PDA

View Full Version : Service Risks Insurance Premium Refunds?

Spit the Dog
6th Dec 2006, 08:44
Just had to take out policy with Scottish Provident for mortgage and have received a £40 per month penalty for declaring I was aircrew and visited Telic/Herrick monthly. I believe this part of the premium is refundable via JPA F010 (JSP 752 Chp 10 Sct 7). I would appreciate any input or feedback from anyone that has been successful with this process, (or not!).

PPRuNeUser0211
6th Dec 2006, 09:15
Spit, if IIRC then you have to have paid the premium for an entire year before you can claim it back.... bit of a nause, and that may have changed under JPA, but somehow I doubt it!

Sailingbiggles
6th Dec 2006, 09:35
Spit,

I've just claimed after my 1st year.
I believe you can only claim for 95% of what you've paid out and then it's taxed after that!
They also want a verification sig from your mortgage provider (paper proof of payments obviously not inconvenient enough!)

Hope this helps

Cumbrian Fell
6th Dec 2006, 10:45
Did you take out the policy when you were in the RAF (and presumably aircrew)? If so, have a go at the financial provider for mis-selling you a financial instrument. The companies are under remit to ensure that they take all practical steps to sell you policies that are fit for purpose (or advise you without equivocation that it might be inappropriate).
Some years ago I was sold an Endowment Policy (remember them?) that excluded claims as a result of Military Risk. Whereas acts of war (declared or otherwise) are usual and understandable exemptions, when pressed about the extent of the ill-defined Military Risk, the company confirmed that they would not pay out for injury or death that resulted from any military activity. Examples cited in the subsequent correspondence included 'death or injury... from office equipment' and 'death or injury in a road traffic accident'. Bearing in mind that deaths resulting from RTAs account for 35% of Service personnel deaths, it is clear that this policy - sold to me by an ex Cdr RN, and physically signed up in the Mess - was not fit for purpose. After considerable correspondence, the matter was referred to the FSA and the company agreed to underwrite any 'losses' rather than refund payments with interest. The policy remains in force; I have lodged the FSA arbitration with my solicitor, so as to gently remind the insurance company of their liabilities if anything was to happen to me.

FB11
6th Dec 2006, 18:16
This answer may be more simple than litigation, assuming you accept the fact that an insurer is probably going to load your premiums for driving a big bird in and out of a place where the locals would happily skin you alive.

95% is what I claim on the extra premium loading (I have been claiming for a while so do check that it's stayed the same; there's no reason why it should have changed as it was raised from 75% to 95% some time ago.)

You can claim at not less than 6 monthly intervals.

There is an upper limit on the amount of total insurance the extra premium can be cliamed on. Last time I looked it was £105,000. Any more cover, you have to pay the full premium loading. Do check the current figure.

You can have more than one 'loaded' policy which adds up to no more cover than the total allowed.

I put in my first claim on JPA and it was very easy; approved and paid within 2 days as opposed to 6 weeks(ish) the long hand way with self addressed envelopes.

Let me know if you want specific instructions on JPA, (sounds as though it'll be a few months to your first claim though) it's easier than litigation.

Cumbrian Fell
6th Dec 2006, 20:00
FB11 - the problem was not the premiums - it was the fact that the company concerned continued to accept premiums but would not underwrite 'military risk', having knowlingly sold a policy to a serviceman.

Spit the Dog
7th Dec 2006, 07:20
Thanks for all advice..policy was only started last month with Scotish Provident after recommendation from fellow Sqn member. Believe they have links to NAAFI therefore understand Aircrew situation.

swampy_lynx_puke
7th Dec 2006, 13:27
Spit,
I have a LI policy with Scottish Provident and have successfully reclaimed 95% of the loading for the past 10 years.
Just fill in the MOD Form - F/INS 118 - I think (I got it off the MOD Intranet) and post with a covering letter to the Insurer to get their signature to confirm your figures (if you ask them to do the maths they will get it wrong) in their section of the form. Then post off...
I tend to claim every year, quite a good way to save up some readies for Xmas!
I guess you'll have to do the same process under JPA to ensure you have the correct paper trail when audited.
Good luck, it's a bit of a bind but worth it - you'll get the money back... probably:D

Spit the Dog
7th Dec 2006, 20:55
Cheers SLP !!

Mmmmnice
8th Dec 2006, 12:30
SLP - ignore me if I'm way behind the times but....some years ago when I had a policy loaded for flying risks the extra premium only lasted for 7 years. I presume this was some random figure dreamt up by the actuaries. Obviously things may well have changed over the years, but it will not have been the first time that an insurance company has continued to over-collect on premiums!

Pontius Navigator
8th Dec 2006, 13:32
Spit,
I have a LI policy with Scottish Provident and have successfully reclaimed 95% of the loading for the past 10 years.
Just fill in the MOD Form - F/INS 118 - I think (I got it off the MOD Intranet) and post with a covering letter to the Insurer to get their signature to confirm your figures (if you ask them to do the maths they will get it wrong) in their section of the form. Then post off...
I tend to claim every year, quite a good way to save up some readies for Xmas!
I guess you'll have to do the same process under JPA to ensure you have the correct paper trail when audited.
Good luck, it's a bit of a bind but worth it - you'll get the money back... probably:D

You might be able to claim earlier by paying the premium up front. In other words, if you can claim back 6 months premiums, then you could pay the 6 months in one go and make an immediate claim back. I did.

Also the additional risk used to be for about 1/3 of the period of the policy.
There was also a ceiling on the amount of insurance although it was lifted regularly and I never breached the ceiling.