PDA

View Full Version : QF Carpark

rammel
5th Dec 2006, 08:55
Did anyone see the fire today in the MEL Staff Car Park. Unfortunatly at least 6 cars were completly gutted, and another 8-10 with minor damage. It was on the fenceline that is shared with the old AN carpark. It was speculated that it could have been started by a cigarette, a hot exhaust or even a hot brake. It was in the grass and weeds along the fence. Also apperently there was little the MFB could do immediately as there was no hydrant connection.

I didn't get any pics, I could have but luckily my car was not involved and it didn't seem right to take them.

hotnhigh
6th Dec 2006, 09:01
Rammel, OS at the moment OCS, how's the blue vn looking???????:ouch:

captain_cranky
6th Dec 2006, 09:16
Sorry H&H....:(

Dropt McGutz
7th Dec 2006, 08:34
You should have taken the pics rammel and submitted them to Qantas News. At least we could have then read something about Qantas and not Jetstar!

rammel
7th Dec 2006, 10:54
Didn't think of that at the time. For a company which is supposedly a seperate entity to Qantas, they sure do take up a lot of space in QANTAS News.

Mr.Buzzy
7th Dec 2006, 21:58
"Ya hallo, Porsha Melbourne, ve have vays of making you happy"

"Yes, Captain Boffin here, you remember me? I was in your garage last week having the fingerprints removed from my 930 convertible's oil filter. Yes that's me.... well your latte was dreadful..... Anyway, we appear to have a problem; I'd like a full refund on my motorcar!"

"Yaaa... Vy iz zat?"

"It appears that the car is not fireproof! Not only did my moustache wax melt but my fine collection of Enya and Moby CD's has been damaged. I demand a full refund including the cost of reinstalling my cigar humidor in my new Benz"

bbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz

sydney s/h
7th Dec 2006, 22:22
And the best bit.... QF management have advised that they wont be covering any of the cars through insurance. Apparently you park there at your own risk.

Keg
7th Dec 2006, 23:46
The only way you'll get QF to cough up any dough is if the damage to the vehicles was in some way due to QFs negligence. If it wasn't due to their negligence then you'll get nothing from them.

If it's due to someone else's negligence then you may be able to go them for the costs but if it's just an 'accident' then you're buggered.

Dropt McGutz
7th Dec 2006, 23:53
Was flying with an FA yesterday whose friend had her car destroyed and the police believe that it was caused by a cigarette butt thrown into the grass. You really have to wonder about the intelligence of some people.

Enema Bandit's Dad
8th Dec 2006, 00:10
Yes, particuarly with what smoking does to your body too.

Kubin rock climber
8th Dec 2006, 00:40
Yep about a dozen cars involved, 6 or 7 totally burnt out, suspect most of the others damaged badly enough to be written off.

On the bus yesterday with a gaggle of sh fa's all chatting about the big fire. One of whom was finishing a 4 day trip and knew nothing about it . . . . . . . You gussed it his car burnt to a crisp! Moby, Kylie and New Order cd's all toast :{ Poor bloke took it pretty well all things considered.

Given the company will have a fairly good idea of who was in the carpark at the time will be interesting to see if it's pursued any further.

murgatroid
8th Dec 2006, 02:08
So who's responsible to keep the grass and weeds under control so as not to cause a fire hazard?

MELKBQF
8th Dec 2006, 03:27
Its rumoured that the security cameras in the car park have not been opeartional for some time hence the reason why we now have Qantas security patrolling the car park during the evening and early morning.

Kiwiconehead
8th Dec 2006, 03:32
Its rumoured that the security cameras in the car park have not been opeartional for some time

Not surprising, given the difficulty they have in even keeping the gates operational.

podbreak
8th Dec 2006, 03:43
I heard the cameras were removed under the Sustainable Futures cost cutting program.. :}

rammel
8th Dec 2006, 09:35
I don't know about the cameras not being operational, but there is a fair chance that they don't work or are not monitored too well. I know the signs say that you park at your own risk, but you don't expect to have any more than a few scratches from bags to happen. Maybe the ocassional accident, but your car burnt to a crisp, I don't think so.

Even if QF are not liable, it wouldn't harm to give out say a week of cab vouchers to those who are rostered on over the next week. Yes it may cost them a bit ($1000ish maybe?), but it would show that they are not complete pr!cks all the time.

Apophis
9th Dec 2006, 00:30
but they are !

Redstone
9th Dec 2006, 01:06
QF care factor = 0

max autobrakes
9th Dec 2006, 12:31
Pass-A-Frozo for CEO! :}

WYBMADIITY
12th Dec 2006, 04:40
My car was one of the 7 or 8 that were destroyed. I have action photos, sorry, no flames, just smoke and foam. If any fellow victim would like copies, drop me a line.

twiggs
12th Dec 2006, 22:10
Heard on the 3AW rumour file that the fire truck could not initially get into the carpark because it could not fit through the entrance.

rammel
12th Dec 2006, 22:32
I don't know about the MFB fire trucks not being able to fit through the gates. But I do know that once they had things sorted, they had no water to use as there is no hydrant there. So the airport firies were called, and their trucks look like they wouldn't fit through the gates. But they have water onboard and don't need to use a hydrant.