PDA

View Full Version : Young man looking to see the world...

luigi_m_
10th Dec 2006, 00:17
I'm 19, currently studying Business at University, and I just don't enjoy it. I'm applying to the RAF soon (Pilot or Air Traffic Controller). I know the process can take up to 9 months to complete, and that's before I would actually start any training. Anyway, I have allways wanted to travel, so I was thinking what better time to do that than now. Basically, I'd like to know which airlines it's worth me applying to at the moment for short-haul flights (Europe), preferably where I would be able to work from South Eastern airports, as I live in Kent/Hampshire. My "CV" so far looks like:

+ Spanish as a second Language, and a bit of German
+ National Pool Lifeguard Qualification
+ Private Pilot's license
+ Polite
+ A-levels : English Lanaguage, Media Studies, Spanish
+ 10 GCSE's
+ Polite & dedicated (just not to my degree...)

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me

jennihopkins
10th Dec 2006, 12:29
i'm not sure if you're saying you want to see the world by being air cabin crew, but if you are only flying to destinations in europe, u probably wont see any of the world. just the tarmac of the airport! lol

tiggerific_69
10th Dec 2006, 14:09
being of a "muscular build" wont get you a job either!i agree with Jenni,being crew is a great way of seeing lots of different types on tarmac.Good views from the office window when youre airborne though!

luigi_m_
10th Dec 2006, 17:40
i'm not sure if you're saying you want to see the world by being air cabin crew, but if you are only flying to destinations in europe, u probably wont see any of the world. just the tarmac of the airport! lol

Do you really not see that much in the way of actual cities?

tiggerific_69
10th Dec 2006, 17:44
i can list the places i fly to from my base,and how many of them ive actually seen if you want?sometimes,even when you get a nightstop there,youre just on minimum rest and are too tired to go anywhere,for example you may get there early evening,say 5pm local time,and be leaving again 12hours later.

bmibaby.com
10th Dec 2006, 18:11
Cabin crew is a wonderful way of getting some insight into the airline industry - how it works, meeting exciting people etc. If you're looking at seeing parts of the world, then you'd definitely be able to do this using staff travel benefits, but not as part of your actual flying, as nightstopping crew is very expensive for airlines so many are trying to phase this out, only nightstopping crew away from base if it is really operationally necessary to do so or the airline need to fly from a base that is not the crew's own for staffing reasons. In the shorthaul arena for the south-east, travel benefits wise, I'd definitely recommend easyJet or Ryanair. They work their crews very hard, but both are going through periods of exciting growth and have excellent staff travel programmes from joining - whereas some airlines like bmi have a more prohibitive but expansive staff travel programme.

luigi_m_
10th Dec 2006, 18:59
Thanks for that. What do you think of the oppertunities of joining a Spanish airline such as Iberia?

bmibaby.com
10th Dec 2006, 19:19
Spanish airlines are very difficult to get into them. Often they insist before doing an airline specific course that you have already gained a LEMSA or equivalent qualification, a little big like an A Level in cabin crewing. So even if your Spanish is wonderful, it's a lot of extra work working for a Spanish airline. You could always consider joining easyJet and asking to be based in MAD.

luigi_m_
10th Dec 2006, 19:33
You could always consider joining easyJet and asking to be based in MAD.

Is that really possible?

tiggerific_69
10th Dec 2006, 19:36
they are setting up a new base,but its possible that people with higher seniority will get sent there if they choose to,than new entrants

bmibaby.com
10th Dec 2006, 21:28
I was certainly under the impression that easyJet allow you to choose your base if there are vacancies available and you can speak the local language on top of English, and to the best of my knowledge when I last checked, Madrid-Barajas was one of their recruiting bases.

luigi_m_
10th Dec 2006, 21:45
Well, I will consider trying to base in Spain, but in terms of applying for UK0based airlines in the Southeast, who should I send my CV to at the moment? I understand that EasyJet are accepting applications for EGKK at the moment.

jennihopkins
11th Dec 2006, 14:16
you are in a good location in the south east because of gatwick airport. and LOADS of companies fly from gatwick! first choice, monarch, GB airways, excel (im pretty sure!), and loads of other charter airlines im sure do (thomas cook, thomsonfly, my travel) and of course scheduled carriers like virgin atlantic do as well. but that would be mainly long haul. however, a great way to see the world!

Dolley
11th Dec 2006, 16:54
Dude,
if you wanna see the world I wouldn't recommend working as cabin crew (as much as I love it). Get yourself a working holiday visa for Australia or New Zealand and go and see the world. Cause like you said, now is the time to do it! Just check out theit government websites, it's really easy!
Otherwise go for longhaul, at least there you will actually nightstop and see stuff. With easyjet or ryanair it's the tarmac like the others already mentioned... and as your pay isn't that great in the beginning you probably won't do much staff travel either. Best thing there would be MAD base from easyjet. Good luck!

luigi_m_
11th Dec 2006, 17:21
Well, to be honest, I don't really want to go to Australia or NZ, seem like pretty boring places to me. I'm more interested in the cultural parts of Europe like Italy and Spain

klinitco
12th Dec 2006, 05:49
Well, to be honest, I don't really want to go to Australia or NZ, seem like pretty boring places to me. I'm more interested in the cultural parts of Europe like Italy and Spain

Although I can't say I agree that Oz and NZ are boring, being from here I'd rather see more of other parts of the world. If you're turning 20 soon I think some mideast carriers (Qatar) might be an option. It would be longhaul flying I think (I'm definitely no expert, but there's tonnes of experts on mideast airlines around pprune), but you'd be able to get night stops around in Europe, plus see a bit of Asia and Africa while you are at it. Regarding conditions working with airlines in the Middle East, and how you'd actually feel after your longhaul flights if you think that may be an option I'd contact some employees from this site. I know at Emirates you have to be 21 though...