PDA

View Full Version : First Woman who could have been President dies at 80.

con-pilot
9th Dec 2006, 17:50
Jeane J. Kirkpatrick, an Oklahoma native, who became the first female Ambassador to the United Nations for the United States died in her sleep at the age of 80.

Kirkpatrick who was raised and lived as a member of the Democratic Party until 1985 when she changed to the Republican Party during the Reagan years. She served as a member of the Security Council and held a Cabinet Post under Reagan. She accomplished much in her lifetime, however, she is best remembered as the 'outspoken' US Ambassador to the United Nations.

In 1988 Kirkpatrick considered running for President, sadly despite considerable support she decided against campaigning for the office.

Jeane J. Kirkpatrick was an very intelligent, witty and vibrant person who was liked and admired by both friend and foe. Her passing I feel will leave the United States a little less balanced.

AcroChik
9th Dec 2006, 18:09
"First Woman who could have been President dies at 80."

That's what my parents always said about her.

Jean Kirkpatrick was a blunt-spoken person. When she left government service and could speak more freely, someone asked her if she would recommend the new administration pay closer attention to Africa.

"The US should pay attention to those regions whose strategic interests intersect ours," she said.

So, you'd recommend paying more attention to what's happening in Africa, the journalist opined.

"Europe, Russia, the Middle East and Asia intersect our interests," was the reply. "Leave Africa to China."

It appears to have been a prescient remark, as the Chinese, as a matter of national policy, have been working to develop strong commercial and strategic ties in Africa since Bush-the-Father was in office.

Civis
9th Dec 2006, 18:40
CON,
Thanks for posting this, one has removed oneself from current events due to time constraints but checking in here today and seeing your post saddened ones heart. She was indeed a stoic voice of reason amongst the PC crowd and tis quite understandable that she had the forethough to realize that pursuing her " truths and heart " would not be compatible with modern politics. People such as Mrs. Kirkpatrick are only appreciated in times of real crisis. The world has lost a true visionary and LEADER!

ACROCHIK's comments RE China ring true. How, oh how, do we retain people of substance in the political morass of western politics when the eastern mind ( I Ching ) and a few good history books forebode the future.

My humblist sympathies to her family and saddness for the western world ( edit to add " The entire world " community ) that shunned her well founded vision of things to come.

God Bless you Jean, you were truly one in a million or more.

Duff beer
11th Dec 2006, 13:26
well......she did have the occasional serious lapse in judgement.

She did her best to pursuade Regan to support the Argentinan military regime during its invasion and occupation of the democratic, British soverign territory of the Falkland Islands.

Thankfully Regan ignored her, giving us sat intelligence and weapons. Others in the administration described her support as the most stupid thing theyve ever heard.

History shows she was wrong........After the war the defeated regime was replaced by a democratic government.

Maybe certain other polititions will be judged by history for the decisions theyve made recently.

DB,

Civis
11th Dec 2006, 17:10
Duff,
Didn't know that, any references? Not a challenge my friend, just an occasional student of history who ponders how decisions are made
~ good and bad.

Duff beer
11th Dec 2006, 17:23
Try this pal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2006/12/09/db0901.xml

It isnt the exact obituary they published in print, that one focused much more on the Falklands issue.

DB,

also an extract form another paper.

Her most notorious performance came during the Falklands war of 1982 when she made little or no effort to disguise her distaste for American diplomatic support of Britain. She later explained that "I thought a policy of neutrality in that war made sense from the point of view of US interests and would have done Britain no harm", but she was far from passive. There was reliable evidence, for example, that she had regular contacts with members of the Galtieri government to pass on details of her government's latest diplomatic intentions.

Civis
11th Dec 2006, 17:31
Thanks Duff,
Duly read , more research to the "if time permits pile" ~ will pass on to ones son ~ a polisci major.