PDA

View Full Version : has anyone else seen this?

Fun Police
6th Dec 2006, 23:24
BRITISH NATIONAL LOTTERY HEADQUARTERS:
28 TAN FIELD ROAD,
CROYDON, LONDON.
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Ref: UK/9420X2/68
Batch: 074/05/ZY36

Dear Winner,
We happily announce to you the results of draw of the UK NATIONAL LOTTERY,
Online Sweepstakes International program held on 2ND DECEMBER,2006.
It is yet to be claimed and you are getting the FINAL NOTIFICATION as regards
this.
You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of 753,437.00
in cash credited to file KTU/9023118308/03.
CONTACT FIDUCIARY AGENT:MR.Glen Michael
EMAIL:[email protected]
Tel: +44 703 191 2047 or +44 703 195 5133
Yours Truly,
Sir.Steven Smith.
Co-Coordinator (Online Promo Programme).

this seems like it is too good to be true right?

matt_hooks
6th Dec 2006, 23:30
Depends, did you buy a ticket? Cos they sure as hell don't give them away free!

If you did buy a ticket then it might be worth contacting em, but be sensible. No bank details, all the usual stuff.

<edit> On second thoughts, why would anyone from the lottery be using a Yahoo account?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
6th Dec 2006, 23:47
Are you really that stupid?

:}

allan907
6th Dec 2006, 23:53
The dead giveaway is the use of the Nigerian word FIDUCIARY

Nobody, but nobody uses that word in normal correspondence.

ZFT
6th Dec 2006, 23:59
Are you really that stupid?

:}

That's nice

Fun Police
7th Dec 2006, 00:00
:rolleyes: . yeah, well. i s'pose i should have expected that but at least i wasn't dumb enough to fall hook, line and sinker. keep looking down your noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooose at me if you like. :\

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
7th Dec 2006, 00:09
There was a ======> :} at the end to negate any offence ;)

Fun Police
7th Dec 2006, 00:13
no worries, i knew i was taking my life in my hands when i posted it here.
cheers
:)

AcroChik
7th Dec 2006, 00:17
It's a numbers game. Someone's gonna bite. Reminds me of a game that could go like this:

Let's suppose you want people to send you money. How would you get them to do it? Convince them you know how to make one dollar into two.

Mail 10,000 promotional packets claiming XYZ stock or index is going to go up (or down). You've got a 50% chance of being right.

Send a follow-up to the 5,000 targets who got the right answer. Again 50% chance of being right.

Send a follow-up to the 2,500 targets who got the right answer. Again 50% chance of being right.

Do this once a month for a year, you're down to two people who got your 12 amazingly correct prognostications about the market.

I bet you'd collect about a million bucks along the way from greedy (and dumb) suckers.

Loose rivets
7th Dec 2006, 01:22
There was a bloke in Norf London who was one of the pubbing crowd in the 60s. He showed us hundreds of piles of carbon paper in his house...a truck load. The scame went something like this.

You send a big company a pile of the c-paper and wait for a week. You then send them a perfectly reasonable invoice. It seems that almost always they took the bait.

He had a Jag XK150S. Ah well.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
7th Dec 2006, 02:02
When I worked in New York in the early eighties, there was a similar scam, but it involved toner cartridges. :=

G-CPTN
7th Dec 2006, 02:15
There was a bloke in Norf London who was one of the pubbing crowd in the 60s. He showed us hundreds of piles of carbon paper in his house...a truck load. The scame went something like this.
You send a big company a pile of the c-paper and wait for a week. You then send them a perfectly reasonable invoice. It seems that almost always they took the bait.
He had a Jag XK150S. Ah well.
A competent accounts department (run by an accountant!) would obviate these scams (another was invoicing for entries in trade directories). A company that I worked for (run by an accountant!) wouldn't accept any delivery of goods without a company order number. Likewise, invoices would only be approved against a validated company order number.
Sorted!

(Though I suspect that SOME companies may operate 'out of control'.)

Spinflight
7th Dec 2006, 03:39
You don't even have to deliver anything to them. Just invoice a large company for a small amount due to work completed and they'll often pay, so I hear.

G-CPTN
7th Dec 2006, 04:15
Times must have changed. One small supplier (of 5-star petrol for our Wankel-engined prototypes) went out of business waiting for payments 'postponed' by several months from a very large UK division of a VERY large International consortium. Our usage was a significant proportion of his turnover (we were running 24 hours and they were THIRSTY). What promised to MAKE him actually broke him. What was worse for me is that I had set-up the arrangement which saved us installing new underground tanks for what turned-out to be a relatively short-termed project that lasted about a year. Britain's most prestigious car maker abandoned the idea due to poor reliability.

Whirlygig
7th Dec 2006, 09:14
On second thoughts, why would anyone from the lottery be using a Yahoo account?
...and mobile phone numbers!

Cheers

Whirls

Gordon17
7th Dec 2006, 09:20
I remember hearing about the carbon paper scam from an old boss of mine who actually gave evidence when the guy was prosecuted and imprisoned.

It wasn't that great a scam as presumably he had to buy the carbon paper in the first place - the ones where you don't actually supply any goods or services are better.

I used to get that lottery email every now and then but haven't seen it for a while. There are lots of give aways as to why it is false if you read it carefully and think about it.

panda-k-bear
7th Dec 2006, 11:29
Here's a wheeze (it'll cost a fe pence but hey, never mind). Go to a phone box. Call the number in the e-mail.

Then try to sell him some double glazing.

Whirlygig
7th Dec 2006, 12:08
http://www.data-wales.co.uk/nigerian_lottery.htm

This might be useful! Seems that Tan Field Rd (Stanfield Road?) Croydon pops up a lot and a lot of "knighted" gentlemen live there too!

Cheers

Whirls

Suppers Ready
7th Dec 2006, 12:54
Don't know if the program was available throughout UK, but Glen Michael was the host of 'Cartoon Cavalcade' a kids program from waaaayyy back.

BillHicksRules
7th Dec 2006, 13:19
Suppers,

I was not going to say that since I felt that no one outside West Central Scotland would get the reference!!

:) :) :)

Cheers

BHR

Suppers Ready
7th Dec 2006, 13:27
BHR

Now we know what he is doing now!!
;)

Impress to inflate
7th Dec 2006, 18:58
Look at the email address, if it was an organization it would have something like [email protected] and not a yahoo address. Also if it was lagit there would be a phone number at local rate or national rate.