PDA

View Full Version : B747 skidmarks in Sydney

Metroid
9th Dec 2006, 10:07
Does anyone know the full story behind the skidmarks on RWY07/TWY C intersection at Sydney KSA? Apparently happened Saturday morning, Dec.9, when someone decided they absolutely needed to vacate the runway at TWY C. Massive amounts of rubber were left on the runway, looks like the nosegear skidded for about 50 metres or so to make the turn... Interested in any further details if anyone knows.

Agent Mulder
9th Dec 2006, 11:51
Nose gear does not have brakes i.e. impossible for nose gear to leave skid marks.

Groucho
9th Dec 2006, 12:25
...err, how about full tiller at around 60kts - assuming the nosegear remains attached, I reckon you'll leave a drop of rubber:)

18-Wheeler
9th Dec 2006, 12:40
Nose gear does not have brakes i.e. impossible for nose gear to leave skid marks.

So wrong it's not funny.

No really, it's not funny - You can easily leave massive skid marks with the nose wheels. Just crank over the tiller hard at more than about 5kts and the big plane will just keep on going straight ahead, regardless of where the nosewheel is pointing.
Well I imagine so, I've never tried it but I know how nose-heavy they can get at times.

eye_in_the_sky
11th Dec 2006, 01:32
I saw the same skidmarks this morning... someone landed 07, and from between 34L and Bravo on the LHS of the centreline, until way on Charlie there are 2 very distinct rubber tracks...

king oath
11th Dec 2006, 05:33
There would be other "skid marks" only known between the crew and their dry cleaner, after that effort.

Miraz
11th Dec 2006, 05:36
Possibly related to this? - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255756

*Lancer*
11th Dec 2006, 05:43
Not related to that.

How do you know it was a 747?? (it was) :E

Metroid
14th Dec 2006, 14:18
I only 'know' it was a 747 because I asked SMC about it, and the details I gave in the original thread were based on the reply.