PDA

View Full Version : "Black as a witches Tit"

mutleyfour
7th Dec 2006, 10:48
Any ideas where this saying came from? :confused:

airborne_artist
7th Dec 2006, 11:00
Medieval witches were often accused of having a third nipple, but where the colour black come in :confused:

BOAC
7th Dec 2006, 11:02
...........have you ever seen a witch's tit?:)

Aeronut
7th Dec 2006, 11:07
I think you will find that the term is "as slack as a witches tit"

The origin of which lies chiefly from the fact that the breasts of medieval women known to practice sorcery were renowned for their sagginess. See also "roof tilers nailbags"

mutleyfour
7th Dec 2006, 11:09
Interesting Aeronut, I only ask as I regularly hear it mentioned in the crew room. Crews regularly talk about a bad FLIR night as being Black as a witches Tit. I assume there are other variants to the theme as a google search indicates as cold as a witches tit also.

GPMG
7th Dec 2006, 11:17
Ahhhhh, another Aeronut wind up....cheers.

Black as a witches tit

Is from the belief that anyone with a third nipple or other kind of difference must be in league with Lucifer (Ive got one and I don't even know his email address).

Witches are supposed to be black hearted and evil.

But what about.
'Dim as a Toc-H lamp'

Chicken Leg
7th Dec 2006, 11:21
It originated from Cockney Slang:

Black as a witches tit for tat (hat).

r supwoods
7th Dec 2006, 11:31
The countryside north of Wyton is ... "As flat as a witches tit" ... does this count?

dodgysootie
7th Dec 2006, 11:36
I expect anyones Tits would be black after being burnt alive. " Lorks alordy, my bottoms on fire!!" Joan of Arc.

philrigger
7th Dec 2006, 12:14
But what about.
'Dim as a Toc-H lamp'[/QUOTE]

See: www.greatwar.co.uk/westfront/ypsalient/toch/toch

A Toc-H lamp was reputedly not very bright.

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

GANNET FAN
7th Dec 2006, 12:26
Hang on a minute, I have always used "flatter" than a witch's tit, having picked this up from FAA pilots. Haven't seen either a flat or black one but flatter makes more sense, that's if you want to be derogatory

rogerk
7th Dec 2006, 12:27
colder than a witch's tit Very cold, when applied to the weather, or air temperature.

Old Sioux days in Germany with bugger all heating !

But if you want the "full monty" try this link !!

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/c.htm

:ok:

gar170
7th Dec 2006, 12:33
...........have you ever seen a witch's tit?:)
No but i have worked with a few.

MikeTells
7th Dec 2006, 14:25
On the K Model Hercules, the turbine scavenge pump can be seen by looking up the jet pipe from the rear. It is conical and blackened with soot and was thus known as the witches tit.

hobie
7th Dec 2006, 15:20
it's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra face down in a snow bank

how did I go through life not knowing that saying ..... :p

bootscooter
7th Dec 2006, 16:09
I always thought the term was "as cold as a witches tit!"

Lafyar Cokov
7th Dec 2006, 16:26
I've always wondered about the expression: "I'll be all over you like a nun sandwich"

Lon More
7th Dec 2006, 16:53
I understand the B17 was quite draughty, especially after taking a few hits
http://www.303rdbg.com/gc-witchestit2.jpg

Aeronut
7th Dec 2006, 21:47
Great pic Lon,

I think the witch nose art adds weight to my argument - GPMG, look at em - hanging down like roof tilers nailbags.

QED

threepointonefour
7th Dec 2006, 22:23
" ... a witches tit "

I once saw one back in '91 during the MAIT phase of the F3 OCU ... the late Guy Woods used to wax lyrical about this mythical 180 x 8/5/4 stern intercept phenomenon. The 'nipple occurred at the 90 to go stage! And it was black.

teeteringhead
8th Dec 2006, 08:01
Only ever heard the "cold as ...." variety myself. If I ever thought about it, I guess it's down to chill factor on broom sticks.

Don't think it could be from "tit for tat"=hat though Chicken Leg. As a fully paid up gor-blimey-luvva-duck-Landaner I've only ever heard "titfer" as a abbreviation rather than "tit".....

Zoom
8th Dec 2006, 12:14
I first heard the expression when Peter Cook and Dudley Moor used it in one of their great sketches of the mid-60s. Can't remember the context. " 'It was as black as a witches' tit, your honour,' I said", or somesuch.

Wensleydale
8th Dec 2006, 18:23
"Cold as a witch's tit".
"Black as a witch's cat".

:O

Red Snow
8th Dec 2006, 23:09
I'm with you on this one, Wensleydale.

Except that more modern interpretations of the "Black as..." phrase often replace 'cat' with a FOUR-letter word that also begins with 'c' and ends in 't'.

I've heard an old-school professional photographer refer to 'WC' conditions (i.e. 'Black as a ...')

Glass Half Empty
8th Dec 2006, 23:15
Got to be Jurby Range at the dead of night upside down doing some silly loft attack in a howling gale while pis#ing with rain. Very black and definately tits up if you did not recover - not sure where the witch came in but.............

Neptunus Rex
9th Dec 2006, 06:12
"Black as a Vampire's Ar*ehole"
Seems to be fairly accurate, like many Australian expressions.
:cool:
Neppie

Tim Mills
9th Dec 2006, 11:53
Hooray,a chance to get off PPRunes 'not trying' list!

I've always thought of it as 'cold as....' But another I heard way back in the dark ages when doing the CFS course wasfrom our USAF squadron commander, who referred to an icy runway as 'slippery as owl sh*t'. Never heard it used before or since! Anyone else?

mutleyfour
9th Dec 2006, 14:19
I've always thought of it as 'cold as....' But another I heard way back in the dark ages when doing the CFS course wasfrom our USAF squadron commander, who referred to an icy runway as 'slippery as owl sh*t'. Never heard it used before or since! Anyone else?

Never heard that one before but I love it, just adding it into my long term memory for use later!:} :}

moggiee
10th Dec 2006, 20:30
" ... a witches tit "

I once saw one back in '91 during the MAIT phase of the F3 OCU ... the late Guy Woods used to wax lyrical about this mythical 180 x 8/5/4 stern intercept phenomenon. The 'nipple occurred at the 90 to go stage! And it was black.
It was never black - it was green on the F3 TVTABs.

"Flat as a witches tit" is the phrase I know well.

"Black as a .............. arsehole" - the missing word can not be used in the traditional saying for fear of having Trevor Philips and the whole of the CRE landing on my head!

threepointonefour
10th Dec 2006, 21:15
It was never black - it was green on the F3 TVTABs.

I think you'll find that the t!t was black, but the outline (if it actually stayed on screen), was green. Or maybe I've forgotten over time ...

Lou Scannon
10th Dec 2006, 22:14
I prefer:

"Dark?....it was like half a yard up a bears bottom!".

PPRuNeUser0139
10th Dec 2006, 22:52
I heard a good ol' boy USAF Lt Col up in Keflavik describe the runway as "slicker than owlsh1t"..
I never had an opportunity to use it myself though subsequently...
sv

Missed Me!
11th Dec 2006, 12:56
Definitely Mixed Metaphors...
Black as Pitch.
As Cold as a Witches Tit.

(as for a Witches tit being cold, no one was ever going to get the warmth of the - "Milk of human kindness" - from a witches tit.)

I rest my case.

Tim Mills
12th Dec 2006, 03:55
Thanks sidevalve. I've always thought it was probably an American expression, and your version is certainly better. I really only remember the reference to owl, excrement and slippery, and since I only flew with the chap once, in November 1957, have a bit of an excuse for not quite getting it right!

I would imagine there would be more occasion to use it at Keflavik, and now and again at Little Rissington, than in this neck of the woods just now!

Arthur Rowe
12th Dec 2006, 16:13
An old (Irish) instructor of mine used to comment after a particularly smooth landing (his) 'as smooth as a cat p1ssing on glass'. Never heard it before or since.

I like the way Google is advertising witches hats on this thread - no tits available?

MiG Eater
12th Dec 2006, 16:41
There is also the witches tit which often refers to the nozzle/diffuser at the rear of the final turbine [see image]

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/propulsion/jet/turbojet.jpg

Taken from Aerospaceweb.