PDA

View Full Version : Drinking, driving and other cognitive skills.

Loose rivets
7th Dec 2006, 01:29
It now seems that it is better to carry on drinking to a time just before driving, than to stop for a period before setting off home. You are more likely to be able to drive than if you had stopped half an hour before for example.

I stress that I still believe in zero alcohol before driving, cos of the ‘persuade yourself it's okay syndrome'.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
7th Dec 2006, 01:56
That's an odd post. Have you been drinking?

Airbus38
7th Dec 2006, 02:55
On a similar note...

If you have a few drinks, enough to put you a fair amount over the limit, but then you slow your drinking to 1 unit per hour or less.....can you drink yourself sober? Seems possible.

MyData
7th Dec 2006, 07:54
If you have a few drinks, enough to put you a fair amount over the limit, but then you slow your drinking to 1 unit per hour or less.....can you drink yourself sober? Seems possible.

Yes. Conclusive studies in the late 1980s, with extensive research by self and fellow students in Newcastle found that drinking the v. cheap, but low strength lager (regular Kestrel IIRC) we would effectively remain sober.

You couldn't drink the stuff fast enough to get any alcohol effect. We would have been better off drinking water from the taps.

Grainger
7th Dec 2006, 08:18
Plus you'd be too busy running to the bog to actually get in the car and drive . . . :yuk:

VFE
7th Dec 2006, 09:51
Might be worth mentioning at this point, seeing as it's coming up for Christmas, if you are driving, please, don't forget your car.

VFE.

G-CPTN
7th Dec 2006, 10:04
If you MUST drink and drive use a bottle. In fact use TWO bottles to allow you to continue drinking when otherwise you'd have to stop for a leak.
You know it makes sense.

terryJones
7th Dec 2006, 12:27
DON'T Drink and drive, you tend to spill most of it...

gingernut
7th Dec 2006, 13:42
Drink and Drive if you want to...nothing wosre than being in smash sober.

Bernard Manning, Circa 1981

An old Student trick taught to me by my lecturer in pharmacology- take half an aspirin prior to drinking, it stops the liver excreting alcohol as fast- a word of warning- said lecturer went on to develop liver disease.

moosp
7th Dec 2006, 16:28
There's a thirty foot high placard on a building in a city near here that says "Drink Don't Drive"

I'm not sure what they are advertising, but the way I read it they certainly want you to have a few, and perhaps take public transport for the environment.

Remember a line from Ghostbusters? I LOVE THIS TOWN

SLFguy
7th Dec 2006, 17:04
Might be worth mentioning at this point, seeing as it's coming up for Christmas, if you are driving, please, don't forget your car.
VFE.

OK as we're doing the Christmas slogan thing...

As they say in Korea..

"Remember, a dog is for Christmas not for life.."

VFE
7th Dec 2006, 17:32
And drinking is for life, not just for Christmas! :}

VFE.

BigEndBob
7th Dec 2006, 20:00
Apparently 20% of road accidents are caused by drink drivers.

The other 80% were sober......so whats their excuse?

PanPanYourself
7th Dec 2006, 20:19
Apparently 20% of road accidents are caused by drink drivers.

The way I see it, despite the number of drink drivers being a small fraction of total drivers on the roads, they still manage to account for 20% of accidents. So, I figure if we increase the number of drink drivers to around 20% of total drivers then the problem is solved. What if they're already at 20%, and they're just doing their fair share of crashing?

You know it makes sense! :D

I will now put on my coat and be on my way