PDA

View Full Version : Gwyneth: British are more intelligent

Huck
5th Dec 2006, 13:14
Oscar-winning US actress Gwyneth Paltrow feels dinner talk is far more interesting in her adopted homeland Britain than back in her native country.

"I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America. People don't talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner," she told "NS," the weekend magazine supplement of daily Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias on Saturday.

"I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans," the 34-year-old added.

Tell you what - you can keep her.

brickhistory
5th Dec 2006, 13:19
[Tell you what - you can keep her.

And Madonna. Sorry, but them's the rules.

Any others you'd like? We'll trade you Brittany, Paris, and Lindsay for one Keira. Sounds like a more than fair trade...........

ORAC
5th Dec 2006, 13:37
Tell you what - you can keep her. Yes please.. :D :O

Binoculars
5th Dec 2006, 13:38
I saw the estimable Gwyneth's quote. Yawn, I thought, who cares?

I also saw her reply suggesting that a Portuguese scandal sheet may just possibly have exaggerated her response. Would that surprise anybody here?

What is strange is the instant defensiveness displayed by a couple of archetypal Americans. Do you ever stop to think that any apparent American-hater is simply being misquoted, even if they are (shudder) a liberal?

To assume the quote is true conveys a trust in the media utterly lacking in the average American. Is it as easy as blaming the press for things you don't want to hear and congratulating them for great journalism when they agree with your own views?

chuks
5th Dec 2006, 13:39
Ms. Paltrow is probably comparing her British friends to the sort of people one mixes with in Hollywood.

Fred Allen once said that an 'associate producer' was so called because he was the only sort of person who would associate with a producer. Want to bet that Britain's now-favourite blonde once or twice had to apply her delicate lips to the hindquarters of such creatures over drinks and dinner, back before she became famous? Such is life in Hollywood. Relative to that, chatting with a group of Brits could come across as refreshingly cultivated, yes indeed.

Don't get too excited; we Americans are just suckers for that British veneer of class.

Look, for instance, at the way Ralph 'Lipschitz' Lauren markets his overpriced schmattas to us. I went to the store on New Bond Street and had to be put on oxygen due to the rarefied atmosphere, as if I were in some English gentleman's club. Well, this phoney-baloney way of selling clothes is as close as I am likely to come to that, aside from once having driven a Ford Fiesta with a Royal Automobile Club sticker on its windscreen.

Wait! I forgot to mention the time I got a handshake from the Duke of Edinburgh for not killing him on a flight, once. Is that class or what?

Generally, the trashier the background the stronger the pull of that aura of class. Anyone who has ever read 'The Great Gatsby' will remember the gangster who admired the book's anti-hero for having attended 'Oggsford.'

VFE
5th Dec 2006, 13:49
I saw the estimable Gwyneth's quote. Yawn, I thought, who cares?

To assume the quote is true conveys a trust in the media utterly lacking in the average American. Is it as easy as blaming the press for things you don't want to hear and congratulating them for great journalism when they agree with your own views?
Exactly Bino's - it's almost as if people want to be outraged. I think it was the late Frank Zappa who once said "I was happy to outrage anyone who would like to be outraged!". Some folk need something to get wound up over.

The smarter celebrity soon discovers the power of outrage. :D

VFE.

ORAC
5th Dec 2006, 13:56
She does also happen to be married to a Brit, Chris Martin, with 2 kids. It is generally accepted that celebrities, and their children, tend to be able to lead more normal lives - going to the local shops etc - in London than in places like LA or NY.

brickhistory
5th Dec 2006, 14:02
bino,

My point is simply that the British can have her. I took no offense at her having a different viewpoint. And I tried to throw in a few of our other airheads as well......

Regarding the media, good points. No, I am just as skeptical as you regarding them, however, many celebrities have gone elsewhere and said how stupid/naive/insert your own comment here about the US, but don't have the guts to say it at home. Then they'll come home saying they were "misquoted." The most classic example was the country group, the Dixie Chicks in the UK several years ago. They took a severe public relations beating and subsequent drop in sales for a long while.

I've no problem with a celebrites having a different view with two caveats; 1) don't preach to me when I'm going to your show to hear you sing/entertain and paid a high price to do so unless it is advertised as a political event. Bruce Springsteen did that when he campaigned for John Kerry. But he was upfront about it. I can respect that.
2) Have the courage to have the same viewpoint at home as abroad.

Clarence Oveur
5th Dec 2006, 14:03
The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans

Can we then infer that, being an American, she declares herself being of less intelligence and civility? And therefore her postulation is likewise?

Or is she so clever that she outwitted herself?

Loki
5th Dec 2006, 14:32
Ms Paltrow is probably forgetting, as someone else here implied that the sort of people she mixes with in lala land are generally deeply shallow. I`ve had lots of stimulating conversation with US citizens on a wide range of subjects. Mind you, I did get stuck on a bus once which was full of OAPs from Iowa; banal is one word (which they wouldn`t have understood)

Anyway I rather like our Gwyneth, at least she can do an English accent convincingly, which is rare enough.

brickhistory
5th Dec 2006, 14:42
Anyway I rather like our Gwyneth, at least she can do an English accent convincingly, which is rare enough.

Yep, with all the Slavic and Arabic accents so prevelant, I can imagince hearing an English accent, even if false, would be refreshing. :E

Loki
5th Dec 2006, 14:49
Well the only slavic accents I hear are from our chums from Poland who also prefer this country to their own. How polite they seem!

I don`t think I`ve encountered any Arabs for a long time.

My point, such as it was, that a professional actor who makes the effort to get something so important right should be valued. There are other people who can do it of course, Gillian Anderson for example.....though I believe that`s genuine since she grew up in this sceptred isle.

ORAC
5th Dec 2006, 14:55
Yep, with all the Slavic and Arabic accents so prevelant, I can imagince hearing an English accent, even if false, would be refreshing. This, from the country that brought us Secretary of State Kissinger and Governer Schwarzenegger...... :hmm:

brickhistory
5th Dec 2006, 15:12
loki,

Just trying for humo(u)r. I see I've solo'd again in my lead balloon......

orac, :ok:

Capt.KAOS
5th Dec 2006, 15:15
Oscar-winning US actress Gwyneth Paltrow feels dinner talk is far more interesting in her adopted homeland Britain than back in her native country.

"I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America. People don't talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner," she told "NS," the weekend magazine supplement of daily Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias on Saturday.

"I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans," the 34-year-old added.

Tell you what - you can keep her.Obviously Mrs.Paltrow never attended your candlelight dinner parties?

Tyre kicker
5th Dec 2006, 15:18
This, from the country that brought us Secretary of State Kissinger and Governer Schwarzenegger...... :hmm:
touche lol:E

West Coast
5th Dec 2006, 15:30
"Obviously Mrs.Paltrow never attended your candlelight dinner parties?"

Then I guess she never attended a real BBQ dinner then. A helluva lot more fun with a lot less pretense.

brickhistory
5th Dec 2006, 16:03
Then I guess she never attended a real BBQ dinner then.

Pork or beef?

slim_slag
5th Dec 2006, 16:18
Well, I have to agree with her, though in both countries you only mainly tend to hang out with people you like, and there are plenty of decent people in the States.

So what makes a BBQ dinner real?

brickhistory
5th Dec 2006, 16:54
So what makes a BBQ dinner real?

Faded, well broken in blue jeans, broken in work or cowboy boots are not out of place, beer and/or whiskey (usually the bourbon kind, not scotch whisky, although I'm sure there are many variations permitted on this), sitting up all night with friends and/or family, making the Brunswick stew (for a pork BBQ), sampling the meat as the hours progress to make sure it's just right.

I would think a beef BBQ experience would run along the same lines, but defer to those with first-hand knowledge. I've 'eat' beef brisket, but never cooked it.

Re-entry
5th Dec 2006, 16:57
Renee Zellweger also does a convincing english accent.

VFE
5th Dec 2006, 17:05
But Brad Pitt's pikey accent was better!

VFE.

PanPanYourself
5th Dec 2006, 17:18
Good for Gwenyth, shes intelligent enough to be objective and not let her nationality stop her from saying something which is absolutely TRUE!
:ok:

I only wish more Americans were like her, i.e. objective and intelligent.

brickhistory
5th Dec 2006, 17:23

Based on, ...ummm...

ummmm...

ummmm.....

your opinion?

chuks
5th Dec 2006, 19:18
I agree completely that your average Brit is more intelligent and cultivated than your average denizen of Hollywood. If you had only thought to jump on the republican bandwagon, though, how much further you could have got, perhaps even up to the level of a normal American.

Gwyneth just needs to get out more.

Rich Lee
5th Dec 2006, 19:20
Okay, we take the troops out of Iraq and everywhere else, we sign the Kyoto protocal, and we get rid of Bush however ...... we keep Renee Zellweger. On that point there will be no negotiation.:mad:

Loose rivets
5th Dec 2006, 19:29
Hey, don't knock the sophistication ratio. I dine out on the fact that I'm English. (I take some time explaining the difference between being English and being British.)

One of the things that sets me apart from the other diners, is that (usually) I'm the only one at the table that was bombed in WWII.

On of the questions that I'm often asked is, "Are all the British millionaires?". (The property boom thing.) I keep a perfectly straight face and answer to the affirmative.

PanPanYourself
5th Dec 2006, 19:40
Based on, ...ummm...
ummmm...
ummmm.....
your opinion?

ummmm...

ummmm...

uhhhhh....

duuuhhhhh....

YES! Obviousy... :rolleyes:

Tricky Woo
5th Dec 2006, 19:48
Gwyneth Paltrow? Sounds Welsh; that explains everything. Them Welshie birds are all avid anglophiles. Go down on a cocker spaniel if it's got an English accent. Her elbows probably spend more time under the dinner table than on it, if yer see wot I means.

As regards them pesky yanks not being as intelligent as wot we clearly is. Erm, forgot wot I wuz sayin'.

TW

brickhistory
5th Dec 2006, 20:25
Good for Gwenyth, shes intelligent enough to be objective and not let her nationality stop her from saying something which is absolutely TRUE!

and

Originally Posted by brickhistory:
Based on....your opinion?

YES! Obviousy...

How very objective and intelligent of you....

con-pilot
5th Dec 2006, 20:45
Never mind now folks, she claims she was misquoted due to her poor Spanish. Of course seeing she was in Portugal it would have helped if she spoke Portuguese instead of Spainish, but what the heck.

In a statement issued through People magazine's Web site, Paltrow said she was "deeply upset" by remarks attributed to her by the Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias, which quoted the actress as saying: "The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans."

"I never, ever would have said that," said Paltrow, 34, who is married to British rock star Chris Martin, the lead singer of Coldplay, and resides part time with him and their two children in London.

"I feel so lucky to be American," she said. "I feel so proud to be American."

Paltrow denies giving an interview to the Portuguese daily, though she did speak at a news conference in Spanish, according to People.

"This is what I said," Paltrow explained. "I said that Europe is a much older culture, and there's a difference. I always say in America, people live to work, and in Europe, people work to live. There are positives in both."

She added: "Obviously, I need to go back to seventh-grade Spanish."

Paltrow, who won an Academy Award in 1999 as best actress for her role in "Shakespeare in Love," was most recently in theaters in the film "Running with Scissors."

Rich Lee
5th Dec 2006, 20:47
Whew! That was close!:eek:

West Coast
5th Dec 2006, 20:48
"we keep Renee Zellweger"

Heeeeellllll no, trade her for Kiera. If Kiera is in need of a stalker, I'm available for long and short term contracts.

matt_hooks
5th Dec 2006, 21:23
Westy, keep yer thieving mitts OFF my Kiera!

You can have that dozy stick Kate Moss, and please take her crackhead boyfriend as well!

Oh, and we can send you a few million chav birds too, they'd go down rather well with (on perhaps?) your working classes and they'd think a trailer was the height of luxury.

Course you'd have to get a welfare system they could sponge off, and a mass order of Argos "GOLD" chains!

Howard Hughes
6th Dec 2006, 00:37
Gwyneth: British are more intelligent

Maybe so, but they still can't play CRICKET!!;)

West Coast
6th Dec 2006, 04:08
"You can have that dozy stick Kate Moss"

I don't think I could afford to keep her in the cocaine lifestyle she's accustomed to.

chuks
6th Dec 2006, 06:35
Send us Vickie Pollard and we will send you Britney Spears. Then we can both point and laugh at each other, when everyone is happy!

It can be rilly, rilly tragic when luvvies start thinking out loud and then find themselves accurately quoted all over the world's press, when they have to wish very hard that they hadn't said that.

Many of them are, at best, people of limited intelligence and exposure to the real world, treasured because they are pretty and able to remember their lines and emote on cue.

Somehow the clever stuff that screenwriters come up with is taken for an actor's original thoughts and emotions by the general public until suddenly the mouth opens and out pops the real person.

Cheer up, Gwyneth! It could be worse; look at Mel Gibson's problems. Is it not better to look like an anglophile dunderhead than a raving anti-semite?

Conan The Barber
6th Dec 2006, 07:22
The British are much more intelligent and civilized
Everybody is.

ORAC
6th Dec 2006, 07:24
Is it not better to look like an anglophile dunderhead than a raving anti-semite?
It depends whether the audience is Jewish or Scottish..... :}

Tricky Woo
6th Dec 2006, 07:34
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

Heh heh heh.

Language difficulties or not, one imagines that everyone's going to pounce on any remark a famous person makes, no matter how out of context, or flippantly said. Cannot be an easy thing being famous.

TW

frostbite
6th Dec 2006, 12:16
"The British are much more intelligent and civilized"

Obviously never watched 'The Weakest Link'.

An extending car aerial is what, telescopic or telegenic?

Telegenic

wbryce
6th Dec 2006, 14:16
"Bush declares war against Gwyneth"

West Coast
6th Dec 2006, 14:58
A good candidate for the axis of evil.

Gainesy
6th Dec 2006, 15:37
Yer can have bloody Jane Fonda back too, presently advertising anti-aircraf... er, anti-wrinkle cream on UK TV.:E

Loose rivets
6th Dec 2006, 15:45
Oooo yes please...send her to Texas. 'just run a DVD of Barbarella for some reason. Just curious, but couldn't stop watching it though. :E

brickhistory
6th Dec 2006, 16:44
Yer can have bloody Jane Fonda back too, presently advertising anti-aircraf... er, anti-wrinkle cream on UK TV.:E

chuks
6th Dec 2006, 16:52
Hanoi Jane is wonderfully preserved, largely thanks to a strict program of exercise and the odd bit of cosmetic surgery, so that adjusted for age she is quite the Babe. Do bear in mind though that 'Barbarella' was released about 35 years ago.

Too, I have a feeling that Jane is one of those opinionated people who just will not stop talking. Once you got through admiring her looks then her yak-yak-yakking would probably be a bit off-putting.

It is just a feeling, mind you, but I bet that North Vietnamese gun crew, after a few hours of having to listen to her feminist, leftist rhetoric probably wanted pretty badly for her to have an accident cleaning an AK-47, say.

Conan The Barber
6th Dec 2006, 17:26
Jane Fonda, and the whispers. Just like Sophie Scholl. yes?

Loki
6th Dec 2006, 21:07
Ok, we`ll take Jane Fonda; on condition that you take Glenda Jackson and Vanessa Redgrave.

brickhistory
6th Dec 2006, 22:16
Ok, we`ll take Jane Fonda; on condition that you take Glenda Jackson and Vanessa Redgrave.

Right, now we are making some progress!

Ok, we'll take these two nutjobs, you get Jane.
We'll trade you Jessica Simpson AND her lip-sychincing (sp?) sister in exchange for Kate Winslet................

You keep Rupert whatever his name and Elton, we keep Seigfred and Roy....

obgraham
7th Dec 2006, 05:26
we keep Seigfred and Roy....Wasn't one of them the guy what was et by a lion?

chuks
7th Dec 2006, 07:10
It was a white tiger and it spat Roy out after discovering that he tasted a bit odd. He survived, a bit gnawed and second-hand. Then Siegfried outed himself as being afraid of pussies, which was no surprise really.

All of this passes for normal in Las Vegas, I fear.

G-CPTN
7th Dec 2006, 07:28
There's a famous seaside town called Blackpool,
That's noted for fresh air and fun,
And Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom
Went there with young Albert, their son.

A grand little lad was young Albert
All dressed in his best; quite a swell
With a stick with an 'orse's 'ead 'andle
The finest that Woolworth's could sell.

They didn't think much to the Ocean
The waves, they were fiddlin' and small
There was no wrecks and nobody drownded
Fact, nothing to laugh at, at all.

So, seeking for further amusement
They paid and went to the zoo
Where they'd lions and tigers and camels
And old ale and sandwiches too.

There were one great big lion called Wallace
His nose were all covered with scars
He lay in a somnolent posture
With the side of his face on the bars.

Now Albert had heard about lions
How they was ferocious and wild
To see Wallace lying so peaceful
Well, it didn't seem right to the child.

So straight 'way the brave little feller
Not showing a morsel of fear
Took his stick with its 'orse's 'ead 'andle
And shoved it in Wallace's ear.

You could see the lion didn't like it
For giving a kind of a roll
He pulled Albert inside the cage with 'im
And swallowed the little lad 'ole

Then Pa, who had seen the occurrence
And didn't know what to do next
Said "Mother! Yon lions 'et Albert"
And Mother said "Well, I am vexed!"

Then Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom
Quite rightly, when all's said and done
Complained to the Animal Keeper
That the lion had eaten their son.

The keeper was quite nice about it
He said "What a nasty mishap
Are you sure it's your boy he's eaten?"
Pa said "Am I sure? There's his cap!"

The manager had to be sent for
He came and he said "What's to do?"
Pa said "Yon lion's 'et Albert
And 'im in his Sunday clothes, too."

Then Mother said, "Right's right, young feller
I think it's a shame and a sin
For a lion to go and eat Albert
And after we've paid to come in."

The manager wanted no trouble
He took out his purse right away
Saying "How much to settle the matter?"
And Pa said "What do you usually pay?"

But Mother had turned a bit awkward
When she thought where her Albert had gone
She said "No! someone's got to be summonsed"
So that was decided upon.

Then off they went to the Police Station
In front of the Magistrate chap
They told 'im what happened to Albert
And proved it by showing his cap.

The Magistrate gave his opinion
That no one was really to blame
And he said that he hoped the Ramsbottoms
Would have further sons to their name.

At that Mother got proper blazing
"And thank you, sir, kindly," said she
"What waste all our lives raising children
To feed ruddy lions? Not me!"

You've 'eard 'ow young Albert Ramsbottom,
In the Zoo up at Blackpool one year
With a stick with an 'orse's 'ead 'andle
Gave a lion a poke in the ear?

The name of the lion was Wallace,
The poke in the ear made 'im wild;
And before you could say "Bob's your Uncle,"
'E'd up and 'e'd swallowed the child.

'E were sorry the moment 'e'd done it;
With children 'e'd always been chums,
And besides, 'e'd no teeth in his noddle,
And 'e couldn't chew Albert on t'gums.

'E could feel the lad movin' inside 'im,
As 'e lay on 'is bed of dried ferns,
And it might 'ave been little lad's birthday-
'E wished 'im such 'appy returns.

But Albert kept kicking and fighting,
Till Wallace arose, feeling bad.
And felt it were time that 'e started
To stage a comeback for the lad.

So with 'is 'ead down in a corner,
On 'is front paws 'e started to walk,
And 'e coughed and 'e sneezed and 'e gargled,
'Till Albert shot out like a cork.

Old Wallace felt better direc'ly,
And 'is figure once more became lean,
But the only difference with Albert
Was 'is face and 'is 'ands were quite clean.

Meanwhile Mister and Missus Ramsbottom
'Ad gone home to tea, feelin' blue;
Ma says "I feel down in the mouth like."
Pa says, "Aye, I bet Albert does, too."

Said Ma "It just goes for to show yer
That the future is never revealed;
If I'd thought we was goin' to lose 'im
I'd 'ave not 'ad 'is boots soled and 'eeled."

"Let's look on the bright side," said Father;
"What can't be 'elped must be endured;
Every cloud 'as a silvery lining,
And we did 'ave young Albert insured."

A knock on the door came that moment,
As Father these kind words did speak.
'Twas the man from t'Prudential - 'e'd called for
Their tuppence per person per week.

When Father saw 'oo 'ad been knockin',
'E laughed, and 'e kept laughin' so
That the young man said "'What's there to laugh at?"
Pa said "You'll laugh an' all when you know."

"Excuse 'im for laughing," said Mother,
"But really, things 'appen so strange -
Our Albert's been ate by a lion;
You've got to pay us for a change."

Said the young feller from the Prudential,
"Now, come, come, let's understand this-
You don't mean to say that you've lost 'im?"
Ma says "Oh, no! we know where 'e is."

When the young man 'ad 'eard all the details,
A purse from 'is pocket he drew,
And 'e paid them, with int'rest and bonus,
The sum of nine pounds, four and two.

Pa 'ad scarce got 'is 'and on the money
When a face at the window they see,
And Mother says "Eeh! look, it's Albert."
And Father says "Aye, it would be."

Young Albert came in all excited,
And started 'is story to give,
And Pa says "I'll never trust lions
Again, not as long as I live."

The young man from the Prudential
To pick up the money began,
And Father says "Eeh! just a moment,
Don't be in a 'urry, young man."

Then giving young Albert a shilling,
He said "Pop off back to the Zoo.
"'Ere's yer stick with the 'orse's 'ead 'andle-
Go and see wot the Tigers can do!"

Gainesy
7th Dec 2006, 08:47
Germaine Greer.

Back to Oz with yer. Dozy cow complains about the noise from Duxford. How can anybody complain about the sound of Merlin engines at full chat?:confused:

I applaud her bra-burning antics, just a shame she took it off first.

yakker
7th Dec 2006, 09:28
Gainsey, I have sent a message to the Aussie cricket team, telling them they will get Germaine Greer and the Ashes if they win. Expect to see England fortunes improve now.

Windy Militant
7th Dec 2006, 10:13
Is this the same Vacuous gob on a stick that not that long ago complained that British men were churlish barbarians that she wouldn't touch with a barge pole! :rolleyes:

Binoculars
7th Dec 2006, 13:10
I suspect the opinion in a vast majority of cases is mutual.

And we don't want her back here either, you've had her longer than we did, nine tenths of the law and all that...

Huck
7th Dec 2006, 14:14
The reason Jane divorced Ted Turner is that she found God, and Ted found out it wasn't him.....
By the way, I don't care who we send to you, as long as we get Jenny Harrison (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/images/harrison.jenny.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/harrison.jenny.html&h=450&w=280&sz=16&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=_3DMW5F1yrRr6M:&tbnh=127&tbnw=79&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2Bjenny%2Bharrison%2Bcnn%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3De n%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DG ) from the CNN London office....

obgraham
7th Dec 2006, 16:46
as long as we get Jenny Harrison from the CNN London office....Good grief, man, she just climbed off her broomstick!

ORAC
7th Dec 2006, 17:13
And can we have Catherine Zeta-Jones back please......

Huck
7th Dec 2006, 17:37
Good grief, man, she just climbed off her broomstick!

That's a bad picture. And I couldn't find a better one. She does the weather on CNN World.

Rich Lee
7th Dec 2006, 18:06
And can we have Catherine Zeta-Jones back please......

Dream on! The entire military might of the U.S. is on the highest state of alert to prevent that very occurance.:*

Loki
7th Dec 2006, 19:34
Alright then, we`ll have Halle Berry then (one of her parents was, I think, from these shores); it`s only fair.