PDA

View Full Version : 747 Heavy Maint in SYD Hangar 245

Bolty McBolt
6th Dec 2006, 08:55
Rumour has it that a senior manager of 4 Stuff (the same people who set up another heavy facility) whom is also an ex ALAEA stalwart has been seen sniffing around SYD jet base H245.

Apparently there is a vacant hangar which would be perfect for 747/744 maintenance checks which is being under utilised. Super A and C checks are proposed as there is high demand for quality and overflow work in the region.

I hope its not true but in these times anything can happen
. :ouch:

domo
6th Dec 2006, 09:47
when i was working the hajj aircraft it was parked in h271 because permission was needed to park the aircraft in h245.the leasee had to be contacted he appeared to be outside qantas.

i wonder if many ex qantas workers will return.
they could even take base work off us later on a perfect strike breaker

Apophis
6th Dec 2006, 09:48
what ! avalon can,t handle the overflow.
what a shock.

company_spy
6th Dec 2006, 22:56
So Kieth Clark may get what he wanted all along, a hangar full of monkeys getting payed peanuts. I havn't seen a full day engine run for a while......

QF MAINT OUTSOURCED
7th Dec 2006, 02:15
Good Luck Getting Any Ex Qantas Lames From H245,not Many If Any Want To Come Back

company_spy
7th Dec 2006, 02:54
Don't be so sure, there are quite a few who are less than overjoyed with life on the outside, and may see this as a way to get a toe back in the door, which of course it would not.

QF MAINT OUTSOURCED
7th Dec 2006, 06:01
Not The Ones I've Spoken Too

numbskull
7th Dec 2006, 06:21
Nor this little black duck or the people I've spoken to!!

domo
7th Dec 2006, 22:57
Add in the australian avaition section
lames wanted heavy jet experence contract work in the new year
could be 245
could be they going to sack the lot of us and replace us with cheap labour
did not ask for ames though

Redstone
7th Dec 2006, 23:18
Probably just putting the feelers out Domo, as stated I would doubt that they are going to be swamped with applications. I suppose they have the hangar sitting there, empty, idle, may as well use it.

The grape vine indicates that EBY is slotted for a Super A check in Brisbane upon it's return from the sand pit. More overflow work from the overflow work facility.........

A decision is going to have to be made very soon as to the long term status of the 747 classic fleet. Some are apparently coming up to huge D checks with no capacity O/S to outsource these checks. Perhaps the idea is to run them through H245 eventually? One would have to wonder though with no support shop capacity left at the Jet Base.

We live in interesting times.

Apophis
8th Dec 2006, 00:18
Add in the australian avaition section
lames wanted heavy jet experence contract work in the new year
could be 245
could be they going to sack the lot of us and replace us with cheap labour
did not ask for ames though
just e mailed them they seem to be fishing for ames as well as other trades from there response more than happy to collect resumes but will not give any information.

domo
8th Dec 2006, 02:38
Had a chat myself said they wanted lames for base and line all ports australila
did not know much as he was not avaition
interviews in january
did not say who the employers is

Apophis
8th Dec 2006, 06:53
A response to an enquiry.
We will be looking to fill specific trade roles and will advertise around February/March, so feel free to apply if you see the ads or alternatively visit our website at the end of February early March.

Really tired of recruitment companies fishing for resumes but not willing to give any details.

numbskull
8th Dec 2006, 10:27
domo, who do you think the employer would be? Virgin advertise under their own name.

It's only QF management think people are stupid and can't put two and two together. What other "heavy jet" operators are going to require LAMES in all ports around Australia. QF have already advertised in Perth for LAME positions without disclosing themselves (probably because they realise if they let prospective applicants know who is advertising then fewer people will apply, which is probably the case.)

They want people for short and long term contracts.

When I left QF there were contracts available in Singapore and Malaysia paying approx Sing $48 per hour. I bet QF will be pitching their contracts at a significant dicount to that price because people would rather live in Australia than Malaysia or Singapore (generally speaking).

I would bet my left nut that QF is going to try and employ LAMES under contracts similiar to what MAS and SIA do but at a cheaper rate

There have been plenty of current QF LAMES supplying that demand for LAMES and effectively lowering the price via supply and demand for qualified workers.

All I can say is good luck- and to those greedy bas@#$ds that supply the short term contract labour to Asian MRO's while still employed at QF- STOP IT!! you will do yourself and everyone else a favour to your wage rates if you withdraw your services from the pool of contract LAMES available in Asia/Australia.

Redstone
8th Dec 2006, 11:44
Has anyone had any dealings with AMSA? How do they recruit? Word of mouth or in the way described above? Perhaps they are about to embark on an expansion, I did hear they were looking at doing the SIA 744 A checks in Syd that Base Maint missed out on.

As for the contract set up, I'm not sure that QF is on the same page as MAS as yet Numbskull, Malasian is able to employ a $hitload of arms and legs (AME's) for peanuts. The Ame/Lae ratio is vastly different to QFs.

numbskull
8th Dec 2006, 19:12
Whoever is behind this ad is conducting a massive australia wide advertising campaign to get people on contracts to start in the new year in Australia and NZ. AMSA can't afford those huge ads or the huge campaign. They also advertise under their own name as most reputable companies do. It's QF, believe me!!

Redstone as for employing people on **** money and reducing the LAME/AME ratio- Well they are quite obviously working on that as well. My bet is that in 2007 contract labour under a seperate company will be working alongside QF people in all locations. This already happens in many industries.This is how QF will employ people going forward. QF will retain a few yes men.

It makes for a great source of alternative labour if EBA negotiations break down!! The writing is well and truly on the wall!

How would you like your **** sandwich?? With or without butter?

domo
8th Dec 2006, 20:59
numbskull unfortunately I think along your lines
its is expensive to pay for these adds must be the rat

Redstone
8th Dec 2006, 22:14
alternatively visit our website at the end of February early March.

Did they at least give up the web address?

Numbskull, you are making sense, and I would not doubt the motives of Q. But eventually they are going to have to put their cards on the table cash wise. And we all know I'm sure how tight fisted they are. The recent adds over in Perth for LAME's (as you point out the silly dopes tried to hide the fact it was QF by having a hotmail address to apply to) drew a bit of interest but once the cat was let out of the bag, the laughter was deafening.

Show me the money.

Apophis
9th Dec 2006, 00:27
everyone knows its QF thats for sure why try hide it the web address is.
www.resumedomain.com
Forstaff must be out of favour.

Bolty McBolt
10th Dec 2006, 04:49
How much are they paying ?

Q/ Who would show up to an interview without knowing the conditions you are applying for or the company whom is doing the employing?

A/ A pilot or someone joining the CIA :yuk:

The interview process will be amusing too?

Q Why do you want to work for/at (insert company name here) ?

A UMM :confused:

Q What qualities do you think you would bring to (insert company name here) doing an unspecified job for undisclosed pay and conditions ?

A UMM

etc etc etc

kiwi grey
10th Dec 2006, 08:01
everyone knows its QF thats for sure why try hide it the web address is.
www.resumedomain.com (http://www.resumedomain.com)
Forstaff must be out of favour.

A quick check shows this is registered as
Organisation Name.... Resumedomain.com Pty Ltd
Organisation Address. Level 29 Chifley Tower
Organisation Address. 2 Chifley Square
Organisation Address. Sydney
Organisation Address. 2000
Organisation Address. NSW
Organisation Address. AUSTRALIA

Sound familiar?

chemical alli
10th Dec 2006, 08:49
sounds to me bolty that you have a little bit of conspiracy theorist in you but by no means take that personally.trust is certainly not in the sustainable future programme.i agree no way give your details to a contract employment company who cant even give you one solid answer as to who, why or where and how much.too bad they didnt advertise six months ago or the vr package might have had my signature on it.:ok:

numbskull
10th Dec 2006, 09:43
Chemical ali they didn't advertise 6 months ago because they have the same people pulling the strings. They have to get rid of you first before they re-employ you on a contract.

I must admit I could see this coming a mile off and I'm afraid I think you've missed the boat for VR. They'll just treat you like ****, hoping that you'll leave and all future employees will be hired on contracts that they can ditch at short notice( my current contract can be terminated at a weeks notice by either party) with few ramifications.

Only the priveleged few will get further training. The rest will be treated like **** to encourage them to move to "higher paying " contracts.

good luck to all!!

chemical alli
11th Dec 2006, 10:07
it will be interesting to say the least on who attends the so called wonder woman recruitment drive interviews,invisible employer,invisble wages,invisible aircraft,invisible training.heard on the rumor mill and i say rumor only at this stage menzies to take over ba handling.so it might not be the big roo after all.the heavy maint side of a telephone conversation with this so called secret employer still points the finger at one party though

numbskull
11th Dec 2006, 18:55
My bet is that they will try and pick up all those LAMES who do short term contract work in Asia (I wonder if they are advertising in any intenational publications) Maybe they will try and steal some of the Singapore/Malaysian/HK contractors. They will also probably like to cherry pick those that they have made redundant in recent years.

They'll have to come to the party on money though otherwise all they'll end up with is the deadwood from recent redundancies. Maybe they'll offer very good money to contractors (but no sick leave,9% super, no redundancy entitlement, no long service, ot at normal rates,limited staff travel etc)and very poor money to their own staff to encourage people across.

They also mention training in the advertisement but if they're going to have to write into the contract a guarantee of A380 or 787 training. Since I don't think they will offer good money or training I don't think they will get many people.

Redstone
12th Dec 2006, 04:10
Well while we are on the rumors, AMSA awarded SIA A380 handling over all other bids, could be some sort of partnership on the horizon?????

With the advertising thing, this industry and what we do is farly tight knit. Most jobs go before the adverts even roll off the press. Companies usually don't have to mount large advertising campaigns. Word of mouth...... 99% of us have a mate of a mate who knows a bloke........

chemical alli
12th Dec 2006, 09:33
[. Word of mouth...... 99% of us have a mate of a mate who knows a bloke........[/quote]unless you are one of the protected few then you only have one mate of a mate .dont tell me nepitism again even when the ink on the ads arent even dry,but seriously amsa can hardle handle sia 744 how the hell will they handle the380? i guess when the so called 550 seater arrives it will sit on the ground for so long taking on fuel/cleaning/maint/baggage etc that a team of monkeys would have time to read a fim and fix it

turnarounds
20th Dec 2006, 22:06
AMSA have my resume but as I dont have B777/Trent or PW 4000 I guess my chances are slim.

[email protected] and www.amsa.net.au (http://www.amsa.net.au) I am pretty sure they do not use resumedomain.con

sickofqf
22nd Dec 2006, 05:40
The rumor going around is that EBX's schedule has it coming in for a C check in march, however it's last flight is into SYD, and Lufthanza Technik has the contract, in H245.

BTW this rumor is filtering down from H271/1

People with rats on their backs are spending alot of time fixing the docking in H245. It is to become the Half C overflow facility for Avalon run by, you guessed it, Forstaff......LT would probably be better !!

Hmm, didn't Avalon start out as the overflow facility for Sydney.........

It's all coming back with cheap wages and low skilled staff....great !!

Oh, and if they think they'll get staff easily they'd better chat to AVV and BNE heavy.........even the contractors don't hang around !!

Apophis
22nd Dec 2006, 08:30
Forstaff they can’t even run AVV in an efficient manner I have lost count of how many good people have left this place Christ what a bloody shambles.

BHMvictim
23rd Dec 2006, 01:54
i agree sickofqf, brisbane is having a hard time retaining the decent contractors,

Brisbane is having a hard time retaining anyone. Each time the newsletter comes out, there's farewell notices to blokes on the floor, and welcome notices to new office dwellers.

The impression I get is that management have no intetion of replacing disguntled employess who leave. Their intention is to replace them with contractors. Of the few contractors that I have worked with, I can think of only two that would be worth employing on wide body aircraft. (No offence to the others.... I'd probably be hopless working on GA planes, just as they are hopless on widebody).

So they are having a hard time retaining full timers, and an even harder time finding decent contractors.

It doesn't supprise me that H245 may be set up with contract labour. My guess is that they will be employed on AWAs. Though it may be a little early for this. Under Johhny F%$#ckwit Howards master plan, we are not quite ready for the full scale assult of workchoices.

soldier of fortune
23rd Dec 2006, 03:33
yes --while the center of excellance at BHM KEEPS CHURNING out the quailty
products ie -b767s with apu fires etc etc -the guys in ACS will allways have a job. :D :D :ok:

ps -you can include AVV as well

The Bungeyed Bandit
23rd Dec 2006, 04:13
And the latest rumour doing the rounds only yesterday at SYD Base Maint CC01 was that "The Hairy Nosed Wombat" was coming out of retirement to run the H245 overflow facility.

'aveagoodknight
23rd Dec 2006, 06:07
Recruiting engineers for a new operation eh? I'd rather live in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, then 2nd choice perhaps put my head in a pot of boiling oil, 3rd choice - live in Sydney or Melbourne. Just imagine where you could afford to live in SYD or MEL on AME wages...

:)

HotDog
23rd Dec 2006, 11:55
In the good old days when Qantas was out sourcing LAMEs, I was posted to Singapore, escaping a life with my wife and new baby, of sharing a house with an old lady in Lakemba. Qantas gave me six years in paradise. Oh for the good old days!

BHMvictim
23rd Dec 2006, 22:41
yes --while the center of excellance at BHM KEEPS CHURNING out the quailty
products ie -b767s with apu fires etc etc -the guys in ACS will allways have a job. :D :D :ok:
ps -you can include AVV as well

This is a bloody embarrassment to many of us working in BHM. The concern though, is that those responsible seem to get away with such negligence time and time again.

Walk past an aircraft without your safety glasses though, and you get your ar$e kicked. Priorities are all wrong.

soldier of fortune
23rd Dec 2006, 23:21
to BHM victim- my sympathies are with you -and i am not being sarcastic-
a while back i remember seeing OGE come down from BHM on ferry to syd after a c chk- with the aircraft towed and parked on arrival up to north east -the left MLG had 3 INCHES of chrome showing and the right had 10 SHOWING - with aircraft visibly leening to the left there- seem's to be constant quality issues up there.
any way merry x-mas to you good luck up there for 07 :ok: :ok:

sickofqf
24th Dec 2006, 00:37
And the latest rumour doing the rounds only yesterday at SYD Base Maint CC01 was that "The Hairy Nosed Wombat" was coming out of retirement to run the H245 overflow facility.

My syd contacts assure me this is just a rumour which started because he was spotted in 271.
He was just there helping on the old 707 bucket and catching up with people who used to occupy the space under his desk !

domo
24th Dec 2006, 00:51
hairy nose wombat was a better manager than slicker