PDA

View Full Version : Yyz ~ Nyc??

PAXboy
7th Dec 2006, 04:28
This question could have gone to Airports, Airlines & Routes but as this is my regular port of call, I thought I would ask here first ...

I need to find a cheap routing for a friend from Toronto to New York City, so that we can meet up in the city in early January. That is not a route I have ever done and she may also want to make the route circular, going on to Baltimore (Maryland) before returning to Canada. My guess is that there are two simple options: A three-sector ticket with one carrier or three singles and the mid sector could easily be on the train to Baltimore.

Any suggestions as to which option is going to be cheapest and suggested carriers? In this matter cost is all important - better to spend money on seeing a show in NYC than on the ticket to get there. And, YES, I do know that seeing a show in NYC will cost as much as crossing the Pond. :ooh:

We are not planning on doing shopping, it is the City itself. Thanks folks. :)

Cyrano
7th Dec 2006, 09:33
You may want to visit the ITA Software site (obvious URL :) ) and use their QPX tool. It's quite complex but very powerful - you can say, for example, "I want to fly from YYZ to NYC on date X, then on to BWI on date Y, then back to YYZ on date Z, and I'd prefer to fly with AA and not to fly through ORD" and so on. It won't book the ticket but will give you a detailed itinerary with fare codes that you can get a travel agent to book.

C.

Middle Seat
7th Dec 2006, 14:56
With taxes on Canadian air travel, it'll be a pricey endeavour for sure, but if you've the time or inclination, consider taking the train (is that heresy on this board?) from New York to Baltimore. Check the Amtrak page for the Metroliner or Acela (high speed) service. Into and out of city centers.

...its just an option.

ACL1011
7th Dec 2006, 15:30
I know people who will drive to Buffalo and take a flight from there to save $$. Not sure on the price differential as I have never booked a personal flight to NYC.

Some South American airlines have good deals on the hop from Pearson to JFK, where they proceed to pick up more passengers for the main attraction.

manintheback
7th Dec 2006, 15:42
Lot of aggravation not to mention time driving from Toronto to Buffalo - 2 - 3 hours and the gamble on whats going to happen at the border. Personally I would just get the shuttle down to La Guardia from Pearson and train the Baltimore bit

PAXboy
7th Dec 2006, 20:37
Well, driving from YYZ to another take off point is not an option and the flight costs are cetainly not trivial. The basic Delta YYZ~LGA~YYZ is US$245.

I think that the train would certainly be used for the US sector. I have been trying to find the web site for Pearson (YYZ) to look at all the carriers but cannot find it. Any links?

Tahnks again [where is the smiley for 'blowing a kiss'? :p ]

ACL1011
7th Dec 2006, 21:53
Yeah, I forget I live halfway between the Big City and the border, so it's common for people round here to drive to Buffalo.

And here is a link to a list of Pearson's carriers:

http://www.gtaa.com/Index.aspx?Sid=Node2/Node2.1/Node2.1.2&Tpl=1

rugmuncher
7th Dec 2006, 22:12
10 bucks on the 407 ETR, follow the QEW along to the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge and then down to buffalo,
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/compass/camera/gcs/camhome.htm

If the roads are OK follow the QEW all the way down to Fort Erie and cross into Buff from there, the price difference is quite substantial compared to flying from YYZ.

:ok:

PAXboy
7th Dec 2006, 22:41
Many thanks ACL1011 looking into YYZ listings.

rugmuncher (Good name!) Thanks but driving is not an option. Train? Yes, I know that YYZ is on t'other side of a puddle (vs the Pond ;) ) but they might have steel roads??

ACL1011
8th Dec 2006, 15:26
Wow, it really is a lot cheaper to fly from Buffalo - I did a little search as I am considering taking my husband to NYC once he gets his visa sorted and he can leave the country ;) I arbitrarily chose Jan 15-22 on expedia.com and it was $250 US from Toronto and $142 from Buffalo. The train was $42 US. However, you need to factor in the cost of the cab from the Buffalo train station to airport (no idea how far they are since I've never been to Buffalo) and the worth of 2 hours of your time spent on the train.

Here is the Amtrak site:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

Cheers!

seacue
10th Dec 2006, 10:11
Compare AMTRAK regular and Acela journey times from NYC to BAL. You might not feel that the 20 to 30 minutes saved on the Acela is worth the extra price.

PAXboy
10th Dec 2006, 14:46
Most interesting, the info and links are appreciated.

If one has taken the Choo-Choo from YYZ to Buffalo ... why not all the way to NYC? Is there a direct train service between the two, or even a simple change? It may be cheaper than plane and save the txfer at Buffalo between modes. Also, weather permitting, there could be sight seeing along the way. Will check Amtrak shortly.

manintheback
10th Dec 2006, 17:05
There certainly used to be a service but not direct. Change at Niagara and it took around 12 hours. Not the most riveting of countryside to look at either.

PAXboy
10th Dec 2006, 22:12
mitb You ain't wrong about the time!! Amtrak state that it's 10 hours (avg) just from the Falls to Penn station. Only $150 but the time factor really is high.

Back to flight timetables...