PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was a strange experience.

Loose rivets
8th Dec 2006, 07:37
A pal of many years gave the Rivetess a couple of DVDs to bring back to me. They were from a substantial collection of his home movies from the 50s on. I was in several of them, as we hung out together in our early years, but all sorts of other faces popped onto the screen. (PAL player into NTSC )The big screen and copying was quite good and some of the life-sized heads were quite a shock after 45 years.

I was er, close:E to a few of the girls and it was extraordinary to see them as they were. I'm still friends with some to this day and it gave a strange feeling to go back in time. Was I ever that slim?

Has anyone else had a surprise glimpse into their past?

Buster Hyman
8th Dec 2006, 07:46
Movies from the 50's? Man, you must've been rich or sumfink!

tony draper
8th Dec 2006, 09:26
Old home movies showing life here in the forties fifties are much in demand,been a few progs featuring them one was called The Way We were, facinating prog.
Concidering what a lawless sh!t hole this country has become since, hardly supprising notalgia is the only thing we have to look forward too.
:rolleyes:

GANNET FAN
8th Dec 2006, 09:29
Old photos show me as slim, devastatingly good looking.........fast forward...don't know what happened but all the mirrors in the house are turned inwards

Loose rivets
8th Dec 2006, 18:28
Movies from the 50's? Man, you must've been rich or sumfink!

Not me I'm afraid. My pal was the son of a local entrepreneur who opened two caravan sites, one having shops, cafe, dance hall, bars etc....before the days of foreign holidays; they made a fortune. His house was the first place that I went to where the carpets reached the walls.

It was strange seeing me at 12 stone, hamming it up with the lads. Just for a second, I saw my 57 Oldsmobile 88 parked outside the local church. I'm going to snap it off the screen to get a still pic, cos it's the only image I have of that £176 monster. I drove it around with Washington plates for two years. Just don't know how I got away with it.

As Tony says

Old home movies showing life here in the forties fifties are much in demand,been a few progs featuring them one was called The Way We were, facinating prog.
Concidering what a lawless sh!t hole this country has become since, hardly supprising notalgia is the only thing we have to look forward too.

I wondered if I imagined how uncrowded England was in ‘my' day. But a while back I saw a clip of Burt Bacarach SP? cruising round Lester Square in a huge convertible on a lovely sunny day....yep, just as I remembered it. About twenty cars round the whole square. Parking wasn't a free lunch, but there was always somewhere to shove a car...even if you had to give in and part with a tanner for the meter. (2.5 new pence.)

The thing that's hard to realize is that the majority of folk out and about now have no concept of what it was like then. Just 40 years have seen the country transformed. For transformed, read bu$$ered.

G-CPTN
8th Dec 2006, 19:09
Indeed! In the late 60s I arranged to meet friends from Oop Norf when they travelled down to the Smoke. 'Piccadilly Circus' says I (and I drove there and parked in the end of Glasshouse Street before joining them for the evening).
The twist to the story is that when I eventually left them to return to their hotel, I continued along Glasshouse Street, only to be met by two foot-patrolling Bobbies. "You're lost, Sir, aren't you?" "How did you know?" "You're driving down a one-way street the wrong way." "Oh!" "And to have got this far you've been driving down SEVERAL one-way streets." "But I didn't see any signs." "No, Sir, once you've passed the first one at the entrance to Glasshouse Street off Piccadilly we don't consider it necessary." "Oh! Should I go back?" "No need, Sir. We'll pretend we haven't seen you. Goodnight!"

Cornish Jack
8th Dec 2006, 20:41
G-CPTN
Quite right - time was that the Plods actually used discretion in their dealings with us.
In Yorkshire in the late 50s, a friend took his wife and his sister-in-law to the cinema in Harrogate. With two ladies in the company, unsurprisingly, they were running late!!:uhoh: Short of time, before the performance started, he parked (unknowingly) in a one-way street, facing the wrong way. After the show, returning to the car, he found he had a puncture and realised the parking error. Halfway through the wheel change he became aware of a pair of black size 12s arriving alongside him. Size 12s owner - "'evening Sir, we have just backed in here to change the wheel, haven't we?" Friend, with much relief, was about to agree when his sis-in-law leaned out and loudly said, "Oh no, officer, we've just been to the cinema!!" :ugh: Size 12s man looks at her long and hard then turns back to friend and in best Yorkshire says, "Tha wants to get rid of 'er, tha knows!" and departs in appropriate 50s mode Plod patrol fashion. OK, so we didn't have all the things which are so easily available today, but we did have decent nice people, for the most part.
How lucky we were.:D

Keef
8th Dec 2006, 22:32
I don't know if policemen are allowed that sort of latitude these days. Two from the early 60s:

In my student days, I met a policeman and a traffic warden while driving through Leicester. Traffic Warden: "Did you know you're in a one-way street, sir?" me: "No, officer, sorry." Policeman: "No problem, sir, you're only going one way anyway. Turn left at the next junction and that'll bring you out onto the main road."

A message passed to me by a village publican when we went out for our regular meal there - "If the village policeman sees you many more times riding that motor scooter without L-plates, he might stop you and ask your passenger for his licence."

That publican always closed and locked the front door dead on closing time. The back door stayed open till we were ready to go for some sleep.

I went back to that village pub for the first time in about 40 years last September. I recognised the outside, but the inside was all trendy, very high-class (and expensive) food. Good, but not the same. I dug out all my old photos when I got home, and had a good nostalge!

The late XV105
8th Dec 2006, 22:49
My last encounter with a policeman was nearly seven years ago, in Vienna, driving from Aylesbury, UK, to Krnov, Czech Republic.

Short of time to a railway station rendezvous and not sure whether we were on the right road out of the city to Mikulov on the Czech border, I reversed in to a one way street out of frustration to ask a policeman I'd spotted. The policeman didn't bat an eye to the driving infringement and asked me for my map of Vienna.

Diving in to the driver's door pocket I produced my map.

Of Europe, with Vienna as a black dot. :)

The look on his face was priceless, but in fact, we were on exactly the right road.

Loose rivets
9th Dec 2006, 02:17
One's beloved used to work in Jermyn sp? St. just orf Piccadilly. I backed into a space just as another bloke forwarded into it. We drew a small crowd cos of our snarling. A bobby walks up and takes out two bob.....er, two shillings. "Heads or tails" he says to me. "Tails!"

I lost.

henry crun
9th Dec 2006, 02:34
One from a long time ago.

I was the passenger in a car leaving Chichester well after lighting up time.
We came to the Market Cross and the policemen on point duty put his hand up to stop us, and then started to walk towards us.

My friend the driver asked "what have we done wrong ?"; then, realising he hadn't switched the lights on, did so just before the law reached us.

The policemen grinned, looked down at us and said "That's right zur, the law does say you gotta ave them, and I suppose we had better humour it".

With that he sauntered back to his post and waved us through.

G-CPTN
9th Dec 2006, 03:36
Driving a UK-registered Metro from Denmark to Lecce, Italy, got snarled-up in city traffic in a narrow side street looking for our Hotel. Source of traffic snarl-up was an 'incident' involving arguing Italians and a 'Polizei' (Carabinari?) Alfa Romeo. As we reached the melee I asked the (disinterested) Police Official (it was his colleague who was arguing) for directions to the hotel. He interrupted the argument and we were lead with blues and twos directly to the hotel through parting congested traffic. Can't remember how much that cost us - I left the finances to my Danish colleague. I do recall that it was mid to late December, probably 1984.

storl tern
9th Dec 2006, 05:03
I'd been up to Stratford on Avon to see a mate and his wife just before I left for Australia and was motoring back to Oxfordshire along the A34 having had a good meal, wine and the odd G & T. I had forgotten to tax the car (it was about 2 days out of currency) and was belting along in a 30mph zone at about 2245.

I had to stop at the lights with the junction with the A429 (roundabout nowadays) when a police car slid into position beside me. I studiously avoided looking in his direction and when the lights changed I cautiously moved over the junction.

At this point the flashing blues came on and I pulled over. Mr Plod gets out and comes over to the window.

"Do you know what speed you were doing back there Sir?" asks Mr Plod.

"Herrumph. I was probably going over the limit officer," says I fearing the worst - breathalysed, done for tax, done for speeding etc etc.

"You were a bit Sir. Do you have any identification?"

After I showed him my RAF ID card he then said,

"Be a bit more careful in future sir, there's lots of drunks about on the road at this time of night"

Phew!!!

frostbite
9th Dec 2006, 13:06
All too many years ago I was parked up in a quiet car park enjoying some fun with my girlfriend.

On leaving, I reached the single lane exit just as a car turned in from the main road. Thinking it would be better for me to reverse than make him do so onto a main road, I put my small van into reverse and proceeded rapidly backwards until, BANG!

Thinking I had encountered an unseen post, I jumped out to discover a motorcycle cop sat on the petrol tank of his bike with his helmet tipped forward over his face!

Don't know if it still applies, but they then had a policy of non-prosecution where their own vehicles were involved and I heard no more.

reynoldsno1
10th Dec 2006, 20:40
With my brother in the UK many moons ago - he had one of the 1st TVR Tuscans and had been showing me its performance envelope in the pouring rain, soemwhere near Bristol.
The flashing blue lights appeared, and we pulled over. The plod appeared at the drivers window, which was lowered enough for conversation, but not enough to fill the car with water - it was raining VERY hard by now. "Sorry to have to stop you, sir, but there seems to be something hanging down underneath your car." Brother assures officer everything seems to be OK. "I wouldn't want you to have a problem later on, sir, I really think you should check it"....
Brother gets out, and checks underneath the car on all fours, and returns to car, soaking wet. Tells patient plod that eveything seems OK. "Ah, I see sir, I guess it must have been your foot. Drive carefully now...."