PDA

View Full Version : How important is sim performance?

Justinian
5th Dec 2006, 16:16
Was wondering what everybody else's opinion is with regards to the sim prep.

I have spoken to a few guys who reckon they stuffed up their sim ride completely, yet they got hired, and then I have spoken to guys who feel they have aced their sim ride, but then they did not get hired. So, my question is: How important is your performace in the sim? What constitutes a "good" and "bad" simulator ride...

And then lastly, if you prepare for your simulator ride, and fly well, it is almost as good as writing a test to which you already know the answers to.

So how much weight does it all really carry. In fact which aspect of the interview carries most weight...

:ok:

luvmuhud
6th Dec 2006, 05:24
Justinian,
It's always hard to know exactly how someone went in a sim based on their critique of their performance. I know of guys who have forgotton to raise or lower the gear etc, but have still got in. I think that they are looking for:

CRM (not single pilot ops)
you to strive for accuracy
solid selective radial scan

and probably looking at:

your personality
general approach to the sim
performance after errors

From what I've heard, the sim is fairly important. I paid for a practice, and I'd certainly do it again.

Good luck.

Justinian
6th Dec 2006, 05:51
That is exactly what I am worried about. I paid for sim prep and I was very thankful that I did prep, because otherwise I think my ride would have been a nightmare! I just don't what to think of the ride afterwards - good or bad???

Well, I will have my results very soon...

extreme P
19th Dec 2006, 08:01
"Everything you do in HK is important, but nothing is more important than the sim". HR's advice to me.

Fantomen
19th Dec 2006, 14:26
I flew the sim fairly well but made one huge mistake. I don't want to elaborate on what mistake I made. I was hired anyway. All the people in my interview group hired (3 out of 8) had done a sim prep.

404 Titan
19th Dec 2006, 17:38
Sim has about a 70% weighting in the second interview process. What they are looking for is trainability, ability to recover from errors, general flying ability and your demeanour.

7Q Off
19th Dec 2006, 19:35
404 is right. :ok:

Show them you are trainable and your ability to recover from mistakes and you will be fine. :ok:

Justinian
20th Dec 2006, 09:25
I must say I agree with what has been said so far. I can't see the sim counting about 70% of your success weight.

I know of guys who have made some terrible mistakes (like forgetting gear, exceeding flap limit speeds, banking more than 45 degrees to intercept an ILS), yet they got hired.

Maybe the secret is how you perform in general, and your overall attitude (personality wise) towards the sim, the assessors etc. All in all, I think your success is mainly determined by your personality - they either like you or they don't! I mean, If we like a person, we will forgive some of his mistakes, but if they don't like you, well then your mistakes become their justifying argument.

Goodluck for those awaiting their sim rides!

404 Titan
20th Dec 2006, 10:15
Justinian

I can assure you it is about 70%. This doesn’t mean you can pooch the interview, tech exam etc and still make it. As for making the mistakes you mentioned in the sim? Well it all depends on their error recovery. Did they do it again on the next ILS etc? If they did then they probably won’t get in. Assessing a prospective candidate can be very subjective but certain criteria must be met. If they don’t meet them then they most likely won’t get hired.

757manipulator
20th Dec 2006, 11:58
This doesn’t mean you can pooch the interview, tech exam etc and still make it

Damn:} there is no hope for me! I always pooch exams!! (I blame the chemicals they put in the water)

Seriously for a second, a mate has just got in as a DEFO for the freighter, and he was told that the sim is they key part, sure, get throught the interviews without coming across as a serial killer, and study for the techy bit. However please, please make sure your sim flying is up to scratch:ok:

xsbank
20th Dec 2006, 16:17
Cathay puts all of your responses on a matrix and some parts have more weighting than others, but I don't buy it that the person who rents a sim and does a perfect ride will do better than the person who studies the material and doesn't do that 'perfect' performance. I think, like another previous poster, that the sim. ride is looking at your abilities to learn, change and your attitude when you stuff up. Seems to me if you do a 'perfect' ride that your responses to other tests will be looked at more closely.

I don't think that you will be as easy to evaluate if you do a perfect ride. Some candidates may even have flown a 47 before.

Any of you who were doing well, did they toss in an exercise that you weren't expecting?

I heard from another candidate that he was asked if he could name two cities on the equator or if he knew the principal religion in Indonesia. Obviously the answers are not important but the response is.