PDA

View Full Version : Is it a Merry Crimbo at work?

modtinbasher
6th Dec 2006, 09:29
Under the guise of 'elf-n-safety, or some other nebulous reason, does there happen to be a military or governmental office near you where traditional decorations or festivities are banned this year?

Ho! Ho! Ho! and a non-merry Winterval to you!

Mr Lexx
6th Dec 2006, 09:44
Shame on you. You cannot say the H word. It is offensive to Ladies of the "night" persuasion

verticalhold
6th Dec 2006, 09:54
In this office Christmas has been cancelled in case of offence to ethnic minorities. As a group of indiginous natives we know that our views are in the minority. Therefore we have cancelled xmas to avoid offending ourselves and the problems associated with reporting ourselves for causing such offence.

At least it saves us from having to snog each other when drunk at the xmas party. We're all blokes apart from one who wears a dress and nobody's too sure in that ones case.:E

bar fly
6th Dec 2006, 10:39
Yep, all the usual. Including secret santa which, whilst I hate the thought of it, gives tempting oportunities to buy someone an incredibly embarrassing present to be opened in front of all at the christmas do! :}

Any original ideas?

verticalhold
6th Dec 2006, 10:43
bar fly;

The perfect opportunity to buy the cute office secretary the outrageously sexy underwear youv'e always dreamed of seeing her in:E :E

Wouldn't work here: see earlier post:{

bar fly
6th Dec 2006, 10:46
I agree whole-heartedly. However, I have drawn the guy sitting next to me. And now the imagery already planted in my head as a result is causing me to grimmace! :yuk:

Whirlygig
6th Dec 2006, 10:48
North Norfolk District Council have ALL their Christmas decorations up including lights on the tree outside! Each department has an artificial tree in their section and tinsel and baubles abound!

Political correctness ain't made it up to Cromer yet!

Cheers

Whirls

verticalhold
6th Dec 2006, 10:49
Bar fly;

Does he know it will be from you? If not something that will cause huge embarrasment with his wife when he gets home utterly pissed.:E :E

Gainesy
6th Dec 2006, 10:52
Political correctness ain't made it up to Cromer yet
I'm surprised that electricity has.:)

verticalhold
6th Dec 2006, 10:54
Yes but those well known familly members the Daddy-Uncle and Mummy-sister started there:E

bar fly
6th Dec 2006, 11:05
If not something that will cause huge embarrasment with his wife when he gets home utterly pissed.:E :E

Aaha....(strokes chin)....now you have got me thinking verticalhold!

:D

verticalhold
6th Dec 2006, 11:22
I am merely here to help you enjoy sadistic pleasures:E

Did it to a colleague a number of years ago, couldn't stand the man. It was well into the New Year before his wife let him off the hook about the mans leather thong he had been given his mrs was convinced that it must have come from a woman:ok:

Navajo8686
6th Dec 2006, 12:09
Whirls

My parents live in Cromer and they haven't got a Christmas Tree up or any decorations!

It's not because they PC but because they think it's still 1723 (like much of the rest of Norfolk :suspect: )

verticalhold
6th Dec 2006, 13:24
It may be 1723 in Norfolk, but at least they can count up to 24 on their hands and feet:E

moosp
6th Dec 2006, 14:41
I thought it was a wind up when I read on the BBC web site that around 75% of UK companies have said in a poll that they will not allow Christmas decorations in the office this year. Reasons given were to prevent upsetting non Christians, and the fear of being sued. How this has happened in the last ten years is amazing and sad.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is complete insanity. In over a hundred countries around the world big fat Santas and "seasonal trees" and lights and decorations are put up to make the place look festive. I venture that the large majority of the populations of these countries have no idea of the Christian Christmas story. A straw poll by a newspaper in HKG a few years ago found this.

The Asian countries that I shall fly to in December will have decorations everywhere. In some, Christians and lapsed Christians make up less than 10% of the population but it is a great excuse for a party.

If your managers are so afraid of law suits for upsetting the staff with bunting, then either they are wimps with a money saving agenda or the legal system has become a mockery. What happened to the test of reasonableness in civil suits?

The offices of Hong Kong are decked out, the tree is in Statue Square. Singapore looks fabulous down Orchard road with the decorations. Beijing is not so shabby with decor, and even predominantly Muslim Indonesia has decorations in the hotels.

You don't have to be Christian to enjoy Xmas. Just as Westerners get into Chinese new year, and gentiles can appreciate Passover and Hannukah.

To stop the public celebration of a festival that is by now quasi religious anyway is inane.

The_Banking_Scot
6th Dec 2006, 18:16
Hi,

We have our christmas decorations up in the office.

Regards

TBS

Lon More
6th Dec 2006, 18:32
For secret santas everywhere (http://www.shopinprivate.com/elshavforpub.html)

Whirlygig
6th Dec 2006, 18:48
I thought it was a wind up when I read on the BBC web site that around 75% of UK companies have said in a poll that they will not allow Christmas decorations in the office this year. Reasons given were to prevent upsetting non Christians, and the fear of being sued. How this has happened in the last ten years is amazing and sad.
Looking around me over the last week (and I have been in the real world of Oxford and Newbury as well as the time warp that is East Dereham!) and I can't believe this poll is genuine. I'm afraid to say that I suspect it's BBC hype.

There are Christmas decs in all the shops and most offices I have been to. Or are they saying that I have only been to the 25%? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Whirls

EDIspotter
6th Dec 2006, 19:09
We put our decs up today. Tinsel around desk edges and around monitors, and bigger decorations sitting on the bits where the desk dividers cross, like mini-trees, snowmen etc. Me and one of the girls in the office tried to get fairy lights around our desks, but in true tradition, when we plugged them in, they didnt work !

The_Banking_Scot
6th Dec 2006, 19:27
Hi,

We also had tinsel round our monitors but we were told to remove then as it was against " Health & Safety" -ie the tinsel could catch fire !:=
So we have had to stick them up on our desk baffle boards.:}

Regards

TBS

reynoldsno1
6th Dec 2006, 20:02
In this office Christmas has been cancelled in case of offence to ethnic minorities

mrsr1 is an effnik minor - she finds this kind of treatment patronising and offensive. She was more than happy to take part in the local Christmas Parade with the rest of the local Thai community ....

VFE
6th Dec 2006, 20:28
Not a single decoration up at my place but that's no suprise really. If we're not too busy to spend time doing silly things like that then we're at home being too lazy to bother going into work just to do silly things like that... cuz that would be silly!

Shame though. :hmm:

VFE.