PDA

View Full Version : Who's your Person of the Year, 2006?

AcroChik
4th Dec 2006, 21:27
Sure it's a little early, ambitious candidates have four weeks to do something truly grand or outrageously hideous, but let's get a jump on Time Magazine and honor Jet Blast's Person of the Year, 2006.

I nominate the Dear Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea, Kim Jong Il.

Why?

At 64 years old he's successfully running the family business and holding down two jobs: Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army, and General Secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea ~ the sole party in his homeland since 1948. His time management skills must be great.

And he's rich! According to the US House Intelligence Committee, he's worth about $4 billion. No doubt he leads a lifestyle many would envy, even if his wardrobe seems rather drab.

He's got refined tastes! Apparently he fancies French wines and collects Mercedes cars. And he's got his own luxuriously appointed private train. No boring head of state BBJ for this fellow.

He's got great PR! He sells himself successfully as "The People's Protector." George and Tony must be jealous.

As if all that wasn't enough, he's got actual Weapons of Mass Destruction, tested them on October 9th, and managed to avoid becoming the immediate target of "regime change." Now, that's smart.

Jerrold M Post, a former CIA analyst and now professor at George Washington University says, "He's assuredly not crazy." No one so eminent's ever said that about me.

frostbite
4th Dec 2006, 21:39
All I can think of right now are the many who sure as hell wouldn't be.

Buster Hyman
4th Dec 2006, 21:52
Hmmm...tricky. I'm trying to pick between Mel Gibson & Michael Richards...with a late entry by Danny DeVito.:rolleyes:

Davaar
4th Dec 2006, 21:53
I recall the poem recited about his Dad. British POWs were having a camp concert and "an heroic sergeant", as he was referred to in a British Government Blue Book issued at the time, went up on stage. His party piece ran:

They seek him here,
They seek him there;
They seek the bastard everywhere.
Will he be shot?
Or will he be hung?
That demned elusive Kim Il Sung.

For this, he was beaten with rifle butts and sent up, bruised and bleeding, to apologise. He announced he could best do this with a story, as follows:

Three soldiers were shot dead at the very same instant in Korea, and arrived together at the Pearly Gates. St Peter was waiting with a personnel manifest. Yes? he queried.

First Soldier: Ah'm Wullie Tamson, Private, First Battalion, the Black Watch. Jist been kill't in Korea.

St Peter: Welcome. We've been expecting you. First door on the right, clean up, draw a pair of wings, make sure they fit, can't trust the tailors these days, and God will see you this evening.

Second soldier: Ah am Homer Dwight Eisenbahn, Top Sergeant, United States Rangers, jes' bin shot in Korea.

St Peter: Welcome. We've been expecting you. First door on the right, clean up, draw a pair of wings, make sure they fit, can't trust the tailors these days, and God will see you this evening.

Third soldier: Ha! Kim Il Chung, North Korean Infantry. Just killed in Korea.

St Peter (rustling through his files): Awfully sorry, Old Chap, no record of you, none at all!

Protest by Korean infantryman.

St Peter: Well, I'd let you in if it was up to me, but that would be as much as my job is worth. Sorry. No can do.

Further protest.

St Peter: Well, I've told you I'm sorry, but frankly we just can't cook rice for one.

Upon this the guards were about to assault him further when the audience started a riot and it was deemed wise to let it be.

CHIVILCOY
4th Dec 2006, 22:12
"Who's your Person of the Year, 2006?"

My wife.:ok:

matt_hooks
4th Dec 2006, 22:16
"Who's your Person of the Year, 2006?"
My wife.:ok:

Eurgh, could someone pass me a bucket! ;)

Only kidding fella, lovely sentiment!

My vote goes to our wonderful premier, Tony B Liar, for services to fiction!

tony draper
4th Dec 2006, 22:19
Fred Dibnah of course,shall we see his like again. :(

John Prescott
4th Dec 2006, 22:20
Saddam Hussein for his immpecable use of the '' finger of justice'' as he read the prosecution their horoscope at his recent trial!

His time in the nick appears to have turned him into something of a cool dude:)

G-CPTN
4th Dec 2006, 22:28
Fred Dibnah of course,shall we see his like again. :(
Not since 2004. 6th November 2004 in fact.

brickhistory
4th Dec 2006, 23:11
The Idiot, of course!
Smart, cunning, singularly focused on satisfying her own needs/cravings; a role model for us all! :ok:

AcroChik
4th Dec 2006, 23:28
The Idiot, of course!
Smart, cunning, singularly focused on satisfying his own needs/cravings; a role model for us all! :ok:

What name does he use on Pprune?

brickhistory
4th Dec 2006, 23:31
She gets her owner, Foss to post his adventures.

See the It's a Dog's Life threads....................

G-CPTN
4th Dec 2006, 23:31
Foss's tales of his (female) dog.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232826&highlight=dogs+life
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242192&highlight=dogs+life
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250251&highlight=dogs+life

If you want an assembled version PM me. I've 'archived it as it's unwound.

con-pilot
5th Dec 2006, 00:09
"The idiot"

What name does he use on Pprune?

err, con-pilot? :uhoh:

West Coast
5th Dec 2006, 05:21
Me of course.

Finally got that damn garage organized.
Office addition completed.
Log book caught up.
Backyard irrigation pipes replaced.
Learned to maintain the pool myself.
Found a somewhat unknown fresh water fishing hole locally.
Caught a roughly five foot six gill shark off La Jolla...and released it.
Fewer posts on PPRUNE (I think)
More time spent with family.
Off Chief Pilots shit list (I think)

This list goes on.....

Cheerio
5th Dec 2006, 08:20
Yes I would second JP's proposal - that 21st Century Matinee Idol the re-invented Saddam Hussein. What a sterling job he has done in the dock this year. Before the next year is out and he is barely cold in the ground, we will be wishing for a return to the good old days where the smack of firm government kept all those naughty sectarians from fighting each other. It will be proven conclusively that his way of doing things works in an environment like that, and that you can't foist 'freedom' onto people until they are ready for it.

moosp
5th Dec 2006, 14:32
I think you'll find that AcroChick despite her apparent American orgin has double bluffed us with her irony. Another American sterotype dispelled- it can be found in the USA. Well done that pilot...!

Oh, back to the thread. The UNHCR head, Mr. António Guterres, who has done his best, with zero support and less money to try to stop the genocide in Darfu.

On a lighter note, The Singapore taxi driver who came back 10km to the airport to deliver my wallet to me which had dropped out of my pocket in his cab, and tried to refuse the fare.

Loki
5th Dec 2006, 14:36
Fidel Castro

If only because he probably won`t make it for the 2007 awards.

Foss
5th Dec 2006, 15:14
Idiot as person of 2006

I'm sure she'd be delighted, but she doesn't know what day it is never mind the year. Probably just chew any trophy after running round any award ceremony proving she's the brain of a walnut.
TV coverage would just have me shouting 'SIT, FOR GODS SAKE, SIT, YOU'RE BENG FILMED.'
woo? woo hoo?
Fos