Climb speed equal to that achieved at 50 feet in the demonstration of §23.53.

(2) The steady gradient of climb must not be less than 0.75 percent at an altitude of 1,500 feet above the takeoff surface, or landing surface, as appropriate, with the—

(v) Climb speed not less than 1.2 VS1.

(c) For commuter category airplanes, the following apply:

(1) Takeoff; landing gear extended. The steady gradient of climb at the altitude of the takeoff surface must be measurably positive for two-engine airplanes, not less than 0.3 percent for three-engine airplanes, or 0.5 percent for four-engine airplanes with—

(i) The critical engine inoperative and its propeller in the position it rapidly and automatically assumes;

(ii) The remaining engine(s) at takeoff power;

(iii) The landing gear extended, and all landing gear doors open;

(iv) The wing flaps in the takeoff position(s);

(v) The wings level; and

(vi) A climb speed equal to V2.

(2) Takeoff; landing gear retracted. The steady gradient of climb at an altitude of 400 feet above the takeoff surface must be not less than 2.0 percent of two-engine airplanes, 2.3 percent for three-engine airplanes, and 2.6 percent for four-engine airplanes with—

(i) The critical engine inoperative and its propeller in the position it rapidly and automatically assumes;

(iii) The landing gear retracted;

(iv) The wing flaps in the takeoff position(s);

(v) A climb speed equal to V2.

(3) Enroute. The steady gradient of climb at an altitude of 1,500 feet above the takeoff or landing surface, as appropriate, must be not less than 1.2 percent for two-engine airplanes, 1.5 percent for three-engine airplanes, and 1.7 percent for four-engine airplanes with—

(i) The critical engine inoperative and its propeller in the minimum drag position;

(ii) The remaining engine(s) at not more than maximum continuous power;

(iii) The landing gear retracted;

(iv) The wing flaps retracted; and

(v) A climb speed not less than 1.2 VS1.

(4) Discontinued approach. The steady gradient of climb at an altitude of 400 feet above the landing surface must be not less than 2.1 percent for two-engine airplanes, 2.4 percent for three-engine airplanes, and 2.7 percent for four-engine airplanes, with—

(i) The critical engine inoperative and its propeller in the minimum drag position;

(iv) Wing flaps in the approach position(s) in which VS1 for these position(s) does not exceed 110 percent of the VS1 for the related all-engines-operated landing position(s); and

(v) A climb speed established in connection with normal landing procedures but not exceeding 1.5 VS1.

§ 23.69 Enroute climb/descent.
(a) All engines operating. The steady gradient and rate of climb must be determined at each weight, altitude, and ambient temperature within the operational limits established by the applicant with—

(1) Not more than maximum continuous power on each engine;

(2) The landing gear retracted;

(3) The wing flaps retracted; and

(4) A climb speed not less than 1.3 VS1.

(b) One engine inoperative. The steady gradient and rate of climb/descent must be determined at each weight, altitude, and ambient temperature within the operational limits established by the applicant with—

(1) The critical engine inoperative and its propeller in the minimum drag position;

(2) The remaining engine(s) at not more than maximum continuous power;

(3) The landing gear retracted;

(4) The wing flaps retracted; and

(5) A climb speed not less than 1.2 VS1.

[Doc. No. 27807, 61 FR 5187, Feb. 9, 1996]

§ 23.71 Glide: Single-engine airplanes.
The maximum horizontal distance traveled in still air, in nautical miles, per 1,000 feet of altitude lost in a glide, and the speed necessary to achieve this must be determined with the engine inoperative, its propeller in the minimum drag position, and landing gear and wing flaps in the most favorable available position.

[Doc. No. 27807, 61 FR 5187, Feb. 9, 1996]

You will note that there are a few "new/tougher requirements" mostly 1996 and on (the history can be found at the bottom of the reg).

WARNING: The above are for new manufacture, your present aircraft may not be capable of meeting all of the above requirements as when it was manufactured it was not required to do so. You may find that your present aircraft is operating on grandfathered certification rules as old as circa 1960 some prior and would not now be certifiable. So dont try this at home folks.

ENJOY:p

gaunty
12th Dec 2006, 05:35
And just when you thought it was safe to back in the water, go here for an interesting read on what can happen when a manufacturer is certifying a new aircraft or to meet another countries standards.

The Company in this case just happens to be Bombardier, but ALL manufacturers have had and will have similar process and operational issues as they explore the outer limits of the flight envelope of their product.

They often go where no man has gone before, and like Capt Kirk, quite often get nasty surprises. "It's life Jim, but not as we know it.":8

djpil
12th Dec 2006, 07:47
I've been out of it for a while so I don't know how many airplanes are around certified to FAR 23 Commuter. Before that there was FAR 135 App A which had only a limited application in the USA.