PDA

View Full Version : JSF 1st Flight

ErgoMonkey
9th Dec 2006, 21:30
I've heard Thursday could be 1st flight...........any takers?

ZH875
9th Dec 2006, 21:47
Thursday, but which year?.

hobie
9th Dec 2006, 21:54
That flight could come as early as Monday, although bad weather is forecast for that day, said Brig. Gen. David Heinz, the deputy program executive officer for the F-35.

How about next monday? ...... subject to weather of course .... :confused:

http://www.examiner.com/a-442563~First_flight_of_Joint_Strike_Fighter_jet_likely_next_ week.html

M!KE
10th Dec 2006, 09:25
FORT WORTH, Texas , December 8, 2006 --
The F-35 Lightning II moved under its own power for the first time on Thursday afternoon, initiating the last series of tests before the fighter jet’s first flight.
After a series of systems checks at Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] in Fort Worth, F-35 Chief Pilot Jon Beesley advanced the throttle and the F-35 moved out of its hangar to begin taxi tests. The jet then traveled at up to 30 knots (~ 35 m.p.h.) on the runway, testing systems such as brakes and nosewheel steering in advance of first flight. Medium-speed taxi tests of 65 knots (~ 75 m.p.h.) and 80 knots (~ 92 m.p.h.) are planned next, weather permitting. The first Lightning II is powered by the Pratt & Whitney F135 turbofan, the most powerful engine ever installed in a fighter aircraft.
The stealthy F-35 is a supersonic, multi-role, 5TH Generation fighter designed to replace a wide range of existing aircraft, including AV-8B Harriers, A-10s, F-16s, F/A-18 Hornets and United Kingdom Harrier GR.7s and Sea Harriers.
Lockheed Martin is developing the F-35 Lightning II with its principal industrial partners, Northrop Grumman and BAE Systems. Two separate, interchangeable F-35 engines are under development: the Pratt & Whitney F135 and the GE Rolls-Royce Fighter Engine Team F136.
Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin employs about 140,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The corporation reported 2005 sales of $37.2 billion.
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/13800.jpg

scribbler614
10th Dec 2006, 10:59
Forgive the dumb-ar5e question (I tend to lose track of this saga) but given that JSF prototypes have been flying for some years, precisely which JSF first flight will this be?
First by a production model? First by finalised design for STOVL variant?

Jackonicko
10th Dec 2006, 12:48
Only the proof of concept X-35 demonstrators have flown.

This would be the first flight by a prototype with the same external mould-line as the planned production F-35A configuration, albeit not built to the same structural standards.

ErgoMonkey
10th Dec 2006, 13:00
from the picture I guess the first flight is going to be without the Helmet display?

scribbler614
10th Dec 2006, 13:47
Thanks, Jackonicko.

PPRuNeUser0211
10th Dec 2006, 15:21
Is it just me or does that look a little chubbier than the x-35;)