PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm not leaving the UK.

lexxity
8th Dec 2006, 15:21
Interesting that the Why you're (did I get it right) leaving thread should appear, We were just talking about last night, with another regular prunner telling me I should emigrate and me saying no.

My reasons are this.

1.) My Family.
2.) My Family home.
3.) The scenery, we are about 20mins from the Peak District. But we have Scotland, Ireland, The West Country, etc on our doorstop.
4.) My job, which I really enjoy.
5.) The history in this country, when you visit somewhere that has a historic church built in 1912 you really appreciate what you have.
6.) The peculiarities of this odd nation. Tea with milk anyone?

and many other reasons.

Yes the taxes are crap and so are much of this governments policies, but overall I love living here. The more I travel, the more I am glad to get back to my little patch of Britain. I am proud of where I am from and proud to stay here.

Why aren't you leaving?

mazzy1026
8th Dec 2006, 15:31
Hi Lexx - good idea to have a thread that shows "the other side of the coin". I agree with some of your points, however, a good job and fantastic scenery are things which I wouldn't miss, as they are achievable elsewhere. However, family and friends are the one's that you can't take with you, thus being the most difficult factor in the decision...

Bus429
8th Dec 2006, 15:41
Although I'm considering ex-patting again, I have learned that the grass is rarely greener; nor is sand any browner. Many of those countries we consider comparative havens have their problems. I think we Brits air our problems quite a bit and often ignore our relative benefits.
Once Tony Tw:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: g Blair is voted out, the better it may get.

gingernut
8th Dec 2006, 15:48
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/DSCN1042.jpg

Cos this is on my doorstep, and it looks just as good in Summer.

And the beer at the bottom tastes pretty good.

Rainboe
8th Dec 2006, 15:53
The climate is crap though, and that is a major factor in people fleeing to the sun. There are other things though, the great betrayal by the politicians of decent medical/dental services to the GBP (Great British Public) and treatment in hospital when we apparently open up our best services and medical treatments to refugees and illegal immigrants whilst denying the best treatment to our old. It's pathetic. The betrayal by the politicians and Judges of upholding the law, the theft by politicians from the public purses to finance their foolish political beliefs- how do they get away with it? The lack of respect for our military. Whilst it is a lovely country, 'abroad' often seems less complicated and run by faceless bureaucrats. Maybe it is a false impression, but it makes people want to get away from this crowd running us, and making such a hash of it!

Whirlygig
8th Dec 2006, 15:54
I think that's what Lexxity meant! Her tongue was so far in her cheek, I could see it from The Broads!

I found New Zealand very strange because of its lack of history; my house was a hundred years older than the whole country (as we know it!!).

Cheers

Whirls

PanPanYourself
8th Dec 2006, 16:14
I just got back from a one week holiday in London. My God what a great place. I had been at least 10 times before, but I was a kid and didn't really appreciate it. Going from where I live in the suburbs of Istanbul, to London is seriously like going from Hell to Heaven. I've been to New York, LA, Paris, etc., but London is just in a league of its own. Its perfect in every way. The underground system is truely a miracle. Going from one side of Istanbul to another, or any other major city for that matter, takes hours, but not in London. People may scoff and say "big deal", but it really makes a huge difference. I spend 4 hours a day in hellish Istanbul traffic, and I swear to God its taking years off my life. The buildings in central london are all magnificent, and the landscape is so green and lush, its beautiful. I love it. I plan on moving there as soon as humanly possible. Thank God for my EU citizenship, I won't get kicked out like they did to me in the states.

FormerFlake
8th Dec 2006, 16:26
Well I left the UK and now get to see views like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/wardy/P5090106.jpg

The EU does have some plus points.

gingernut
8th Dec 2006, 16:30
Nice, but any better than Fistral Beach, Cornwall.

Wyler
8th Dec 2006, 20:58
Cornish Pasties
Bacon Butties
Soaps
North Devon Coast
Yorkshire Moors
BBC News
Lake District
York Minster
Cambridge
Oxford
Full Fry
Bonfire Night
Different Weather every day:D :ok:
Springer Spaniels (especially mine)
Walks in the woods
Traffic Wardens
The WI
Carol Singing
Christmas starting in Oct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Easter Egg hunts
Parent Evenings
Fish & Chips
Seaside
Blackpool
The West End
Farmers markets
Crap service in average restaurants
The High Street
The Postman
Conkers
Scrumping Apples
Cider
Real Ale
A nice cup of tea
Panto
Only Fools & Horses
The Fast Show
Midsomer Murders
Dalziel & Pascoe
Sunday Lunch
Pub Food
Castles
Palaces
Tea Rooms
Snobbery
Picking Mushrooms
Pheasants
Walks by the River
The Norfolk Broads
Standing in Line
Garden Centres
Coffee Mornings
Roasted Chestnuts
Street Theatre in Covent Garden
Dartmoor
Exmoor
Our inability to cope with snow
Coppers
Gobby Teenagers
The morning Dew
Dark at 3.00pm
Light at 11.00pm
Manchester
Liverpool Catholic cathedral
Clotted Cream
Sticks of Rock
End of Pier shows
Gt Yarmouth
The Yorkshire Dales
Lancashire Hotpot
Dumplings
Scones

Yep, think I'll stay.

Unwell_Raptor
8th Dec 2006, 21:36
Well I'm staying for the above reasons and many more too. Those of us who live in the Thames Valley really do have it all.

Those who wish to move, may do so, and leave just a tad more room for me and mine.

TheDesertFerret
9th Dec 2006, 00:14
Un-armed policemen. Not even liberal Holland can't boast that.

Self-awareness and ability to ridicule ourselves puts us way ahead of other English speaking nations.

Brown sauce.

Glamgirl
9th Dec 2006, 00:31
The main reason I'm staying is that I couldn't do my job otherwise...

I'd like to move somewhere else at some point (UK is my 2nd home country, for the last decade or so), but I haven't quite decided where to go yet. Found an island far far away called Friendly Island, maybe I'll go there, but will have to find out if there's any cannibals there still...:bored:

TURIN
9th Dec 2006, 01:16
Why am I staying?

Because I can, and I am free to leave whenever I want.

Wipeout
9th Dec 2006, 09:06
'Cos I've got no-where else to go :{

BenThere
9th Dec 2006, 14:14
Heritage and rich culture, as testified above, are what make Great Britain a premier nation.

There is some question as to whether the current and coming generations will choose to hang on to it. I'm hoping they do, but I'm worried they won't.

Garfs
9th Dec 2006, 14:19
This is compared to countries I have lived in the Far East.

If I take into account what I would be earning there (on a locals wage not expat wages), it is so much more expensive to live out there than it is here in the UK.

It would all be well and good if I was earning and living out there but it wouldnt normally be the case unless of course I worked for the righ people.

An IT consultant in Malaysia for example may get 400 a month average, Then theres the price of cars in the far east. Ford Focus, 20,000, Range Rover, around 124,000, you get the picture.

Having lived in both I find it way cheaper here once I take into account earnings etc

brain fade
9th Dec 2006, 14:37
Because I come from here.

This is my home, my native land..........etc etc:ok:

lexxity
9th Dec 2006, 19:46
Thanks for including Manchester in your list Wyler.:O

It really is a fab city now, the bomb was the best thing that ever happened to us.

I'm also adding Liverpool water front and dark sense of humor to the list.

TheDesertFerret
10th Dec 2006, 00:39
We're f**ing brilliant. Aussies bang on about how they travel all over the world and are found everywhere etc etc.

Bo**ocks.

WE did it all 500 years ago before cheap round the world tickets existed.

And we're still doing it - we are everywhere - and (apart from me now) we just don't mouth off about it.

Apart from anti social teenagers Britain is great. Shut up moaning and if you don't like it then sod off.

brickhistory
10th Dec 2006, 00:43
Shut up moaning and if you don't like it then sod off.

Sure you're not American? :}

TheDesertFerret
10th Dec 2006, 00:49
'fraid not brickhistory - qual. place over your side but beer not good enough. (Though I quite like your Bourbon).

flower
10th Dec 2006, 09:58
The only thing that holds me to the UK is my family.
I have lived abroad before and each country has plenty to offer, whilst this country has less and less to make me stay.

TheDesertFerret
10th Dec 2006, 10:11
If one reads English (or British) chroniclers be it Peyps, Bede, Dickens, More or whomsoever - the contemporary perspective has always been "England/Britain" is going to the dogs.

If they were right - we've been in decline for 1,000 years following the Dark Ages (which undisputably was a decline! - thats a bit Blackadderish - a fate worse than a fate worse than death).

After 1,000 years of decline we're still one of the richest countries on earth.

I suspect that oxymoronic "fact" reveals all. The problem is with the Brit-bashers and not the country (which ain't perfect but where is?).

As my old rugby manager used to say "If you don't like it, f*** off".

Choxolate
10th Dec 2006, 10:18
Because if you are born English then you have won the lottery of life. We're simply the best.;)

slim_slag
10th Dec 2006, 11:20
The problem with the UK is that it's becoming more like the US but without the space to get away from it all. Also the tax on Avgas gets spent on providing legal aid to economic refugees when it should be spent on a properly resourced ATC service. Apart from that, people should get a backpack on and travel the world and see how lucky we all are.

CargoMatatu
10th Dec 2006, 20:45
Un-armed policemen.

Aaah! So that's why everyone feels so much safer ELSEWHERE:D

TheDesertFerret
10th Dec 2006, 23:25
When regular bobbies are armed in the UK that will be a real Rubicon moment that would deeply depress me.

I haven't lost faith yet.

Nothing goes backwards forever - good times follow bad times. Who knows one day nobody will have guns democratic societies?