View Full Version : Who pays for your type rating courses?

Road cone
5th Dec 2006, 09:50
As a trans tasman LAME (thats the good rugby playing countries) I'm very keen to know about how the rest of world treats the ethical delima of who pay's for your type rating course when in full time employment.....is it the company who want to use it?...or the engineer who want's to get paid for it??

Blacksheep
6th Dec 2006, 01:26
Our company provides the training. Trainees are bonded for three years - that is, if they leave within the three years, they have to pay for the course. Seems fair to me; the RAF trained me on a three year apprenticeship on condition that I gave them twelve years of my life, which seemed like a good deal at the time.

Maybe it was... :hmm:

greasysidedown
6th Dec 2006, 01:54
Air Canada pays for the course and then basically nothing. I get around $27 can for 3 endorsments {37, 47 &767}every 2 weeks.
There is some type of requirement to stay 2 years after that or you'd be required to pay it back. But I don't think thats ever been tested.

Rigga
6th Dec 2006, 12:33
Some UK MRO's and Airlines jack you for a Bond of between two and five years and, if you leave, there is a sliding scale of percentage repayment rates.

Some companies have a rule that any course, of more than a few days duration, is bond-able!

Normally, the company will ask you to sign a Bond Agreement as you start the course, which is a legal contract. If you don't sign - you don't do the course. Exceptions to this are normally office staff who may not use the course (in anger) or Connies - who are paying anyway.