PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Rescue Teams

Professor Plum
6th Dec 2006, 11:55
Hi all,

I'm hoping I can get a little info on joining the RAF's Mountain Rescue Teams.

I've recently been through OASC, and will be starting IOT in due course. Looking further ahead, I'd like to get involved with the RAF's MRT's.

I'm mostly interested in hearing your thoughts as to whether it would be a viable prospect for someone going through flying training, I'm thinking of perhaps during holding periods only (can you hold full time on an MRT?), and also, are there any Pilots/Aircrew etc out there who are in MRT's?

I'm aware of the high level of commitment, so would want to consider it carefully before getting involved.

Also, do you need to be qualified climbers/mountain leaders/have completed JSAT courses?

I got stuck into the Mountaineering side of things during my UAS time, and I can't think of a better way of spending my weekends!

Any information/views would be gratefully appreciated.

snowball1
6th Dec 2006, 12:38
Hi all,

I'm hoping I can get a little info on joining the RAF's Mountain Rescue Teams.

I've recently been through OASC, and will be starting IOT in due course. Looking further ahead, I'd like to get involved with the RAF's MRT's.

I'm mostly interested in hearing your thoughts as to whether it would be a viable prospect for someone going through flying training, I'm thinking of perhaps during holding periods only (can you hold full time on an MRT?), and also, are there any Pilots/Aircrew etc out there who are in MRT's?

I'm aware of the high level of commitment, so would want to consider it carefully before getting involved.

Also, do you need to be qualified climbers/mountain leaders/have completed JSAT courses?

I got stuck into the Mountaineering side of things during my UAS time, and I can't think of a better way of spending my weekends!

Any information/views would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi,
All you need to do is get in touch with a team leader of one of the teams, and you can go out for a weekend with them to see if you like it,if you do,then you have to complete a trial to see if your suitable. you dont have to be qualified, they take complete novices (they want effort and commitment more than anything) since you follow their training programme. They used to have holding officers on occasions, I imagine they still do. When you are on a team the minimum req is 2 weekends a month, and a training evening during the week, plus your on call for any callouts. Leeming,kinloss,leuchars,valley (hq), all have teams,not sure if stafford team still about. If you have access to the intranet there is more info there. P.S Can you drink? oh and you used to do a duty cook, how i loved doing that!!

White Noise
6th Dec 2006, 18:05
I used to be on Kinloss whilst on a Sqn, its pretty demanding especially being single and having to give 3 weekends a month as well as one night per week. The problem comes when you have a flying program and get callouts, something has to give. It is very rewarding though.
Six years ago there was a queue to join a team, i was speaking to a mate who is still on the team recently and I think they are still flush. Basically you don't need any qualifications as you will go through the mountain training and safety and be assessed whilst on the team, you will get the chance to convert some training to useful quals. There are usually about 3 full time personel on each team to maintain the day to day running, maintaining equipment and planning for weekends.

Uncle Ginsters
6th Dec 2006, 18:19
It's a top job to do...you may be lucky (timing-wise) and find that one of the MRTs need a holding Officer when you're available. You don't need too much experience - just good fitness, enthusiasm and the willingness to put the effort in - as already mentioned, quals are all done in-house.

The fact that you are a pilot, however, is quite a downer! Whilst the trg plot will work out well (single=3 w/e per month), your primary role will always come first, and sadly, HMQE2 doesn't pay MRT guys £5mil to be trained. Callouts will be on a purely operational basis - depending on your stn/role that may be v. difficile.

Overall, you may find that the best way is to seek 'guesting' weekends that allow you to learn without the callout commitment - IF your MRT is happy with that arrangement in the longer term.

Otherwise, RAFMA and stn mountaineering clubs are generally pretty good, and they won't ask you to pick up your mates' bodyparts if the unthinkable happens - a grim reality, i'm afraid.

Hope this helps in some way,

Uncle G

Tonkenna
6th Dec 2006, 18:36
Hi There,

I was a member of the Leuchars team whilst I was an instructor on the UAS, and found the time required very difficult to give... I survived for 6 months and two callouts before something had to give. Thankfully I had a very understanding boss and an even more understanding wife. To give up the time required as a front line pilot... well in my current job (even if there was a MRT at my current base) there is absolutely no chance... sadly.

Its great fun, but the time commitment just does not fit with a frontline flying job IMHO...

I think Uncle G has the answer.

Tonks:cool:

geniculate
6th Dec 2006, 18:54
I spent time holding at MRT's between my flying training posts and I would back up everything the others are saying. You were certainly able to hold with them before and I got a huge amount out of them and gave a lot of time in return - I did several callouts and over 50 weekends with them (the holds were long!). In return I got on some AT and MRT related courses and heaps of solid experience in the hills and in testing the limits of your nerves.
I kept it up until I joined the OCU and then I'm afraid the MRT just had to be dropped - shame though.:sad:

Climebear
6th Dec 2006, 19:24
Otherwise, RAFMA and stn mountaineering clubs are generally pretty good, and they won't ask you to pick up your mates' bodyparts if the unthinkable happens - a grim reality, i'm afraid.

Thanks Uncle G.

Prof Plum, RAF Mountaineering Association (RAFMA) is a good alternative to the MRT - no commitment needed. Neither are AT qualifications as RAFMA's weekend meets are run under the auspices of Sport (ie under the guidelines of the BMC so much like a Uni-climbing club) rather that those required for Adventurous Training. If you would like more info on RAFMA (http://www.rafma.com) PM me and I'll send you some bumf.

Professor Plum
11th Dec 2006, 20:49
Many thanks for the replies.

Sounds like it'd be a very significant commitment, although I've got plenty of time to think about it though.

Climebear: Thanks for the RAFMA link, Sounds good. Pm sent!

Thanks again.