PDA

View Full Version : AG aviation

flytoo
6th Dec 2006, 23:11
Hello,

Searching for AG operators in Africa! Where can I find listings of businesses?
What types of aircrafts are they flying?
I have some training on a Piper Pawnee and would like to get a first job in this industry. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks;) ;)

Flytoo

pointer41
13th Dec 2006, 05:59
Don't know too much of the AG business, but one "student" of mine had 26000 crop sprayer hours! Now those are honest, hard-working hours!:)

My suggestion is to search the web and contact just about anybody in aviation at Nelspruit, as I understand they have got some AG related operations there. Alternatively, search for the agricultural communities.

Contract Dog
13th Dec 2006, 06:10
Go the jobs in africa thread and PM SRY, they have an ag plane operating in east africa

flytoo
13th Dec 2006, 06:28
Hello,

thank you for the answers!

Do I need a licence conversion for SA? I hold a FAA CPL/IFR.
Is there a web site with adresses of employers and business for SA, Botswana and other countries in south Africa?
Take care,

Flytoo

francois marais
13th Dec 2006, 06:58
You can try and contact the South African Aerial Applicators Association.
There are a number of big Ag Operators in SA, like Orsmond Aviation, Ag Sprayers etc.

In order to do crop spraying in SA, you will have to get a SA Validation on your FAA ticket. That will mean that you will have to write Air Law and do a check ride with a Designated Examiner. You must also obtain an ag rating, which means that you willl have to satisfy the examiner in your skills of spraying.

You will also have to do an AVCASA course, and register with the Department of Agriculture as a Aerial Applicator in terms of Act 36 of 1947. They will then issue you with a "P" license, and this can only be done on completetion of your AVCASA course.

Crop Spraying in SA have become a difficult business due to high costs and low crop prices.

Most operators also use Turbine equipment, and the market for a PA 25 is very limited due to it's small load carrying capacity.

But no harm in trying. PM me and I'll give you some contacts.

Good luck.