PDA

View Full Version : CPL Aerodynamics

multi_engined
10th Dec 2006, 10:25
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has any tips for the CPL aerodynamics exam?

Some people say its tough, heard some say its easy, some say its the most interesting paper of them all LoL...

Trying to memorise the table for wake turbulence standards is quite difficult though!

Regards,

Multi Engined.

kair1234
10th Dec 2006, 11:24
Hows this for a tip. Spend some more time studying than posting on pprune and letting us all know where you are up to in your training :E

witwiw
10th Dec 2006, 11:25
know the graphs inside out
know the difference between THRUST and POWER and what relates to ENDURANCE and RANGE etc... these minor aspects bing people unstuck quite easily

multi_engined
10th Dec 2006, 22:34
and letting us all know where you are up to in your training

It's in my profile LoL... why not give yourself the best possible chance of passing, it has helped a lot in the past.

morno
10th Dec 2006, 23:47
Hows this for a tip. Spend some more time studying than posting on pprune and letting us all know where you are up to in your training

Here here!!

Get off the stupid net and study your exams. You're irritating.

morno

Spelunker
11th Dec 2006, 01:13
..why not give yourself the best possible chance of passing, it has helped a lot in the past.

no ****, having people tell you exactly what areas to focus on helps a lot in passing the exam. You dont have to waste time studying unnecessary material like everyone else has.

What you're doing is nothing short of cheating. Are you too stupid to pass them on your own?

You've posted a thread like this on every exam you're about to sit.

Study the damn things yourself like everybody else has, instead of trying to find an easy way out of these exams.

Study it and you'll do yourself justice by being a more educated pilot.

kair1234
11th Dec 2006, 01:39
multiengined

I'm no guru but at your level of experience, listening to the carp spun on pprune will only over complicate and confuse the hell out of you.

multi_engined
11th Dec 2006, 02:14
It isn't any different to talking to other students at a flying school.

I would hardly call it cheating, it's not giving away questions or answers for a matter of fact.

Typical pprune style, shoot everyone down for having a go.

Ooh and for your information, its the people who are selling the PPL exam questions and answers who should be the ones copping it.

sir.pratt
11th Dec 2006, 02:38
don't read the 182 thread

the wizard of auz
11th Dec 2006, 05:24
Here is the easiest way to pass that exam.
RTFQ. it is half the answer.
cover your answer choices, or just ignore them. if your question requires working out, work it out and see if your answer is an exact match to one of the choices.
Think about the question, then see if your response is matched with a choice in the answers. be careful though, as there will be a detractor answer in there that will LOOK like the correct answer, but mean something other than what it looks like. It was put in there on purpose to catch you out if your in a hurry.
Draw the question. Aerody is mostly mechanical, and lends itself to diagrammatic explanation readily. If you understand your stuff, a picture will make the question easier to understand, and usually the answer is contained within the question diagram.
Study, study study. don't cram just before the exam though, as it will haunt you in the exam if your studying the wrong area. relax and and go into the exam positively.
Don't read to much into the question. just answer what it asks, and not what you think it could be asking. I have read far to much into a question, looking for the trap, and then answered it wrong as I lost track of what it was actually asking.
I managed a 97%.
Good luck with it.

Ratshit
11th Dec 2006, 05:52
Multi-engined

Change your name to "Single-engined" and work your way up the dung heap like the rest of us.

R:cool:

kair1234
11th Dec 2006, 06:16
Multi-engined

Change your name to "Single-engined" and work your way up the dung heap like the rest of us.

R:cool:

But apparently Multi-engined is going to be twin endorsed in december (which is now isn't it) haha.

Sorry, but a bit of a thread diversion, what are peoples thoughts on when a safe experiance level is to do your initial twin endorsement. Surely not the week after you have passed your CPL. I remember when I was given the assymetric brief and :mad: me but it made me scared to jump in the duchess :eek:. Loose 80% of your power, not guaranteed to climb and the rest. Emagine loosing an engine at blue line just after takeoff, bugger me but it isn't guna be an easy job keeping it in the air with 40 degree temps up the northern half of Aus. Throw in doing an instrument rating and you are trying to remember a new set of rules when you barely know the rules for VFR flight and can't even make a radio call without sounding like an idiot.

Is it really a safe or smart idea to learn how to fly twins and/or do your IFR just after CPL. IMHO i think the smartest thing you could do would be get a single engine charter job and a year later do your IFR.

Your thoughts???

maxgrad
11th Dec 2006, 06:28
Horses for courses, one may cope well with a twin endo and instr rating etc, where another may fold up.

I'm with Wiz on this one.

the wizard of auz
11th Dec 2006, 06:29
I did my initial twin at about 150hrs and before I got my commercial. ( I did the 250hr course, as I didn't intend getting a comm, but changed my mind about the 200hr mark). never hurt me at all. wasn't overwhelming at all, as most people use an easy type, entry level twin to do their initial. I used a Seneca. Slow, forgiving and easy to fly (also a bucket of sh1t). :}

maxgrad
11th Dec 2006, 06:40
I did duchess endo then straight into a instr rating. Not a real biggy just do the drills and study like mad
Thought the duchess was a high performance twin that looked really cool......ah to be young and foolish

kair1234
11th Dec 2006, 06:48
HAHA yeah the duchy, i thought it was all that when I first flew it. I recon a quick 210 would give it a good run for its money these days. 210's sound better aswell.

multi_engined
14th Dec 2006, 23:00
But apparently Multi-engined is going to be twin endorsed in december (which is now isn't it) haha.

Yep, Iv'e just finished the twin endorsement in the duchess.

morno
15th Dec 2006, 04:46
Yep, Iv'e just finished the twin endorsement in the duchess

What a waste. Why waste your valuable money doing it in a Duchess?

morno

Aussie
15th Dec 2006, 07:13
From what i remember, know all the graphs mate, and youll be right. BIt on stability too

Aussie

multi_engined
20th Dec 2006, 01:39
What a waste. Why waste your valuable money doing it in a Duchess?

morno

Because the partnaviars are peices of sh**

morno
20th Dec 2006, 01:56
So what's wrong with a Baron then?

Or even a Travelair (gives you a Baron endorsement as well)??

Or a 310??

morno

4SPOOLED
20th Dec 2006, 01:58
PN68 maybe a peice, but a few operators use them up north, and i heard someone does scenics in sydney in them!

I dont know anyone except training schools who use a duchess. Would be far more usefull in the PN68, but fly the duchess, more multi jobs waiting for me!

And exam wise? study the lot and know it well, it may save your life one day.

:ok:

4S

multi_engined
21st Dec 2006, 22:36
PN68 maybe a peice, but a few operators use them up north, and i heard someone does scenics in sydney in them!

I dont know anyone except training schools who use a duchess. Would be far more usefull in the PN68, but fly the duchess, more multi jobs waiting for me!

And exam wise? study the lot and know it well, it may save your life one day.

:ok:

4S

Yeah I am doing my training at a flying school where a guy uses PN68s for sydney harbour scenics. Ours are just in a bad state, have had three wing life extensions and I have spoken to a few engineers who do work on our PN68s and reckon they should have been retired long ago. Our CFI is just being a tight arse trying not to buy new twins.

I would have loved to have done my twin in a baron, but I didn't have the extra cash nor are there any available.

morno
21st Dec 2006, 22:40
Bull**** there's none available.... www.johnstonaviation.com

And at a reasonable cost!

morno

maxgrad
21st Dec 2006, 22:50
Had a look at the website. Seems ok, just one question though, is it normal in a photo shoot to have 5,6 or seven eager individuals all leaning on their respective a/c spinners?

multi_engined
23rd Dec 2006, 02:04
Bull**** there's none available.... www.johnstonaviation.com (http://www.johnstonaviation.com)

And at a reasonable cost!

morno

I don't want to sound rude but when I say I can't afford it do you think I can pay for a flight up there and back, accomodation etc?

Sometimes we can't always do what we want. it's life.