PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Medal for Bomber Command

PPRuNe Pop
9th Dec 2006, 15:29
A petition to the Prime Minister has been set up to persuade the government to strike a Campaign Medal for members of Bomber Command in WW2 - who have been denied what most people still believe is a shameful rejection of those who did what was asked of them.

Please click on the link and add your name to the petition which is also appearing elsewhere on PPRuNe.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BomberCommand/

Saab Dastard
10th Dec 2006, 15:52
Done, with pleasure.

Thanks for the link.

SD

Final 3 Greens
12th Dec 2006, 05:00
Just signed it.

A national disgrace that these very brave men were not given a campaign medal.

propaganda
12th Dec 2006, 07:42
A campaign medal is the least a once proud nation can give in gratitude .
But I doubt Tony's PC committee will honour this brave young men...

Flash2001
13th Dec 2006, 21:12
This would no doubt delight my uncle W/C W.M. Stephen RCAF, DSO, Croix de Guerre etc. Unfortunately he passed away 59 years after the campaign ended and so will never get to see it. It is with some bitterness that I see that the petition is restricted by residence to the British Isles. There were a few colonials in Bomber Command.

He was one.

PAXboy
20th Dec 2006, 02:17
Thansk for bringing this to my/our attention. Signed, on behalf of my father 1922 ~ 2001.

He was in night fighters and spent most of his time protecting the bomber stream. As you may well know, the night fighters were in Fighter Command at first and then moved to Bomber Command, so he was in both. My father was navigator and operator of the radar equipment known as AI and Serrate, firstly in Beaus and them Mossies.

He was lucky and always said that the years since the end of the war were his bonus years that not all of his pals got. He was cross about the lack of the Campaign Medal but angry at the way the memory of Harris was treated. He was always appreciative of the Queen Mother for the way in which she did not forget Bomber Command. He was fortunate to meet her on a couple of occasions when he was involved in work for the Aircrew Association in his retirement years.

With his pilot, he went through four and half years of it and they were lucky. He said that it was also luck that had given him the DFC and two bars. I suspect that there was more to it than that! The squadron with which they were the longest was 141, notably under Bob Braham.

johnfairr
20th Dec 2006, 10:31
PAXboy, check your PMs.

jf