View Full Version : Converting FAA license

jai6638
5th Dec 2006, 03:20
Hello there..

I recently got my FAA PPL and was wondering if the UAE aviation authority would issue me a local license against the FAA one? If not, how would I go about getting a local license?

Thanks much.

Schnowzer
5th Dec 2006, 04:06
Why? A UAE licence won't get you a job anymore than a FAA licence. So get a job on the FAA and then the company you work for will get the UAE licence for you.

jai6638
5th Dec 2006, 16:56
I don't plan to work commercially in the UAE.. I heard that in order to fly for ?pleasure" in the UAE, you need to get a local license... is this true? If so, how do I go about getting it?

Panama Jack
5th Dec 2006, 22:58
Yup, that would be true if you plan to fly an Emirati registered aircraft.

You should contact the GCAA at the following:

http://www.gcaa.ae/en/?T=1&ID=30

LICENSING & AEROMEDICAL SECTION
PO BOX 30500
DUBAI
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

TEL.NO - + 971 4 2111562
FAX NO - + 971 4 2826233
EMAIL - [email protected]

Depends on if you want only a temporary validation of your FAA Certificate (you would need to keep the FAA one valid) or do a full conversion, which may involve an Air Law Examination. Better to write them, get it from the horse's mouth.

jai6638
5th Dec 2006, 23:48
Yup, that would be true if you plan to fly an Emirati registered aircraft.
You should contact the GCAA at the following:
http://www.gcaa.ae/en/?T=1&ID=30
LICENSING & AEROMEDICAL SECTION
PO BOX 30500
DUBAI
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
TEL.NO - + 971 4 2111562
FAX NO - + 971 4 2826233
EMAIL - [email protected]
Depends on if you want only a temporary validation of your FAA Certificate (you would need to keep the FAA one valid) or do a full conversion, which may involve an Air Law Examination. Better to write them, get it from the horse's mouth.

I will send them an email.. However, will the "temporary validation of the FAA certificate" allow me to fly in the UAE in a UAE registered rental aircraft?

Thanks much for the help!

Panama Jack
5th Dec 2006, 23:58
However, will the "temporary validation of the FAA certificate" allow me to fly in the UAE in a UAE registered rental aircraft?
Thanks much for the help!

That would be the whole point of getting a temporary validation of your FAA certificate. Otherwise, if you were fortunate enough to find an N-registered aircraft in the UAE, all you would need to do is make sure enough fuel is in the tanks, file your flight plan and go (no need for a licence validation from the Emirati authorities).

The whole difference and point behind a full conversion or a validation (and this applies not only for the Emirates but almost all countries of the world) is that a conversion is a stand-alone licence with it's own validity, while the validation only recognizes your foreign licence, giving you the privledge to fly locally registered airplanes with the privledges you have at home. However, if your "back-home" licence expires, or becomes invalid (such as flight review, etc), then so does your validation. In many countries, a licence validation is good for a short time only-- maybe a year or so.

jai6638
6th Dec 2006, 00:04
I see.. Cool!

Will touchbase with them and see what the requirements are for a temporary validation!

Having never flown alone in the country before ( although I was born and brought up in the UAE), what would you recommend before I go up and fly alone? I've flown with a local instructor at dxb and looking at how busy it is, I'll probably try and fly out of Sharjah or Fujairah.

Panama Jack
6th Dec 2006, 18:04
Try searching for a post I made 2 or 3 months ago, listing some flying schools in the UAE. Most everything seems to outside of the Dubai/Sharjah megalopolis, and probably for good reason and in my opinion, probably a lot more pleasant overall. I imagine landing fees alone would be quite damaging to your recreational flying budget not to mention that the controllers who request most of their traffic to "maintain 160 knots to 5 miles" would appreciate 2-seat 90 knot on final types slipping in.

jai6638
7th Dec 2006, 00:47
Thats true.. Flew with an instructor at Emirates Aviation Services and man, he was racing down the runway! THe controller probably said "expedite" 3-4 times ( takeoff, landing, taxing )... Not to mention the 10 min hold before landing!! Cool experience but probably not a lot of fun after doing it a few times!!!

I thought Sharjah was not a very busy airport! If it is busy, I suppose UAQ and Fujairah are my options....Will look for your post..

jai6638
10th Dec 2006, 13:02
Recieved a reply from the authority.. Apaarently, I need to convert my PPL.

"Dear Sir,

In reply to your email, kindly be advised that in order to fly in UAE, you need to convert your FAA PPL license to UAE PPL license..

Kindly contact any flight training school within UAE to guide you about the license conversion procedure. Some of the flight training schools are:-

* Umm Alquain Aeroclub
* Fujaira Aviation Academy
* Emirates Flying School
* Emirates Aviation College
* Horizion International Flight Academy"

bummer..