PDA

View Full Version : Brown doubles Air Passenger Duty

bradfordboy
6th Dec 2006, 13:26
LONDON (Reuters) - Chancellor Gordon Brown said on Wednesday he would double taxes on air travel as a move in his pre-budget report towards combating climate change.

"From February 1 we will double air passenger duty," Brown said, delivering his 10th report to parliament.

The basic levy on short haul flights will rise to 10 pounds and that on long haul to 40 pounds -- with both double on premium flights.

Until now, the government has reaped about a billion pounds a year from flight taxes, levying 5 pounds for every short-haul economy flight and 20 pounds for long-haul journeys. Premium flights were twice those levels.

Mr Lexx
6th Dec 2006, 13:30
Idiotic question coming up....

What's the difference betweenbasic and premium flights?

Rollingthunder
6th Dec 2006, 13:39
I believe it refers to business and first class.

ExSimGuy
6th Dec 2006, 13:59
Correct - When I fly "staff" across the pond, it's obvious that I pay twice as much tax if I buy the "upgrade" to enable me to use Business if the back is full (or if I just feel like pampering myself:cool:) Note that I pay no tax on my return from USA (whoops! Mustn't give Dubya any ideas!!)

So now, in addition to the annual "gouge the motorist", "gouge the drinker", and "gouge the smoker" (all in the name of the environment, of course:mad:) it's going to be "gouge the flier" too.

So WTF does the government do with all this revenue that they keep increasing, whilst hospitals are closing, police shortages, no spare room in the jails, log-jams on the M25, etc, etc. :toss-off:

Fly380
6th Dec 2006, 14:05
Civil Service Pensions?:ugh:

Rainboe
6th Dec 2006, 14:24
Ah how nice! The environment will be saved now that Brown has convinced us that paying the Government extra tax on tickets will somehow save us from overdosing on carbon dioxide! Nice to know that the man who has robbed the middle classes of their pensions, in fact single handedly destroyed the UK private pensions industry is now only looking after our health by taking more taxes when we fly!.......I think.

Pray doesn't it make it more worthwhile to fly to Europe to take longhaul flights now or are these green lunatics who just want to punish us all for breathing prevalent over there too?

Wyler
6th Dec 2006, 14:25
And so it begins. A whole raft of Tax hikes under the umbrella of 'we are saving the planet'.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

And still, most people will not bother to vote in the next election. One day 'we' might wake up and exercise true democracy.

Grainger
6th Dec 2006, 14:38
Given that Cameron's riding the Green Ticket too, just who exactly are you suggesting we vote for ?

Short of a revolution we're stuck with the choice between two equally useless bunches of buffoons. That's why most people don't bother to vote - because there's no-one worth voting for !

Crowe
6th Dec 2006, 14:51
Pray doesn't it make it more worthwhile to fly to Europe to take longhaul flights now or are these green lunatics who just want to punish us all for breathing prevalent over there too?

Yep - what you do now if you want to fly longhaul business class on BA is get a cheap loco to AMS or MXP, then buy your BA ticket via LHR from there, which will in any case be hundreds of pounds cheaper. Takes bit longer, but is cheaper and you take 3 flights rather than one!!! :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Or take one of those all biz class airlines then you'll only pay the lower tax rate as only one cabin.

Muppetry of the highest order.

ExSimGuy
6th Dec 2006, 18:04
Or take one of those all biz class airlines then you'll only pay the lower tax rate as only one cabin.
No - You pay tax on only the class of ticket that YOU fly - not what is the "best" on the flight.

get a cheap loco to AMS or MXP, then buy your BA ticket via LHR from there
What you probably do is to buy a ticket via Paris with Air France, or via AMS with KLM. (or any of other possible examples - Aer Lingus?)

Thus Gordon-feckin-Brown has put an unfair competitive disadvantage onto Big Airways - Our own friggin Flag Carrier

:ugh:

flowman
6th Dec 2006, 19:16
In an interview on Sky News this morning I heard Brown say that he would increase the personal allowance for bringing goods back into the country.
So anyone going shopping in the U.S.A. (or anywhere else for that matter, the U.K. seems to be one of Europes more expensive places now) will be able to recoup the extra taxes in savings on their shopping.
That to me is a personal admission that this has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with Brown increasing the size of his kitty.
It's a shame that U.K. carriers are penalised in an extremely competitive market for the sake of some political manouevring.
The man makes me want to throw up every time I see his smug face. :*

modtinbasher
6th Dec 2006, 20:10
Yep - what you do now if you want to fly longhaul business class on BA is get a cheap loco to AMS or MXP, then buy your BA ticket via LHR from there, which will in any case be hundreds of pounds cheaper. Takes bit longer, but is cheaper and you take 3 flights rather than one!!! :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Muppetry of the highest order.

No, sorry, already sorted. When you divvy up your cc number, they know you're from the UK and you get additional loading anyway! I've tried to do it, and there was a TV programme a couple of years back that exposed it. We're doomed, doomed I tell you!

BenThere
6th Dec 2006, 21:17
Maybe BA can reduce employee compensation to minimize the effect.

click
6th Dec 2006, 21:43
Slush fund!!!!