PDA

View Full Version : Viscount circling the M25

TimS
4th Dec 2006, 14:00
As one was passing junction 18 anti-clockwise or thereabouts on the M25 this afternoon I overtook a bright red (Datapost) Viscount cockpit and front door section on the back of lorry.

Anyone know where it came from or is going - and why ?

One has a soft spot for the od Viscount - inummerable jump seatrides over neary 30 years and many commercial dealings with the old ladies !

chevvron
4th Dec 2006, 14:53
You were lucky a jumpseat was fitted. I had to stand all the way from Inverness to Sumburgh once (via Wick and Kirkwall) in a BEA Viscount as there was no jump seat! Great view crossing Scapa Flow at 500ft!!

TimS
4th Dec 2006, 15:14
Rarely actually used the seat though ! Those were the days !

GBALU53
4th Dec 2006, 16:16
Only had one oppurtunity for a jump seat ride in the Viscount it was one of the Intra Airways 800 Viscounts Jersey to Brussels a great British aircraft.

Was a Brroklands two weeks ago and it was nice talking to the some of the helpers there we spent a lot of time in the British Air Ferries Viscount G-APIM.

The pilot who flew this aircraft in did so on his retirement day which was his birthday, his family were from Jersey many years ago so a lot of us know them.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
4th Dec 2006, 17:49
I, too once had a 'stand up' flight deck ride on a Viscount - Manch to Jersey - no jump seat, so hanging on to the back of P2's seat during t/o was fun!.

As we entered 06 at Manch, the captain turned to me and said "if anything goes wrong, you weren't here!"

plinkplanky
4th Dec 2006, 23:11
The cockpit of G-OPAS (ex G-AOYN) went to duxford after being scrapped at southend. Could be that perhaps?

Le Tirer
5th Dec 2006, 10:58
As just reported on the Bournemouth Group on Yahoo

"[G-OPAS] Viscount forward fuse on a lo
loader at museum. Red Parcel Force
scheme with AS on Nosewheel door."

Jamie-Southend
5th Dec 2006, 21:23
Have not seen that one since it "got the chop" at SEN

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/Jamie-Southend/v.jpg

plinkplanky
5th Dec 2006, 23:18
last time I went to duxford, it was hidden awy from public view. If you went to the vegetable garden of the prefab, you could see it through the fence. great shame!

plinkplanky
7th Dec 2006, 18:10
Apparently cockpit has gone to Bournemouth!

Foul-Sudan
8th Dec 2006, 13:20
The last time I sat in that cockpit doing the checks in Berlin, the door burst open and an aged American blue rinse squawked at me and said-
" Excuse me sonny. Is this the First Class compartment ?

Happy Daze