PDA

View Full Version : Is the truth about Iraq now out?

G-CPTN
6th Dec 2006, 16:24
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/06/iraq.study.group/index.html
The Iraq Study Group's report given to President Bush on Wednesday says the United States needs to change its strategy to tackle the "grave and deteriorating" situation in Iraq.
Failure to halt the crisis could bring severe consequences to Iraq, the broader region and the United States,

chuks
6th Dec 2006, 16:44
So we had to get a lot of guys with graduate degrees in Foreign Relations from Georgetown University and pay them a lot of money to state the bl**din' obvious?

Ozzy
6th Dec 2006, 17:03
Download the entire report here (http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/images/12/06/iraq.report.pdf). I would get the troops out of Iraq now and let the Iraqis get on with doing what they've been doing to each other for the past 5000 years.

Ozzy

Capt. Queeg
6th Dec 2006, 17:29
But "you guys" started it, Ozzy, you should really stick around and finish it. Bit rude to go to someone's house, kick the hornet's nest then pi$$ off while they're stinging the occupant.

let the Iraqis get on with doing what they've been doing to each other for the past 5000 years.

I don't know about the last 5000 years, but like it or not, they weren't doing that for the last decade or two, under the regime of Old C***face. Well, apart from the odd meat-hooking or piano-wiring or mass-gassing of a political threat, of course... :rolleyes:

ShyTorque
6th Dec 2006, 18:19
Saddam Hussein said very early on that if he were deposed, a Pandora's box would be opened. Well, he wasn't wrong on that front.

Great shame a certain President thought he knew better....

BenThere
6th Dec 2006, 18:40
Not a total disaster, Lima. Hussein won't be invading Kuwait any time soon, or lobbing generally targeted scuds.

This story still has a ways to go. I saw a credible case made for a Kurdish state in the north and a Shia state in the south, with the Sunnis left to fend for themselves as a reward for their (and Al Qaeda's) insurgency. What do you think?

Ozzy
6th Dec 2006, 18:48
A typical hand-wrinsing comment by one of the pro-war clan. I am not in a "pro-war" clan, whatever that is. As soon as it was Saddam was found, the troops should have been withdrawn. Get in, serve the warrant, get the bad guy, and get out. I don't agree with this "bring democracy" goal of having troops there. The Iraqi's don't seem to want it nor understand it, so again I say, let them get on with arguing and killing each other over who worships God the right way.

Ozzy

Clarence Oveur
6th Dec 2006, 18:58
Not a total disaster.... Hussein won't be invading Kuwait any time soon, or lobbing generally targeted scuds....

I was aware that the arguments for was getting thinner and thinner. But now it's just getting silly.

Fun Police
6th Dec 2006, 21:02
wasn't it silly right form the get-go?

assasin8
6th Dec 2006, 21:14
Bush : "...but, God made me do it !"
:ooh:

VFE
6th Dec 2006, 21:27
A 'can of worms' does not begin to describe the situation in Iraq. I for one do not profess to even have a vague idea of the best way forward but one thing is for certain: it cannot go on the way it is for much longer...

Maybe get the troops out and let the UN do what they can? An apology to all muslims from sh!t-for-brains might not go amiss either, just to reduce the threat of more terrorist attacks over 'ere.

Time to get smart, start licking a little Islamic ass, and become a little more humble on the international front otherwise we're headed for all out catastrophy on our own shores before long.

That's my tuppenceworth which ain't worth much... just like everyone else's really. See, we don't matter, the Iraqi people don't matter, none of us ever have done really when put up against oil. Get used to it.

VFE.

BenThere
6th Dec 2006, 22:01
They had a lot to lose, Lima, as they once held the power and were seeing their dominance eroded. I agree many Sunnis would reasonably see that as not good.

But I would have advised them that supporting a pluralistic democracy, with a constitution committed to power sharing and protection of minorities was their best chance. Instead the insurgents embarked on a program of mass murder, intimidation, and sowing hatred with their atrocities.

Their power is now gone. They are in a fight for survival. And they brought it upon themselves and those who harbored them, and unfortunately, the innocent Sunnis of Iraq.

G-CPTN
6th Dec 2006, 22:38
Sounds emerging from the White House (well from GWB) is that there will be no 'negotiations' with Iran.
When will they ever learn, Oh WHEN will they . . . ever . . . learn . . . ?

matt_hooks
6th Dec 2006, 23:19
Yes, but we do NOT negotiate with terrorists!!!

Even when they are holding guns to our soldiers heads. Lets face it GWB and his cronies are never going to have the gun pointed at their heads, that's for the poor guys in the military who are out there doing their best to follow the f####d up orders!

I say give GWB an M16 and some body armour and see how long HE lasts in an active theatre of combat! He'd wet himself and run away screaming for mummy the first time anyone said boo to him!

I'm not saying I'd do any better, I'd rather not have to find out thanks!

bradfordboy
6th Dec 2006, 23:25
Surprisingly and totally co-incidentally of course the poodle has just landed in Washington. Shown live on Sky News.

G-CPTN
6th Dec 2006, 23:55
I say give GWB an M16 and some body armour and see how long HE lasts in an active theatre of combat! He'd wet himself and run away screaming for mummy the first time anyone said boo to him!

Yet GWB served as a pile-it I believe. He can't be THAT thick (although I believe chimpanzees can be taught some tasks . . . ).

Edited to add:-
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a39ea05224b3e.htm
and say that maybe you have a point, Matt.

ME? I grew-up wanting to follow my grandfather into the Fleet Air Arm (was RNAS during WW1) - until I discovered that it wasn't possible to return HOME each evening.
Wish I'd been braver . . .

oicur12
7th Dec 2006, 01:28
“Saddam Hussein said very early on that if he were deposed, a Pandora's box would be opened. Well, he wasn't wrong on that front.”

He was right with regards to WMD too.

“Yes, but we do NOT negotiate with terrorists!!!”

Actually, the US Government has had a long history of negotiating with terrorists. From Hondura’s to Central Asia, from Saudi Arabia to Pakistan and Afghanistan. The US will engage any bloodthirsty terrorist outfit if it assists with their (generally hidden) agenda of the day.

Capt Claret
7th Dec 2006, 04:47
I believe VFE is on the right track. Further, I believe that the US could stay in Iraq for 100 years and still not resolve the problem, given the feelings their meddling have generated. Sadly, my mob led by little johnny are just as guilty.

IMHO, the coalition of the willing, fools the lot of them, should fund the UN on a proportional basis to take over the peace keeping until a workable system that is acceptable to the majority of Iraqi people (and not neccesarily western democracy) is installed.

Then the Americans, Brits, Australians, and any other coalition partners should withdraw but keep funding the UN until stability is restored.

Gnirren
7th Dec 2006, 09:07
If the US government had spent the amount of money that has thus far gone into the Iraq war on domestic road safety improvement the lives spared at the end of the day would have been far greater, as would have everyday safety for the citizens of the USA. That was the point of going to war wasn't it?

Not to mention that the thousands of soldiers killed would still be alive right now.

Oh, wait. How very unpatriotic of me. Then again, I'm not a US citizen.

PanPanYourself
7th Dec 2006, 12:38
Yes, but we do NOT negotiate with terrorists!!!

Ah I see, thats why nobody debates George W. Bush... :hmm:

damn I'm good

Wyler
8th Dec 2006, 09:15
What a shame such a serious matter has generated such childish responses. America is still the most potent force on this Planet and we, the Brits, are inextricably linked to it's success of failure.
So, when I see the President of the United States of America bumbling through a Press Conference and looking so totally out of his depth over the Iraq report, I am worried, very worried. This is exascerbated when I see our PM stood next to him looking equally foolish. I believe Bush is in denial and that is very, very dangerous for us all.
Iraq is in meltdown and the repercussions will last a generation or two. The blame lies squarely at the feet of the Bush Administration and our very own. It is a total failure and the death toll is staggering. Hundreds of Iraqi's killed every day, no real progress and the fact that 10 US soldiers were killed the other day barely warranted a mention on the news here.
We should all watch events in the US over the next few months because the outcomes will directly affect us all. And if you are not worried, you bloody well should be.

Capt.KAOS
8th Dec 2006, 09:16
What a bunch of "cut-and-run" liberal losers :rolleyes:

It is only an advise, Junior needs a month to study the Baker Report and asking him to cut-and-run and negotiate with Iran is mega change which his limited brain hardly can grasp. And what will God say about it?

So, when I see the President of the United States of America bumbling through a Press Conference and looking so totally out of his depth over the Iraq report, I am worried, very worried.Was this the first press conference from GWB you saw?

The sad thing is, that most of the current situation in Iraq has been predicted :(