PDA

View Full Version : EK and Leave......, or lack thereof.

Plank Cap
10th Dec 2006, 13:30
One is a little peeved..... More than a quarter of my leave outstanding for the current year (up til 31st March 07), and NO option to take it, due to lack of available days remaining from the company. No problem apparently, it'll get carried over to next year. Well, that is just not acceptable.....

So remember New Joiners, just because your contract says something about 42 days leave a year, doesn't mean you are going to get them. All this and Management still telling the press here that there is no shortage of pilots. So why are people not getting all leave due, and why are people being called up on days off to come to work??

What a crock of sh(1)t..........

EGGW
10th Dec 2006, 15:25
I have over half of mine to take, no frickin leave slots left. i guess after 10+ years they will owe me nearly a year off at the present rate.

EGGW

Ray Darr
10th Dec 2006, 18:39
...just be sure you toss "the keys" to the big wizzo-birds they expect you to fly (instead of rightly taking your LEAVE like most humans are allowed to do elsewhere in the REAL world) to the powers that be as you walk out the door for the last time and tell THEM to fly them!!

EK sure has lots of rust under that shiny chrome regardless what the muck-tooths want you to believe...

Ahh yes the Emperor sure has nice clothes, though.

Bling Bling. :yuk:

babemagnet
10th Dec 2006, 20:15
I agree it is out of this world and should be illegal that you can not take your Annual leave days!! I am sure the managers take leave whenever they feel like it!

kumul1
11th Dec 2006, 03:39
Give that leave chick a call and you will be surprised what she can do. Although it shows red on the portal, she has privy to info, (upgrades, fleet tx)and may have slots available. I called her and got a win.;)

145qrh
11th Dec 2006, 04:12
Typical EK, everything open, honest and transparent:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Check 'Six'
11th Dec 2006, 21:02
I gave her a call!

"Ah Yes, you can have leave in Feb. From the 3rd till the 6th. A whopping 3 days! Whooa! Cant wait!!

Check 'Six'

nolimitholdem
11th Dec 2006, 22:45
...just be sure you toss "the keys" to the big wizzo-birds they expect you to fly (instead of rightly taking your LEAVE like most humans are allowed to do elsewhere in the REAL world) to the powers that be as you walk out the door for the last time and tell THEM to fly them!!
EK sure has lots of rust under that shiny chrome regardless what the muck-tooths want you to believe...
Ahh yes the Emperor sure has nice clothes, though.
Bling Bling. :yuk:

Hmm...CX is hardly perfect either...but then, I don't work there, so I won't pass judgement...:=

Ramboflyer 1
12th Dec 2006, 03:38
At least the CX wages are 100% higher............

nolimitholdem
12th Dec 2006, 04:14
Interesting.

CX FO, 80k CDN (taxed at about 40%) for a N. American base.
EK FO, 72k CDN tax-free for a DXB base + accomodation.

Factor in the upgrade path, and your "100% higher wages" comparison gets a little weak...my colleague joining today will have a command before my CX buddy who's been toiling away in HKG for six years...

All what you want I suppose...but the "checking mentality" ain't exactly limited to the sandbox...

ruserious
12th Dec 2006, 04:43
Not sure its a valid comparison nolimitholdem, that is for a basing to get away from living in HKG.
If you want to compare, do it for DXB and HKG packages.
While I would not particularly like to live in the USA, I would happily pay tax on an EK salary, for a base in civilisation.

Check 'Six'
13th Dec 2006, 05:14
Hiya Mutt! You're right! A massive 4 days leave! That makes me feel a whole lot better. That's a 25% increase!! :D

Check 'Six'

Jolly Foreigner
13th Dec 2006, 06:48
Is there not a UAE Labour Law stating that employees must take a minimum specific number of their annual leave days per year? It rings a bell with my wife that there is from when she worked in recruitment in Dubai.

Maybe worth checking up on.........

uplock
13th Dec 2006, 07:07
Since when does having the law on your side help you in Dubai?

There is a law regarding annual leave here is a recent article from the gulf news

Ask the law: November 3, 2006
Staff Report

Employees should not be deprived of annual leave

A reader in Dubai (name withheld on request) asks: I worked for a restaurant in Dubai for more than two years. During this time my employer did not allow me to go on vacation. My contract states that I am entitled to an annual leave not less than 30 days with pay. Will I be able to encash my annual leave when my contract period ends?

Annual leave is the employee's right as per Article (75) of the Labour Law, which states that employee should be granted every year of his service an annual leave of 30 days minimum for each year.

Moreover, Article (78) of the same law states that the employee should be paid if the employee work during the leave period and the employee should not be obliged to work during annual leave for more than once every two years.

As per the above articles, the employee has the right to claim payment for the annual leave upon end of service.

read this link http://hrw.org/reports/2006/uae1106/6.htm to the UAE Labor Law from Human Rights Watch

violate
18th Dec 2006, 07:22
So am I missing something here. Got my initial leave bid from StarFleet command and have been allocated 16 days.
I now go on to do my secondary bid and find the maximum I can request is 14 days in one block. WTF, is this new restriction another cunning plan so they can cram in more flying during a leave month and not pay you any credit for it.
I am so pi**ed off with this organisation and its pi** poor planning, operational flexibility at the cost of pilots bulls**it. I feel VIOLATED :ugh:

Backwater
18th Dec 2006, 10:37
You got peak leave and you're complaining?
But I agree. We should be able to get our contractural 42 days every year.
That we can't just underlines the manning problem nobody in management seems to be admitting to.

violate
18th Dec 2006, 16:57
No I did not get peak leave, I got my second choice, which was not peak

ruserious
19th Dec 2006, 18:51
Yeah, next stop is maximum leave of 1 week in any given month, throw in your ppc's, standby etc and you will only get your due overtime payment during 2 months of the year.

pintofstella
19th Dec 2006, 20:05
12 and a bit years and got nothing, not even any of my 3 non peak leave bids!!!! questions will be asked once i can get past the answer machine in leave bidding that seems to be the norm now in most of ek departments.