PDA

View Full Version : Christmas shopping mania

HOGE
10th Dec 2006, 14:24
Following on from the various threads about people in supermarkets and aggresive Brits, why is it, as Christmas approaches, everyone feels the need to shop as if a 3 month seige has been announced?

Coming out of town today, (after a little shopping on the express wishes of the other half), the queue inbound was at least 1/2 mile long, before joining queues for the car parks. You can't want to go shopping that much, surely?

(I went in early, no queue, but still every carpark 99% full). If I'd had to hold, there would have been an immediate diversion back to home.

I am also amazed about the amount of "seasonal" food available. How much of this gets binned, either by the store, or the customer? Seems to be an awful lot of waste, which I sure isn't what Christmas is about.

Don't bother discussing, either add your own comments, or disagree in a pedantic fashion.:}

C130 Techie
10th Dec 2006, 21:01
I am thankful that this year I have discovered the tranquility of internet shopping which is so much easier. Haven't been into town since early November.

It does make you wonder though how much food goes to waste at this time of year

Krystal n chips
11th Dec 2006, 05:48
Profit is the obejective for the supermarkets, hence the price hikes :mad: at Christmas, and the fact that, seemingly, nobody eats small portions during this period. That said, they invariably overstock the shelves in the optimistic hope that most of the public are clinically brain dead at this time of year and will simply pay up anyway----which they do as most people simply don't plan, they just go and buy because "everybody else is". :ugh:

Why people gut the shelves, just because the supermarkets are closed for a couple of days is beyond me----there again, so is much of the supposed rationale in our current "society".

Wyler
11th Dec 2006, 11:56
They will all be out again on Boxing Day, like flies round sh!t.

Then it will be the Sales rush on Jan 1.

Morons.

:rolleyes: :ugh: :mad: :* :=

Windy Militant
11th Dec 2006, 15:40
Anybody seen any Easter eggs Yet! :}