PDA

View Full Version : Keeps asking me to connect despite being wireless

gingernut
10th Dec 2006, 09:00
Can any of you guys offer me your expert assistance?

I'm connected to Broadband via wireless card and BT Hub, but my computer keeps asking me to connect via dial up.

I've changed the default connection in the control panel/network connection path, (to deselect dial up), and also asked the computer to "never dial up" in the tools/internet options/connectivity menu.

The wireless is automatcally detected, and I appear to have a good signal.

The problem seems to reccur afterthe computer is switched off and then back on again. Reconfiguring the wireless connection using windows, seems to rectify things.

I've spoke to the best minds in India, who were very helpful, but after 5, hours , told me that they had exhausted all the options regarding the settings, and advised me to take the laptop back to the vendor.

Any suggestions before I make the trip back to Manchester?

thanks, G&Mrs G

BOAC
10th Dec 2006, 09:26
Which OS?

ASSUMING Windows, is there anything else in your start up (either in 'start-up' or in the registry 'run' or 'run once') that calls for a dial-up connnection?

Maybe post your 'startup' list here?

BEagle
10th Dec 2006, 10:49
Have you tried this:

Go to 'Control Panel', then 'Internet Options', then 'Connections'. You should get something looking like this (assuming you're using Windows XP):

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/IP.jpg

If there are any dial ups shown in the 'Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings' window where my 'VMC Internet Access' is, then remove them and just use the LAN setting options.

gingernut
12th Dec 2006, 06:09
Thanks for the replies chaps. BEagle, thanks I've tried this, the "Dial up and virtual private networks" window contained two items "BTOW" and "Broadband Connection." The "BTOW" entry keeps re-insering itself, and the "Broadband Connection" has disappeared.

The "Never dial a connection" radio button keeps resetting itself.

I can get a connection by going to START/CONNECT TO/SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS/ and then "asking windows to automatically configure card" in the "wireless connections" tab, but I have to do this each time he computer starts up.

BOAC its windows xp, how do I find the "Startup" and "run or run once registry?"

cheers

BOAC
12th Dec 2006, 07:40
Warning! Registry editing can be harmful to your computer's health.

Mike Lin has a very useful Control Panel add-on here (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) which will check all the stuff, including the registry and 'does' the registry stuff for you. I suggest you download this and report back with any 'suspicious' items for advice?

There is a lot about XP and start up available via Google - here is one - http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/startup/startup-4.shtml

EDIT: The only other concern I have is that you may have a 'nasty' in the system trying to get you to dial-up to one of the international premium numbers. As long as the wireless connection is there you will be safe, I think, and we should be able to find it in due course if it is there. Don't panic, Carruthers!

Keef
12th Dec 2006, 09:22
The dial-up one reinserting itself is a serious worry. That shouldn't be happening.

Windows XP does have a few foibles (like however often you tell it NOT to display certain things in the taskbar, it will turn them back on), but I've never had mine add in a dial-up once it had been removed.

Further investigation of exactly who "BTOW" is, I suggest.

gingernut
12th Dec 2006, 10:06
Cheers chaps, I'll give them a go tonight.

BOAC
12th Dec 2006, 10:49
Further investigation of exactly who "BTOW" is, I suggest - BT Open World, maybe?

gingernut
14th Dec 2006, 06:03
Thanks BOAC I've intalled Mike Lins startup programme, and have found a BT open word program "c:\program files\bt yahoo!\Dial BT Yah..."

Do you think it may be worth disabling it ?

The othe programs which seem related to my bt connection are "bbtm_wcm_Mcci Tray" and "YBrowser" and "YOP"

In the HKCU/Run tab, ther includes an "eyeBeam SIP client" tab which seems to be related to a BT softphone program, and a "Skpe" program.

I appreciate your help.

BOAC
14th Dec 2006, 07:49
I know nothing of BT Openworld, its products, how to install/uninstall, but if you don't need it, I would suggest you kill it. Somewhere something is trying to get you to call mother:) .

Google produced info for eyebeam and in view of your ref. to Skype I would guess you are playing with VOIP? Again, get rid of what you do not need.

Most decent programmes have uninstall features :{ . Try their web site/ help pages if you are stuck. There are other ways of getting rid of things, but best to do it the 'proper' way to start. You will probably shortly get advice on BT Openworld, Skype and Eyebeam. Stay tuned!

Perhaps look at the 'hijack this' sticky here? That may give you extra info.